Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

Reccommend your convertible car seat.

We are ready to transition to a convertible car seat.  I had registered for the Britax Marathon 70.  Now, not sure if that's what I should get.  Do you love yours?  WHat is it?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Reccommend your convertible car seat.

• Options
    We have the Britax Marathon 65 G3. We like it
  • Options
    We got the Chicco NextFit. It is crazy easy to install and looks comfy. My second one will be a Diono Radian since they have one of the smallest footprint and my husbands car is super tight.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Check out the facebook site Car Seats for the Littles.  There are car seat techs on there constantly and you can post your car, child's age, measurements, etc and within minutes they will recommend to you what seat is the safest for your child (plus other people usually chime in with their favorite seat as well).   Good luck!
  • Options
    It's a fine seat but, like all Britax seats, it has a much shorter shell than a lot of other seats on the market.  For that reason alone it's not a recommended seat for kids who are over the 30th percentile for height.  If your little is tall, research the Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise (same seat under different names at different stores) or the Diono Radian.  They're the tallest seats on the market and will allow you to rear face your child for quite some time and then transition to a forward facing harness for years :)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    CrequitoCrequito member
    edited November 2013

Graco My Size 70 - love it.  DD doesn't mind it either.

PS - DD has been 95th percentile and above since birth.  She's a long one and outgrew her infant seat heightwise a few months ago (7.5 mos now).  The Graco My Size 70 goes higher in height than the My Size 65 but otherwise they're very similar.

• Options
    Diono Radian GXT. 

• Options
    We just ordered new car seats for my five (we are moving to a new country and they have to meet the standards set by the country.)
    My youngest four were in:
    DD2: is six years old and was rear facing at her request in a Foonf.  She is going to go forward facing in Britax frontier CT (forward facing only)
    DS: is in an RXT, and going back into one. He is 31 months and still rear facing.  He has quite a ways to grow before he will be anywhere out of outgrowing it.
    DD3: is currently in a combi coccoro.  She is going into a Peg Perego convertible car seat.  She is fifteen months.
    DD4: is 9 months and is rear facing in a coccoro as well.  She too will be going into a Peg Perego. 
    Britax has a short shell and won't last as long as some of the longer shelled car seats for rear facing.  I would recommend Diono, or if you can swing it the foonf.  They are both really good seats.
  • Options
    Ok, please excuse my copy and paste here. However, I wrote out a really nice explination of seats on 9-12 a few days ago and would rather not write it over again. So, here it is:

You want a good car seat for RF. Both the AAP and NHTSA advise that they RF til at least 2 years of age, but maxing out the seats limits somewhere around age 3-4 is best (NHTSA say 2-4 years for RF). It's 5 times safer for them to RF til age 4 when their bones are a bit more ossified. FFing too early can mean internal decapitation at much lower speeds than when they are older. For this reason you want a nice good seat with a big shell. The best seats on the market for this is the Diono Radian RXT or r120, Clek Foonf, Chicco Nextfit, and Graco Headwise/MySize/Size4Me. Any one of these seats with RF til at least 3 years, maybe more for some kids. I will say though that if you have a beefier kid the Radian and the Foonf have higher RF weight limits (Radian is 45, for now, and Foonf is 50). I personally have 3 Radian RXT's and a Foonf in my car. I love Radians a lot since they are very low profile, can fit 3 across in normal cars, and very slim when you use the angle adjuster. We have 2 RF Radians in my SO's Dodge Dart, that's pretty impressive.

Now, I will advise against Britax car seats. They used to be very good seats. If you asked me 2-3 years ago what seat to get I'd tell you Britax. The problem is that when they made the new RFing recs Britax redesigned their seats to take more weight RFing, but made the shells shorter. Now you'll get pretty lucky to have a child RF til 2 in a Britax car seat. Where in one of the seats above you could feasibly get a kid with a standing height of like 44 inches in one RFing, but in a Britax is more like 36 inches. It's woefully short shelled. For the price you pay for them you might as well get one of the better seats above truly meant for RFing. Not everyone agrees since they have such a good marketing scheme, but it is the facts on it.

Anyways, that's my whole shpeil there. I hope you pick a good seat. Goodluck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Also, if you want to know why ERF is such an important thing, please watch this video. Be prepared with the tissues. This mother went through so much and is now one of the biggest advocate of ERF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuLq_Jr69ak&feature=share
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    @nana_osaki06 -is the reason you don't recc the britax only for the lower rf height capacity? I just bought a roundabout on sale for my mom, so we have one of those in each of the grandparents cars - because they had good ratings and were cheap on sale.  Luckily M is small so she may make it until she's 2 or so.  She's still in a baby seat with us and we're eying the next fit for spring some time since we have loved the key fit.

Cant wait to try to explain to the grandparents why we should leave it RF.  Having enough trouble with the whole winter coat thing! Keep sharing the videos -they should help.
    Yes, one of biggest beefs with Britax is that it has some of the shortest shells on the market. More so for the Roundabout since it's the small seat. Really, with the way the new seats are made and designed if your child is over 30%tile then you probably won't make it to 2 in a Britax seat. Plus there are many other very good engineering features of the other seats I've mentioned. I think for Grandparents seats it's not a huge deal. My parents have Graco MyRides for my daughter and the rest have Radians. However, if you plan on ERF Britax seats are not the way to go. We're not just talking til 2, we're talking the full recommendation of 3-4. Since even at 2 their spines aren't ossified enough.
  • Options
    Crequito said:

Graco My Size 70 - love it.  DD doesn't mind it either.

PS - DD has been 95th percentile and above since birth.  She's a long one and outgrew her infant seat heightwise a few months ago (7.5 mos now).  The Graco My Size 70 goes higher in height than the My Size 65 but otherwise they're very similar.

This is us too! My brother has the same one for my nephew & loves it as well.

~10.23.10 - Mr&Mrs ~ 04.12.13 - Daddy&Mommy~

Every Super Star needs a Sidekick! Miss B. is being promoted to BIG SIS ~ January 2015!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Baby GIRL #2 is due Jan. 7, 2015!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"