Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Long days

Our LO will be one month old tomorrow and she will not let me put her down during the day for more than ten to fifteen minutes. She takes cat naps during the day...the max is thirty to forty five minutes after that he wakes up and cries until she is picked up. Basically, I can't do anything or get anything done during the day. I also have a 2.5 yr and am a SAHM. Sometimes she cries and can't be consoled. What is wrong with her?!? Help!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Long days

• There's nothing *wrong* with her. She's 4 weeks and she wants to be held. That's normal. Have you tried wearing her?
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Ehh..with all do respect, I tend to disagree. It's not normal to have to be held 24/7. When my two year old was an infant, he was very content and loved the swing or glider. She is the very opposite. I'm not saying something "wrong" I guess I'm wondering if she's colic or something. Just didn't know if other moms where experiencing similar things.
  • Loading the player...
  • Babies, like adults, have different personalities and different abilities to cope with change. Some babies transition really well from the womb to the world, but others struggle a lot. Colic is really just a way of describing particularly fussy babies. If your LO is crying (while healthy, fed, dry, etc) for 3 or more hours on 3 or more days a week for at least 3 weeks, then they meet the criteria for colic. But even then, there's really nothing "wrong" with a colicky baby and there's not much that can be done other than to wait for them to grow out of it.

My first went through a particularly fussy phase around that age. Our pediatrician said that the crying tends to peak around 6 weeks and then starts to get progressively better. In the meantime, I recommend baby wearing and the five S's from Happiest Baby on the Block.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How long is she awake between naps?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • How long is she awake between naps?

She has gone six hours before without napping.
    I can wear her as you ladies are suggesting and she will sleep, but will that form habits where she has to be held in order to sleep?
  • Eaglehigh said:
    How long is she awake between naps?
    She has gone six hours before without napping. I can wear her as you ladies are suggesting and she will sleep, but will that form habits where she has to be held in order to sleep?
    I wear my LO to get stuff done around the house, it is nice be because he gets to nap while I run around but now he only naps in the carrier or in my arms. He's 9 weeks and I've been trying to teach him to nap in his crib for a week now and it's been really tough. Wearing LO is great but I'd say also teach him to nap on his own. 
  • Even it wasn't the case for your first it IS totally normal behavior. Look into the 4th trimester.

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Eaglehigh said:
    How long is she awake between naps?
    She has gone six hours before without napping.
    Have you tried putting her down before that?  My LO is a month old as well, and we put him down after 45-50 minutes of awake time (in which he eats, gets a diaper change, and hangs out for a bit). He goes to bed awake, swaddled (escape proof swaddle- see youtube), and has a paci that he sometimes takes.

I would try putting your LO down before then. Yes, some babies nap wherever and whenever but other babies do better when given the opportunity to nap. Instead of waiting for you LO to fall asleep, try putting her down after 45 minutes of awake time (I highly recommend swaddling too).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • I wore DS constantly at the beginning and he can nap fine on his own now and rarely likes to lay on me.  He also falls asleep on his own in his crib.  It's still early to create a bad habit.
    Good lord... this!!

Forming a habit?  You're kidding, right?

Either hold LO or wear LO.  
    Try EASY --  Eat, Activity, Sleep, You.  So, you should feed LO upon waking, put LO somewhere to be stimulated or talk to LO\read to LO, engage your older LO with younger LO, put LO down for sleep, and then commit to you time or some type of activity for older LO that needs your undivided attention.  Using this routine should help.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • taraleannetaraleanne member
    edited November 2013
    Sounds normal to me! 
    I knew a baby who had to be held 24/7 and I seriously mean that...ALL DAY and ALL night till she was 3 months old. Then one day everything changed in a snap. She's 7 months old now and sleeps in her crib.

TOO young to form habits! Don't compare to your first one!! Baby above was #2 for my friend. Baby #1 was nothing like that.  Who cares, wear her and get your stuff done :)  

I know every baby is different but my 5 month old can't stay awake 6 hours! She could be crying due to being overtired.... thinking back, I think that was half the problem with my LO. He wasn't colicly like people said, he was damn tired. Tired of being passed around, tired of me trying to 'get stuff done' while he was okay in a vibrating chair for 15 minutes. If I knew then what I knew now, which is how important sleep is for a happy baby, I would have spent more time cuddling him and helping him sleep rather than worrying about forming bad habits too....   I know you have a child at home so obviously this is mission impossible but if I were you I would try to focus a little more time on helping your 1 month old sleep. If that means wearing her, wear her :)   (I was also worried about habits but they can be broken later, don't sweat it) 

• ***Lurking from Toddler Board****

It's completely normal.  I know you are overwhelmed with a LO and a NB but this is completely normal behavior.  It's more tiresome it sounds like then your 1st but it just means this one has needs that are different.

To put it in perspective for you, DS wouldn't let me put him down for about 4 mos.  Literally, no down.  Like, I couldn't even sit.  Had to walk and shush.  And shush and bounce.  For four months.  I was at my wit's end and may even have made this same type of post.  But it's over now.  And I wish I had it back.  It goes so fast.  DS is not a cuddle kid.  I can't think of the last time he put his head on my shoulder and just let me sing and sway with him.  He's so independent but always comes back to "home base" to check in.  So build that trust with your LO. You aren't teaching her any habits other than Mommy is a source of security and comfort when you hold her. Babies aren't adults, you can't expect her to rationalize like one.

***going back to lurking****
    ~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"