February 2014 Moms

Late blood draw for glucose test

So I went for my glucose screening test today and after I drank the drink and they told me I need my blood drawn 1 hour after this time. I saw my doc, got a tdap shot and then they sent me back to the waiting room and told me someone would bring me back to the lab. I was sorta of keeping track of the time but assumed the nurse would come get me and take me to the lab for my blood draw. Well no one did and there I was reading a magazine and when I checked the time it was 8 mins past due so I went up to the desk and the lady started freaking out saying that they aren't supposed to do a draw after 5 mins late and why wasn't I keeping track of the time... Well no one told me I had to and I thought someone would call me back to the lab. She sent me to the lab anyway and they drew it about 9/10 mins past the time and said that now I might fail and have to redo the test??!! I am kind of peeved they are blaming me when they said someone would come get me when it was time. Is 10 minutes really going to make that big of a difference??

Anyone else have this happen and were things fine or did you have to repeat the test?

Re: Late blood draw for glucose test

• They made sure to tell me I was in charge of timing. To let them know 5min early I needed another timed draw. If you have to re-do, that sucks!!! Hope it turns out okay!
  • I feel like they should have made it clear if they wanted me to time it and notify them like they told you @cbear47 but no one said anything. Otherwise I would have made sure to set an alarm on my phone... Ugh
  • Loading the player...
  • They didn't tell me to keep track but I did anyway. Before I could say it was over a nurse had been keeping track as well and came and got me. That's what they should have did with you. That's bogus that they are blaming you!!
    I'm a sinner saved by grace and a child of the Attitude Era (Oh you didn't know?!?)
    #OurBoyD-Bryan #TeamCrossRhodes #KnowYourRoll #ShutYourMouth 
    DD#1: 9/3/2004 Noelle Catherine
    DD#2: 1/26/2014 Faith Preston
    DC(dear cat?? lol): 6/5/2009 Shane Fitzgerald Kennedy
    I married my best friend <3 DH is my knight in shining armor! 

• I would think if you are 1-5 points under the target number, they might use this as a reason to make you test again.  However, 10 minutes isn't going to make a huge difference.  If your number isn't close to the cutoff point, then an extra 10 minutes wouldn't push you over.
    BFP #1 (DS, 10/98), BFP #2 (DD, 10/09)
    BFP #3 -mm/c @ 7wks, discovered at 9wks, D&C 9/28
    BFP #4 5/29 EDD 2/9 - please be our rainbow
    imageimage
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Good luck hopefully your doctor will take the time problem into consideration and not make you retest unless you were higher or really close to the too high value.

• psk said:

My office said there is an additional 7 minute grace period so you're really not that off from the timeframe. Like I took my first sip at 8:45 AM. My appointment was at 9:30am, but we had a major problem getting to the appointment that morning... to the point where i was in tears in the car thinking I'd have to drink it again... and I ran up to the desk at 9:50am and they rushed me back for the blood draw and said I had a 7 minute grace period. I think when it was all said and done I was closer to the 8/9 minute mark once they got me ready and stuff for the draw.

ETA: Things were fine. I passed the test and did not have to take anything over.

That's good to know. Keeping my FX that it will be fine and I won't have to redo the test.
  • cgunarat said:

Yeah, that's bogus that they're blaming you. If you were supposed to keep track of the time, they should've let you know that. 

I wasn't late for any of my 1, 2 or 3 hour draws, but they did completely forget to take my fasting level. So, I failed my 1 hour, but passed the 2nd and 3rd. If I would've had a normal fasting level, I would have passed. I asked for them to take my fasting level, but they said no and still ended up sending me to dietician even though they completely messed up my test. I know I've complained about it a few times, but I'm still pretty peeved about it. That means paying for yet another appointment and the equipment they gave me to monitor my blood sugar (which has all been normal. Including my fasting levels in the morning). 
    Ugh that totally sucks! You would think you could just come in the morning one day for a lab only fasting blood draw and they could use that. You probably would have passed if they remembered to check. I would upset as well.

• cgunarat said:

Yeah, that's bogus that they're blaming you. If you were supposed to keep track of the time, they should've let you know that. 

I wasn't late for any of my 1, 2 or 3 hour draws, but they did completely forget to take my fasting level. So, I failed my 1 hour, but passed the 2nd and 3rd. If I would've had a normal fasting level, I would have passed. I asked for them to take my fasting level, but they said no and still ended up sending me to dietician even though they completely messed up my test. I know I've complained about it a few times, but I'm still pretty peeved about it. That means paying for yet another appointment and the equipment they gave me to monitor my blood sugar (which has all been normal. Including my fasting levels in the morning). 
    Glad to hear your levels have been normal!

• She forgot me too this morning so I went on back. The lab tech said not to worry- there is more of a window than they say. She did warn me that if I puked, I would have to start over another day. I made sure I kept it down!

• They drew my blood today almost 15 minutes late.. No one said a word or seemed concerned.. I'm not worried.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with you. If they wanted you to kelp track they should've made that clear. On my sheet when I went with DS and then my first early screening at 13 weeks with LO it clearly states on there that I need to walk back 2-3 mins prior to my schedule draw time.
    If they make you redo, it it's their fault. I'd be ticked. I go for my regular screening next week :/ I passed the first in my first tri but nervous about this one! I hope you passed and no worries!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"