Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Breastfeeding

My 3 week old daughter doesn't really nurse. Even in the hospital she had trouble latching on, when we got home it got even worse. She will do it for a little while, and then just stop. What I have been doing is pumping, and giving her the breast milk from the bottle. But I am missing the bonding of actually having her breastfeed. Any ideas? Any advice?

Re: Breastfeeding

• When you were in the hospital did they try giving you a nursing shield to help with the latch? I have very flat nipples and the shield helped tremendously.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• When you were in the hospital did they try giving you a nursing shield to help with the latch? I have very flat nipples and the shield helped tremendously.

Hello, I'm new here and haven't intro'd yet. I also have flat nipples and my milk just got in today and was wondering how the nipple shield worked for you . I used it in the hospital ( we were there for a few days due to LO having low blood sugar ( I had GD) and then his inability to get a good meal. I used it with formula and ended up having to give him formula with a bottle. I. Hoping he can use the nipple shield and my milk in a bottle. I'd be interested in knowing any tips you may have. Thanks in advance!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers photo 11E5F5F6-4D0F-49E1-B9B6-320CF42213BE_zpspw0gd9zw.jpg photo 4dcf6524-f3e2-4099-82e2-545cd6740157_zpsb9a1d5a3.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Everyone has great advice but you should also post on the breastfeeding board.

Hello, I'm new here and haven't intro'd yet. I also have flat nipples and my milk just got in today and was wondering how the nipple shield worked for you . I used it in the hospital ( we were there for a few days due to LO having low blood sugar ( I had GD) and then his inability to get a good meal. I used it with formula and ended up having to give him formula with a bottle. I. Hoping he can use the nipple shield and my milk in a bottle. I'd be interested in knowing any tips you may have. Thanks in advance!

I used it every time and had great luck. LO would not feed without it. There are different sizes, the hospital fit me with one so I am not sure how to pick the right size. Also, I always expressed milk before latching LO so there was some milk waiting for her, this seemed to encourage her to suck. Hope that helps!! I agree with PP, post this on the breastfeeding boards as well, those women are wonderful and extremely helpful.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• MosyMama said:
    Keep putting her to the breast when she's hungry and stop giving her bottles. See a LC to get the latch issue resolved and to see how much she is actually getting. She may be stopping when she's full.
    I completely disagree with this. My dd had some breastfeeding issues in the beginning. I would try to latch her for 10 minutes and then finish with the bottle. It was a pain so I ended up not even trying to get her to latch. Randomly I tried to see if she would latch a month later and she did. She just needed to grow up to figure it out. However, my son also had latch issues and never latched on, no matter what I did. So make sure you're feeding your baby and try to work it out. If not, just snuggle baby close when you're bottle feeding.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"