Babies on the Brain

Question for mums on choosing a hospital

Hi all-

I'd love some advice/insights/experience stories from all of you who are already mums and have been through the OB/hospital selection process.  Just for back story, we live way out in suburbs but both work in downtown DC.  Had narrowed it down to two hospitals in the suburbs, one of which is more traditional and would involve working with an OB and a doula, the other which would involve the possibility of natural birth if things swing that way, working with a midwife, etc.  Just had to decide which approach to pick, weigh pros and cons.  (Also, I feel this ridiculous pressure to try for natural but not even sure why....that is a whole other discussion thread and something I feel some anxiety about).  Anyhow, I went to my first OB consult appointment yesterday (this is for the traditional hospital - was thinking of taking two consults and seeing how I felt after both) and the whole thing was really efficient but just took FOREVER by the time I made it back to work (downtown).  Now starting to wonder if we should be going with a hospital downtown - the drive from home, in labour, would be heinous...but all those appointments, particularly as they become weekly by the end, would be MUCH more efficient in terms of nipping away from work and then back to work with minimum time lost.  What do you all think?  I'd love your opinions.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Question for mums on choosing a hospital

• I wonder if you could have your appointments at an office down town and plan to deliver closer to home. At worst, you would have 2 obgyn's and you would just want to make sure all of your tests and scans are sent over to your delivery hospital when you are close to your due date. You can give DH this duty lol

I may be wrong about this because I live in north Alabama. There is not much traffic and my OBGYN delivers at all 3 of our hospitals so it makes no difference. We also do not have the option of birthing centers or home births. Ask your OBGYN about the frequency of c-sections they deliver and the frequency of natural births they attend. 

I am not pregnant but I hope to one day go natural. The only pressure is put on by myself and because many women in my family have delivered natural and it is a beautiful experience. However, I have decided that I will try for natural but I've never been in labor before so I have no idea what to really expect. If I end up needing a c-section or am just pining for an epidural, I will be fine. Prepare to go natural, but keep an open mind and don't feel like a failure if things don't work that way. A perfect birth experience ends in a healthy baby and mommy, so try not to stress too much about it. 
  • I chose the ob by my work because I knew I would have more appts at the end. Not knowing what my future held, it was better for my last two pregnancies because I was there twice a week for the majority of the pregnancies.
    All 3 of my deliveries were c/s and only my first wasn't planned since he came at 28w4d
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Loading the player...
  • As a FTM, you're likely to have a longer labor so I wouldn't worry so much about having to get downtown in a hurry (unless it's an emergent situation). My last two labors started in the evening (DD was induced) so that's another thing to consider. 
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom is a NICU RN and I have heard horror stories about babies coming from home births, birthing houses, and other midwife run places. Personally I want to be as close as possible to a good NICU just in case... that is how I chose my hospital. 

That said, if you do go with the midwife please make sure they are certified nurse practitioners with a masters degree and not just a lady with a 3 month midwife certificate. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"