March 2014 Moms
Options

Hot Topic Tuesday: Screen Time

13»

Re: Hot Topic Tuesday: Screen Time

• Options
    Yeah, we actually do do that.  It definitely helps, but she prefers the toys that move around the house (her baby stroller and her push cars).  She's really into coloring right now, so that's helped a little. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    @Farmboyswife I have not! I'll look it up, though! We also don't have cable. I don't see the point in it. We have the internet, Netflix, Hulu, a PS3, 5 (yes, 5!) computers, an iPad (DH claims he's getting me an Android tablet for Christmas, too-- I keep saying I don't need it, but he sees me on TB on my phone so much!) and 2 Android smartphones. All of which I have more control over than I would have over cable.

When we did have cable, we never watched it. We are purposeful screen-users. We don't have the TV on just for noise or anything. We sit down together, as a family (because cats count as a family) and choose something to watch. When we have LO, our choices will be rearranged for more kid-friendly stuff until after bedtime.

And... to reiterate... it won't be all couch-potato time, either. I have no idea what our screen use will be like with a LO to entertain and play with and teach and chase around. If we're busy doing something else, like playing outside or reading a book or making homemade slime to squish at the kitchen table, the TV won't be on. That's just how it works for us.

But I still don't believe that TV and video games, WITH PARENTAL PARTICIPATION, are inherently bad things. That's why I can't place a limit on what we'll allow. To me, carefully chosen shows and video games with the entire family participating can be valuable teaching and bonding tools.

I mean, I grew up watching my dad play Super Mario Bros and Castlevania. It was family time every night before bed. My siblings and I sat down to watch dad play, and we helped him solve puzzles and figure out how to get past the level. It was a great experience. I can't put a limit on that kind of thing.

GREEN to PINK on 3.14.14 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"