July 2013 Moms
Options

NBR - Turkey

Ok ladies I need opinions. My grandma is an amazing cook and her only advise for me for hosting thanksgiving was DO NOT get a butterball turkey. She said to get honeysuckle white. Most everyone else I've talked to say to get Butterball. I know it really probably doesn't make a difference but now I'm curious, which brand of turkey do you prefer?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: NBR - Turkey

• Options
    Maybe I'm wrong but to me a turkey is a turkey unless it's organic or wild. If you're just getting a regular turkey from the store they should all be pretty similar? I have no clue sorry :)
  • Options
    @maryannespier we have turkey's, those things are scary! My fiancé also hunts them (you can't bake them like a regular turkey, too tough) they're ugly vile birds and he has to keep all his mounts of any animal but specifically the turkeys outside in his man room. Gross. The turkeys we have will chase a car, they're really dumb birds.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a visual of this and I'm cracking up at work. I'm sure it was scary though.

@asbromle - I had a giant turkey chase me once. I was walking to my car to go to work and all of a sudden he appeared out of the woods and charged me. I ran back into my apartment and he stood pecking my screen door like a maniac until my landlord heard the commotion and came down and hit the turkey with a broom until he ran back into the woods. Then my LL suggested that I start carrying a broom back and forth to the car, which I did for months.

• Options
    That's what I figured but when asking others everyone was very passionate about their turkey haha. I'm thinking butterball from Costco. I did look at their organic turkey and it was like $2.79 a pound and I need a 20 pound turkey yeah not happening.
    Asbromle said:

Maybe I'm wrong but to me a turkey is a turkey unless it's organic or wild. If you're just getting a regular turkey from the store they should all be pretty similar? I have no clue sorry :)

• Options
    @maryannespier that's hysterical! We have a rooster that HATES me, he will chase me and then try to get into my car. I hate him and have for the past 7 years, why won't he just die already?? I usually carry a stick to ward him off, but he doesn't usually care. Since I've had the baby my SO usually keeps him pinned up (it's a huge out door cage, like enormous, so totally humane) and that's helped but sometimes his old ass escapes. I understand your fear.
  • Options
    @robynloureed how do they know who is who? I swear they just do, they know. Creepy little effers!
  • Options
    My sister used to live on a hobby farm.  They had this big male turkey (I'm talking huuuuuge, like probably 50lbs). They kept him penned in his own enclosure (the ladies were free range), and they called him Bad Turkey.  If you went too close to his gate, he would stick all his feathers out and YELL turkey noises. He would have been a scary thing if he had gotten out.

My sister's daughter was 2yo at the time, and was terrified of Bad Turkey. And yet the mini goats that would head butt her in the back and send her flying were no big deal. :)

At the end of the day, RE the original post, a turkey is a turkey to me. We try to buy from the local farms to ensure we're getting ethically treated animals. :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monster Truck (It's a GIRL!) is due 19/02/2015!

BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    To me its all in how you cook it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    The only time I have made a turkey I deep fryed it. Yummmm

My cousins had chickens and the stupid one eyed rooster would chase us all over the yard. We would carry a rake with us for protection!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"