July 2013 Moms
Options

for the moms of car screamers:

Have you limited ur car trips with LO and become a hermit, like me? Or are you just driving with the screaming babe? Just wondering ... we are getting a little stir crazy here!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: for the moms of car screamers:

• Options
    I drive with the little screamer. He's gotten so much better though. He doesn't usually scream if I'm in the back with him but if we're alone and he's tired, he screams. Otherwise, he's been pretty happy the last 2 weeks, he just chews on his hands and talks to himself. But... by the end of the trip he's usually all ranty again. Gah!
  • Options
    I walk and use public transportation a lot. I try to limit car rides to under 20 minutes. But I refuse to be a hermit :) I totally feel your pain.
    K & M married 10.8.2011 *** BFP 7.17.2012, EDD 3.21.2013, Miscarriage at 6 wks 3 days *** BFP #2 11.7.2012, beautiful Tess born 7.11.2013
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DS screamed until we switched carseats. Now he is very happy. I didn't go anywhere before bc it would end up with DS screaming and then DD screaming at me that the baby is screaming. Now trips are good, guess he hated the infant seat.

TTC since 6/2003. m/c 9/14/03 8 weeks, 5 chemical pregnancies, mmc 6/04 12 weeks, Michael born sleeping 5/25/05 at 22weeks always our angel, fought ovarian cancer and won, m/c 4/06 5.2 weeks and 7/07 6.6 weeks,Our Miracle baby girl born 4/8/10,mc 12/18/11 at 5.3 weeks, BFP 10/26/12 dating u/s on 11/8/12 showing a strong heartbeat!EDD July 4,2013. RCS on 6/27. Baby boy in NICU for 8 long and scary days before he was able to come home. We are now a happy family of 4

. imageimage

• Options
    Asbromle said:

I drive with the little screamer. He's gotten so much better though. He doesn't usually scream if I'm in the back with him but if we're alone and he's tired, he screams. Otherwise, he's been pretty happy the last 2 weeks, he just chews on his hands and talks to himself. But... by the end of the trip he's usually all ranty again. Gah!

This is exactly us. I think she screams because she doesn't want to fall asleep alone back there.

Have you checked the height of the shoulder straps? I had to raise them and that helped.
  • Options
    @stina2012 yep, I raised them. What's strange is when I go to put him in the car seat it's immediate melt down mode, like he just knows he hates it. I try to talk to him softly or try to make him smile while putting him in there but he still just has such a dislike for the plastic bucket! Most kids love going for a ride, not him. Also, people who take their LO's in the car to get them to fall asleep always amaze me because that's the last place I ever think of.
  • Options
    I had a car screamer until I turned on baby Einstein Mozart cd in my car, instant silence and sleeping baby
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    flkongflkong member
    edited November 2013
    Stina2012 said:
    This is exactly us. I think she screams because she doesn't want to fall asleep alone back there. Have you checked the height of the shoulder straps? I had to raise them and that helped.
    I raised them and loosened them a bit and it's better. The toy that goes across the handle of the car seat lights up and sings...and she plays with the pieces now...win!

• Options
    My baby never had a problem until she was just about 3.5 months. She started crying/screaming in the car but now she starts once I put her in the plastic bucket like @asbromle said. She gives me a look that says "please no, don't put me in here!" Breaks my heart right in half. I have definitely avoided going anywhere but she has her 4 month appt on Thursday. We are meeting DH there so I will be taking her alone. Sigh.. Do they grow out of this? Why the sudden change?
  • Options
    DD used to scream every.single.time.  We got a mirror for the back of the seat so she can look at herself and we can see her.  (It's securely attached to the seat and pretty soft, just in case of an accident).  I've started tucking a blanket around her face, up under her chin and around the sides of her face and bundling it up around her feet.  I only do that since I have the mirror; I wouldn't do it if I couldn't see her.  I give her the pacifier and she looks around and will eventually fall asleep if its a longer trip.  The blanket helps the pacifier stay in better. If she sneezes and it falls out she can move her head to get it back in.  I can take a picture and put it on if anyone wants to see how I tuck her in.  She actually slept in her seat last night while we went out to dinner.  
    After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
    Born 7/30/13
  • Options
    I'm a SAHM and a FTM so we just limit how often we do car trips. Usually any trip under 15 minutes is okay. He enjoys the novelty of the car ride, the toys on his car seat, for just that long.

If we have to do a longer car ride, I plan stops so I can take him out and soothe him.

I can't wait for this to change.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Also a July 2013 Mom!
  • Options
    Asbromle said:
     Also, people who take their LO's in the car to get them to fall asleep always amaze me because that's the last place I ever think of.
    me too!

BabyFruit Ticker

Also a July 2013 Mom!
  • Options
    We've definitely limited our driving. Me other 2 kids hates when he screams so it makes for a very loud car trip! Lol

If he is tired, he freaks because he still needs to be nursed to sleep. I hope it gets better soon.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I've become a bit of a hermit too. We live in a rural area outside of the city so it takes about 20-30 minutes to get somewhere. I get completely frazzled after about 10 minutes of screaming so by the time we're back home both of us are a mess. I did buy one of those mirrors out of desperation (which I know some people frown on) and it has helped a little bit.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I live in the city, so we just avoid driving as much as possible. She has gotten a little better as time has passed, though. Also! I don't know if it's just that she's getting better anyway, but we got one of those backseat mirrors, and she seems to like looking at herself in it, so that's also helping.

I did have to stop at 3 consecutive rest stops in MD, Delaware, and NJ on Sunday PM, though, because I thought she was going to have an aneurysm. Sigh.
  • Options
    gulickr said:
    I live in the city, so we just avoid driving as much as possible. She has gotten a little better as time has passed, though. Also! I don't know if it's just that she's getting better anyway, but we got one of those backseat mirrors, and she seems to like looking at herself in it, so that's also helping.

I did have to stop at 3 consecutive rest stops in MD, Delaware, and NJ on Sunday PM, though, because I thought she was going to have an aneurysm. Sigh.

I loved that because I've had to stop 3 times on a 40 minute trip :(

@married071709 I'd like to see :)
  • Options

Asbromle said:
    gulickr said:

I loved that because I've had to stop 3 times on a 40 minute trip :(

@married071709 I'd like to see :)
    Solidarity, man.
  • Options
    @Asbromle Here are the pics.  I blacked out her face cause we don't do pics on the internet but it should give you a general idea of how I snuggle her in.

imageimage
    After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
    Born 7/30/13
  • Options
    We definitely don't get out and about for fun stuff as much as we used to. Although I'm a SAHM, I have a lot of commitments during the week, and because DD2 won't take a bottle she always has to ride with me. At the height of her car-screaming it was MISERY. I had to drive for 30-40 min M,T,Th,S and 20-30 min W & Sa. Thankfully she only screams half the time she's in the car now, and it really helps if I feed her right before we leave. Also, the mirror that attaches to the car seat. She just babbles and smiles, a huge relief for mama!
    Two under two, here we come!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage image
  • Options
    My dd1 did this. She just hated the infant car seat. We switched her to a convertible at 4 mos, and it was like we had a new baby. The store where we bought it installed it and our drive home was the first one where she didn't scream. It was amazing.
  • Options
    My oldest used to scream all the time until I got him a frog toy bar. It drastically reduced how much he screamed. Here is a similar product.

https://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Take-Along-Carrier/dp/B005BW1RL8
  • Options
    I was desperate... I put a DVD player facing my DS and play the same Baby Mozart DVD every time we get in. He starts screaming again as soon as the credits roll (29 minutes) and I end up pulling over and playing it again. With 2 older kids, being a hermit isn't possible but I do limit where I go. 

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• Options
    We had let her scream, but we put in the mirror and...LO loves a piece of art we have in our living room. (A canvas print of the St Augustine lighthouse that I took years ago). So I had an 8 x 10 reprint made and we taped it to the backseat. So now she can look at herself or her picture. Then of course our issue became night time driving, so we put in a little LED light. She is pimped out back there - but life has been so much better.

Here is the photo:
    babysizer.com pregnancy ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"