September 2013 Moms
Options

Help! Baby with goopy eye

This morning I noticed my little girl's right eye was more watery than the left. I didn't think too much of it, then a couple hours later while I was feeding her, I saw some white discharge collecting in the corner of her eye. Eventually her tears worked the discharge out and I wiped it away with a warm washcloth. But the discharge and the wateriness continued to increase. Now her eye is constantly watery and has this whitish yellowish discharge that keeps collecting on her little eyelashes. After she took a nap this afternoon, I noticed the discharge had crusted on her eyelids but she was able to open her eye easily. The eye itself isn't red and neither is the eyelid. She's not rubbing it or seem bothered by it when I clean it. She's eating and sleeping normally. She's 6 1/2 weeks old. I was wondering if anyone else's LO has had something similar and if so, what did you end up doing for it? Thanks in advance!

Re: Help! Baby with goopy eye

• Options
    Mine had a clogged tear duct that sounds kind of similar to what you describe. We massaged the duct with a warm wet washcloth and it cleared up after a day or so. You could try calling the nurse's line as well and see what they think.
  • Options
    Probably a clogged duct. Our pediatrician said to keep it clean using a warm washcloth an you can carefully massage the area between their nose and eye to help the gook get out. It's common. If her eye itself becomes red you should call your dr.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took DD to the doctor for this and she said clogged tear duct. She recommended wiping it out with a warm washcloth and also massaging the tear duct.
  • Options
    @sgautschi, @Skalbrecht, @KatyKatMeowz, thanks :-)... I hope it's just a blocked tear duct. I'll keep using the warm wash cloths and hope it clears up by morning.
  • Options
    Don't be surprised if it doesn't clear right up. DS has clogged ducts on both sides. He's had them since he was born. Our pedi said it could take a while to clear up and if it's not gone at a year they may have to probe the duct open. My friends DD just had hers done.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Blocked tear duct -- no big deal and it will clear itself up... Massage the tear duct and put warm compresses on it.
  • Options
    This happened to DS2. I squirted Breastmilk in his eye every feed for 1 day, and it went away. He didn't mind it at all.

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • Options
    LO had a clogged duct for probably 6wks after she was born. Pedi said it's very common and will go away on it's own, but that a warm washcloth and gentle massage wouldn't hurt to try.

• Options
    It might take a day or two to completely clear up. Good luck! Have been told it's pretty common up to 6 months.
  • Options
    My LO had it on both eyes since birth. The left eye cleared up but the right eye is still acting up. Pedi said that she would give it a year to clear up or we could have surgery to fix it. I also apply BM and massage the eye with a warm wash cloth.

• Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will continue the warm wash cloth, massage and I'm going to try the breast milk too. :-)
  • Options
    Yep, clogged tear duct. Our pedi said to call if the eye gets red,  but other than that, what PPs have said is right on
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"