Blended Families
Options

NBFR: Portuguese for 3 year old?

So this isn't blended family related but I post on here the most and I was hoping someone might be able to give some suggestions on this.  So small backstory SO's parents moved here from Portugal and then had SO and his sister.  They did not want them to learn Portuguese because "you're American and Americans speak English", so neither of them ever learned much Portuguese.  The parents divorced and mom married another Portuguese immigrant, as did Dad but his wife spoke no English and still does not.  It led to some miserable times for SO but they also divorced.  SO has a half sister from that relationship who has a lot of issues with English as a result of this and other factors.  Both SO and his sister are unhappy that they never learned Portuguese.  We talked about it and thought it would be great if we tried teaching LO some while she is still young and able to pick it up easier but I am not sure the best way to go about it.  I only have experience with native speakers teaching there children and that is not an option here.  Sorry for the long back story but anyone have any advice?  Or think it isn't worth doing?

Short version since that is still long, SO's is Portuguese but parents did not want him learning the language, now thinking of trying to teach LO while she is still young but unsure of the best way to go about it or if it is even a good idea.  

Thanks for reading everyone hope it wasn't too ridiculous sounding haha

Re: NBFR: Portuguese for 3 year old?

• Options
    I don't know if there are any classes for Portuguese but if not I would look into tapes.  Honestly I think it is a very idea if you guys try to teach it if you don't know it well because you will likely be speaking barely recognizable Portuguese and your child will not be able to learn it correctly.  But I think it is a great idea if you can get a class, tutor or even tapes or videos.  My DH speaks fluent Cantonese but we don't have any family in the US from his side so it is only him, he grew up mostly in England so English is his first language.  We enrolled them in classes this year at 6y9m and 4y9m.  They LOVE it and I think it is great for them.  But like I said, I would only do it if they can learn from someone that knows the language or from tapes so they can hear it correctly. 
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    The younger kids are the easier it is for them to pick up so yeah I definitely think it's worth it
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The earlier children are exposed to language, the quicker they pick it up.

Look at the Little Pim language programs. They're specifically for children, and they have a Portuguese program (I checked their website before posting).
    image">

image"">
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • Options
    Ok, time for some science.  The brain builds its neuropathways from the age of birth through about 4 years of age. 

Once the neuropathway is built, it stays.  So the neuropathway for learning more than one language will always be there.  You may forget the language when you get older, but reopening that pathway to learning/knowing/using more than one language will be so much easier to reopen. 

So even if you use (and by use, I mean more than 4-5 words) Sigh Language as your second language you are on your way. 

I would suggest looking at Roestta Stone for Children and maybe even hiring a tutor.  
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options
    The older they get the harder but its not impossible.
    My niece(4yo) is born in Brazil and speaks portuguese fluently and she goes to school here in the US and learnt english so quick its impressive, my nephew(3,5yo) is born here and he knows english but speaks only portuguese at home due to the fact his parents would only speak to him in portuguese. The rules are at home speak in portuguese and in school or to anyone that dont speak portuguese they can speak english.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"