Austin Babies
Options

my teensy mini vent.

i just got the bill from when i was in the hospital for my first IV. now, i will say that i am SO thankful for the insurance we have thru dh's work. i realize how absolutely fortunate that we don't have to think twice when we need a dr. or ER. 

now for the minivent. they needed to stick me multiple times and i was charged for each attempt (they needed sterile supplies w/ each attempt). it's a difference of several hundred dollars. again, i only have to pay a percentage of that, for which i am very very grateful. i just wish the third nurse (the successful one) had been the first to see me!

Re: my teensy mini vent.

• Options
    That is ridiculous. I'd send a bill to the first two nurses for their inability to do their job correctly.
    Dear Bump: You suck.
  • Options
    That's absurd. It's not your fault they couldn't find a vein. I would definitely call and say something...that was completely out of your control!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would call and see if they can take that off. You shouldn't be charged b/c they didn't have someone to get you iv the first time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagerssnlvr:
    That is ridiculous. I'd send a bill to the first two nurses for their inability to do their job correctly.

As a nurse, I take GREAT offense to that. First, no one is perfect. Also MC was very dehydrated and even if she wasn't, sometimes you just don't get the vein on the first try. You pay for services received and supplies used, that's it.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageTaytee:

imagerssnlvr:

As a nurse, I take GREAT offense to that. First, no one is perfect. Also MC was very dehydrated and even if she wasn't, sometimes you just don't get the vein on the first try. You pay for services received and supplies used, that's it.

Taytee, you know I didn't mean to offend you. But if I take my car to the shop, and they try but are unable to fix it, I certainly wouldn't expect to pay, despite the time they spent on it. Or if I take my shirt to the cleaners for them to get out a stain, and they can't, I wouldn't pay for the cleaning solution they used to attempt to get it out. Or my phone to the service center to get fixed. I understand there were supplies used, but it seems that other industries focus more on the success of the service you are paying for. And I stand by my statement that it's ridiculous that she got billed for something other people unsuccessfully attempted to do for her. 

• Options
    Wow, that is crazy. I agree rssnlvr.
  • Options

Lemme say this- I totally get that they need to use sterile equip. for each attempt (even though I'd be perfectly fine if they went from one site to the next w/ the same needle) but, the way it was handled was not ideal.

When I went to the ER (a couple days later) each nurse made two attempts and then called a different nurse. I liked that system. Give it a shot (or two) and if you can't find a vein...move on. 

When I was in the IV room, the same nurse tried over and over and over again (read 8). She called someone else to come. The second nurse (if memory serves) tried three (maybe four) times and then called the third and final nurse who got it in two sticks. 

I am the first to say that I was dehydrated and my veins were worthless. I wasn't an easy stick at all. But, I really appreciated the nurses who tried and then knew that they weren't going to have any luck w/ my shrunken veins. Oh, and I really REALLY liked the nurses who didn't try to wiggle the needle once they were in my arm. 

• Options

You wouldn't want a hospital to be run like a car shop or dry cleaners. If it was, I could definitely utilize the "Right to refuse service" to a few patients I can think of from time to time. But it's not. Even if you're a drug addict with the worst veins in the world, I will still try my best to get "a line" on you. You can be a scum of the earth and we still bring you back from an attempted overdose. Everyone down to the sweetest feverish 5 day old with nervous first time parents. Sometimes it takes 2 times to get a "Spinal Tap" on a baby, believe me it is NO cakewalk explaining that to a mother. It's still a 2nd needle set.

Healthcare is also one of the many places that is struggling to remain profitable in this economy. Hospital bills are low on the priority of things to pay for families. If hospitals don't charge the person we used the materials guess who the company charges? EVERYONE ELSE. Then you pay $20 for a Tylenol. Do you want to pay extra on your dry cleaning bill because they didn't get the ketchup stain out of MC's shirt? In a round about way, you probably already do but that doesn't make it right.

We moan and gripe about paying more than $10 for prescription medication, but we'll gladly pay to have our hair highlighted, carry a cell phone, mani/pedi or go out to eat. But ask someone to pay for having their quality of life improved through medicine or their life saved, that's just a rip off right? We're nurses because we care. Everyone is acting like the nurses are somehow getting rich off this!

Should we just stand back and say "I'm sorry, I really don't think we can get an IV on you today. Go home and try to drink something"? Just like I don't know the insurance status of a patient in my care for them, I also do not nurse in an unsafe manner to save money. Conservation is important, yes, for both financial reason and environmental ones too. My only suggestion is to kindly ask the nurse not to get an entire new set if it's not necessary. Many times all they need is a new needle (Intra-Cath) and a new Chloraprep. If they haven't used the tegaderm (plastic cover over the IV) then they shouldn't need a whole new set and even that piece is available separately too. So if you want to negotiate on the bill, you can see if you got charged for more than one kit because that would not have been needed.  Our charges are usually

1 (to 6) Intra Caths

1 IV start Kit

1 Luer Lock (the plastic piggy tail or cap over the IV)

and maybe an extra charge for another Tegaderm, the chlorapreps are not individually charged in our ER.

I hope everyone enjoys their New Years Eve. Personally, I'll be working from 7p-7a.

• Options

Woah there turbo. Let's just let the record show I have never gotten my hair highlighted. I'm just sayin'.

(and also trying to nicely redirect so as to help you off your soapbox and remove the bunch from your panties)

• Options

I guess I feel both sides deserve representation. Nothing personal really to you rssnlvr, we agree on most issues. And I do understand your side of the arguement, I just disagree wholeheartedly.

I like it up here on my soapbox!

Writing that much did almost make me late for work thoughEmbarrassed

• Options

Hmm as a nurse here are my thoughts (probably don't care but here they are...

:::Pushing to the back of my mind my thoughts on the US Healthcare system:::

There are best practice guidelines put in place. The best practice guidelines with an IV start is 2 attempts and if you are unsuccessful you find a different nurse. No nurse should be attempting to IV start 8 times in a row. At most the patient should be financially responsible for 2 IV start kits and or supplies per nurse. IMO I think she should be responsible for at most 6 kits/supplies. Anything else, the hospital needs to eat. Best practice guidelines should be followed.

• Options
    imagecanadagirlinTX:

Hmm as a nurse here are my thoughts (probably don't care but here they are...

silly canada...we always care what you have to say! are you back in town? will i see you this weekend? shoot me an email. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"