Breastfeeding
Options

BF and BLW

My 8 month old is BLW and is loving it.  In the last week it all seemed to click and she suddenly LOVES food and wants more, more, more.  She quite good with BLW from the start (6months) and was happy chopping away.  We used to only feed once a day (if that) but now she is keen for 3times a day (though I usually only get organized enough for 2 feeds).

I am just wondering how I know if she is eating too much solids.  She nurses every 2hrs day and night.  She will eat supper with us, swallowing a fair bit of solids and still be more than thrilled to nurse 10min after (same if I nurse minutes before feeding solids).  So, do I just assume she's still getting enough BM?  I do try to nurse within an hour before feeding but when she nurses every 2hrs it is hard to time that right.

My milk has always been really fast so feed only last 4-6min (been this way since about 10weeks)...she is still gulping down milk when she nurses and is more than content when she finishes.

I just don't know how to judge milk intake versus food intake.

Re: BF and BLW

• Options
    It sounds like you are doing things right :)  BLW is so great for BF babies because it continues the principle of on demand feeding - and trusting baby to know how to regulate her intake best.  Sounds like she is getting just what she needs!
  • Options

ncbelle:

Does that mean that if I keep nursing on demand then there isn't any concern of too much solids and too little milk?  Say, if she decided to drop a middle of the night feed (as if!) does she just know what she needs and I just go with it?

I have heard so much that solids shouldn't decrease milk intake.  But wasn't sure if that was more for FF and spoon feeding since babies have little control in amounts. 

I've been a bit hesitant to keep giving more solids when she's in the chair asking for it because I am not sure what's too much.  Do I just follow her requests?  Man, that would be so much easier!! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    From what I've read, yes you are correct.  Gradually the BM intake will go down as solid intake goes up, and by following BLW it allows baby to dictate that as PP says.  We are doing BLW as well, and so far she is still nursing the same as always, but I expect that will slowly change over the next few months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker         
  • Options
    We did BLW too, and we never denied more solids. Some days she wants a lot, some days she barely eats 5 Cheerios. I just do what she wants! If your LO is still nursing every 2 hours, don't worry about her milk intake. Let her take the lead on solids :)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    I didn't start out BLW but have ended up doing it too by just following DD's lead.  After I started to try to introduce more textured purees she wanted none of it and started to dip into my plate.  As I saw she was comfortable with tackling my food, I became more confident in her as an eater. She eats great - somedays she prefers to nurse more, other days she just wants to eat more. I just follow her lead, and I don't push her to eat more when she has indicated that she is done. It makes life easier for the both of us!

• Options
    We've only ever done BLW and only given BM. He has really picked up his solid intake and some meals he eats as much as I do. I just trust since he nurses as often as he wants and needs, and eats solids as he wants and needs, he'll be alright. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"