September 2012 Moms

BFing Check In

Who's still with me? :) how is it going?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BFing Check In

• @Anoe1113 that sounds awesome! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Things here are going fine. Last week was my first period since being back to work and my pumping output sucked (like half of what I normally get). Freezer stash took a big hit. Calcium and More Milk Plus didn't seem to really help either.

Now the milk is back, I think. We will see how pumping goes today.

I was home with him yesterday and got to see the difference in his nursing pattern from 5 weeks ago before I started work. He is going longer stretches which is great....but he I hungry at night. Blah.

• I am down to one session when we get home from work/daycare, before bed, and throughout the night. It feels right for right now. I'm getting a lot of pressure to wean completely but he WILL NOT drink any form of cows milk so I feel like he still needs it. We'll see how long it goes! 

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• still going. My supply took a hit a few weeks ago when I got my first period and got sick at the same time. I've started taking some fenugreek and am trying to compile the ingredients for lactation cookies. The fenugreek has made us both really gassy so I'm trying to figure something else out. My pump is on its last leg (it was a friends who used it for her 2 children) so power pumping and increasing my pumping sessions really isnt doing much.
    he nurses 6 am 9am noon 4pm and gets a sippy of pumped milk before bed.

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
  • Keep it up ladies. So proud of you and inspired.

• I think we are done. We were just doing mornings, and I decided it was time to start weaning off of that. DD nursed Wednesday and then Saturday for a few minutes, just bc I was uncomfortable. So, I'm kind of playing it by ear. Since I don't use the pump anymore, I will nurse her every few days until my body adjusts to us being done. We're down to our last 4 bags of freezer milk, but she does fine with WCM too. I went back and forth on what to do, but I feel like since she's OK with weaning now, I want to just follow through with it so I don't have a big fight on my hands if I wait a few more months. I'm so proud we made it past a year (and almost to 14 months!) It's bittersweet though. Congrats to all you ladies still going strong!

• Still doing a bedtime nurse session and occasionally motn. She will sometime be content with snuggling to go back to sleep other times she wants to nurse.

Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • We're still going!  She still nurses 6-8 times per day (this includes MOTN feedings) and I pump once at work for her bottles while I'm gone.  I don't see us stopping anytime soon.  I continue to hope that she'll wean herself from the night time feedings, but no luck yet. :)
  • auroraloo said:

We're struggling. Once again I'm hit with supply issues. We're supplementing pumped milk/formula after every feeding. I did a weighed feeding and she got less than an ounce. :(

She's been refusing to nurse on and off as well. Even in the MOTN. I'm lucky if I can get 5-6 minutes on one side. So I'm pumping like a fool and getting less than an ounce total.

I've done fenugreek, more milk plus, go-lacta, goat's rue, tea, flaxseed in my morning oatmeal, Guinness, brewer's yeast in my oatmeal, pumping every two hours, power pumping, renting a hospital pump, nursing vacation, and I have domperidone on the way.

I think we're done if the domperidone doesn't help. :( I'm crushed, I very very much wanted this to work, and we lasted even less time before supplementing than I did with C.

If there's anything else I haven't thought of, I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully my domperidone will be here very very soon.

I'm sorry - that must be so frustrating. I hope you find a solution.
  • Still nursing morning and evening. DD has been teething, so she also wants to nurse 5000 times on the weekends. She's also taken to shoving her hands down my shirt and trying to expose me in public. Fun times!
  • auroraloo said:

We're struggling. Once again I'm hit with supply issues. We're supplementing pumped milk/formula after every feeding. I did a weighed feeding and she got less than an ounce. :(

She's been refusing to nurse on and off as well. Even in the MOTN. I'm lucky if I can get 5-6 minutes on one side. So I'm pumping like a fool and getting less than an ounce total.

I've done fenugreek, more milk plus, go-lacta, goat's rue, tea, flaxseed in my morning oatmeal, Guinness, brewer's yeast in my oatmeal, pumping every two hours, power pumping, renting a hospital pump, nursing vacation, and I have domperidone on the way.

I think we're done if the domperidone doesn't help. :( I'm crushed, I very very much wanted this to work, and we lasted even less time before supplementing than I did with C.

If there's anything else I haven't thought of, I'm open to suggestions. Hopefully my domperidone will be here very very soon.

Im so sorry, Rora. You're doing a great job trying everything you can. It must be so frustrating. :(
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• We're still doing one MOTN/early morning session. Still anticipating that we'll keep doing it til he's sleeping through the night consistently, which gosh I hope is soon.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I feel like I type the same thing every week! No changes here. She nurses early morning, nap and bed time. It's working out great. We have a few plane trips coming up and I am so glad I'm still nursing for them. It is such a comfort to her and it'll be nice to have that for her. I am very happy with where we are right now.

@auroraloo I'm sorry you are having trouble. Know that you are doing the best that you can. I don't have any other suggestions. I hope things work out for you!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @auroraloo
    I was just about to PM you to see how your weekend went. so dissapointing I'm sorry things aren't going well!! :(:( Hopefully the Dom turns things around!

• We are still here and doing well.  He's still nursing first thing in the morning, before naps, and before bed.  Some sessions before his naps are super super short.  I plan on keeping this pattern up for the rest of this year and reevaluating from there. 
    @auroraloo, so sorry you're struggling, no fun at all!  Let us know if there is anything we can do, we're here for you!
    Baby #1 Sept 2012. Baby #2 due Feb 2015.
  • Still here! Still at 3xs a day.

My supply is barely-there. DD will not drink WCM & it's really starting to piss me off, lol. She will steal DS's sippy in a heartbeat, but will throw her own cup to the floor.

• auroraloo said:
    @mrssqueegy yes I'm seeing an LC.

pacing bottles is super difficult since I'm pumping, wrangling C and feeding at various times. I'm always trying to nurse first, then pump and I do the same overnight. Sometimes I nurse and pump twice each overnight.

Also, it seems to really vary day to day how much I pump. Like yesterday I got an ounce, twice but today I've barely covered the bottom of the bottle on one side and gotten nada on the other.

I've tried every flange size as well. It doesn't seem to matter as long as I don't use the smallest. But it's hard to tell since it varies so much.

Thanks for the support, ladies.
    So sorry you're struggling. This might be super-obvious, but you didn't mention it, so I figured I'd throw it out there: Are you drinking lots of water?

• @auroraloo, sorry you're struggling with this. I was in this position with DS. Have you tried pumping first thing in the AM? That was when I always got a good amount of milk, even if I was hardly pumping anything later in the day. Also, is she acting hungry after you nurse her? If not, maybe she just doesn't eat as much as some babies. DD didn't eat a ton in the early months.

• We're down to once, in the morning, and occasionally MOTN.  I'm not sure how much longer we'll be doing the morning session--it's mostly just cuddle time as my supply is practically nonexistent at this point.  I was away from her for a weekend at the end of Oct., and even though I pumped, it trashed my supply.  But I think we're both ok with that.  It really is pretty much for cuddles at this point, because she drinks her sippy like a champ and loves to eat.  
  • I am still with you guys. I am nursing too often, and need to start dropping sessions. I nurse in the morning, before bed, in the middle of the night if she gets up, before naps, and occasionally at other times. She drinks WCM too, but is mostly reliant on BM.

• AlinnJo said:

I feel like I type the same thing every week! No changes here. She nurses early morning, nap and bed time. It's working out great. We have a few plane trips coming up and I am so glad I'm still nursing for them. It is such a comfort to her and it'll be nice to have that for her. I am very happy with where we are right now.

@auroraloo I'm sorry you are having trouble. Know that you are doing the best that you can. I don't have any other suggestions. I hope things work out for you!

Me too. 

Not much new. Still nursing before bed only. S has 2 teeth now and *knock wood* she hasn't bit me yet. I will be away for work on Thursday so she won't get bf before bed... we'll see how that goes. DH says "maybe if it works well we can just wean her completely" but I'm not sure that is what I want to do. 
  • wooo!! Hopefully it helps @auroraloo

• @auroraloo I'm so late to this. Silly work gets in the way of my bumping. 

I'm sorry you are struggling. It sounds like you have tried a lot of excellent things though. And regardless of how it goes, when you someday tell M the effort you put in to nurse her she will be learning of your awesome perseverance and dedication. 

I hope the dom works for you!

In the experience of people around here, pedis aren't great with the lip tie/tongue tie. Lip tie is obviously easier to see, but some pedis and LCs brush it off as not making a difference. For a posterior tongue tie, it can be really hard to see but a pedi or LC should be able to really get in there and check. Can't hurt to have it checked. Or if you happen to be at an ENT, I'd totally ask them to check it too. 

I can't remember if you have PCOS...? I know that my friends who have tried the laundry list like you- many of them have PCOS and insufficient glandular tissue. I know you said you've already tried the goat's rue though. 

Can't remember if you tried moringa/malunggay?

• auroraloo said:

auroraloo said:

auroraloo said:

Update, my dom came today!

Awesome!  What dose are you going to start with?  I started at 30 mg three times a day, then at one point went up to 30 mg four times a day, then I cut back down to three times a day which I am still on today.

My LC said to start with 20mg 3x a day. I will call her on Friday and tell her how it's going and we'll adapt.

The upside of a nursing-strike-induced EP requirement is it will be easy to track.

Another thought, has M been checked for a tongue or lip tie?  That was our issue and things improved once we got it revised.  My supply was good until about 6 weeks, then it plummeted because DS couldn't actually transfer milk and stimulate my production.

The LC said she didn't think so, should I have her pedi check it at her 2 month?

Yes, but honestly our pedi had no idea and told me that he didn't have either.  I would try to find an LC with tongue tie experience.

* butting in*
    Our pedi specifically told us that Colby didn't have a tongue tie. The LC diagnosed his tongue tie and upper labial tie which we then followed up with an ENT. His tongue tie naturally ripped before the apt but his upper lip needed to be cut. He will most likely have a gap in his front teeth permanently because of the extent of the labial tie. So definitely get a few opinions

• Still here. Nursing avg. 4x/day. I fear that if I stop, I will never be able to get her to sleep ;) But it's all good!
  • As far as I know, goat's rue is the only thing I've heard for tissue. I know some moms will just use the SNS in an attempt to keep baby at the breast to boost supply but those are a pain. 

• @mrssqueegy Ugh. I wish I could answer your night weaning question... but, well, we're still here and up a couple times, and nursing and tired...

• Proud of you ladies! @auroraloo, fx that the dom helps boost your supply- you are doing great!

@mrssqueegy Just a thought on the night weaning, DH had to do night comforting until she stopped rooting for me.

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
  • I had to have DH do CIO. I couldn't bear it. Sorry! Not easy

"I will show you the kind of big sister I will be..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"