VBAC
Options

How import is doula's experience?

The practice I'm going with for my VBAC requires a doula but some of those who are known for their VBAC doula work are seriously more expensive than others who are a bit fresher to the field. How much do you think this matters? How important do you all find it is for the doula to have vbac-specific experience? On the one hand, I want the best support possible to increase my odds, improve the overall experience, etc. On the other hand, I still feel really jaded by my previous birth experience - my midwife & my birth assistant really didn't help in any meaningful way and just ended up being extra eyes & commenters from the audience. I'm having a hard time imagining how a doula would concretely help me - so I'm conflicted about whether there is any value to be gained from hiring a more experienced doula or just the cheapest one possible for me to check the box with my provider's requirements. 

Any experiences you can share are appreciated!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: How import is doula's experience?

• Options
    I have never used one. But I have asked this question before and majority of women recommend hiring a one. The ones who did hire one are never unsatisfied. 

• Options
    I don't think a doula needs to have specific VBAC experience to be helpful.  The doula I hired for my VBAC did have a lot of VBAC experience, but honestly I don't think she had to do anything during my labor that was specific to VBAC vs any other vaginal birth.  She spent a lot of time during my pregnancy reassuring me that a vaginal birth was possible for me, but I think that's more about a doula having emotional intelligence and knowing about vaginal birth in general than about VBAC experience.

For this baby, we are on a tighter budget.  I would still like to have a doula but may have to find someone less experienced or even a doula in training to save money.  I'm hopeful they will still be able to help me even if they haven't been to a bunch of VBACs before.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"