Baby Showers

best time for a shower??

I had my shower with my first lo very early because all my family lived in a different state and I had to fly. This time around I wont have to worry about all of that so when would y'all suggest having a shower?

Re: best time for a shower??

• Myself. But my mil is planning it and wants to know when I want to do it.
  • Are you talking best time of day, or best time in your pregnancy? Your OP doesn't make that really clear, but I'm assuming time of pregnancy. I think most people have them sometime around 30ish weeks (I've been to one as early as 26 and as late as 36). Especially if you're intend to find out the sex, you probably want to wait at least until after the anatomy scan.

As for time of day, I like mid-afternoon. I don't have to wake up early, but I don't sacrifice my entire night. And I love snack food. So, 2-5 or 6 is ideal for me, but I think that's really dependent on the guests that are coming.

All of that said, I don't really understand showers for the second (or more) child of a family. They're tacky to me. You should either already have stuff the kid could use or be able to provide it. A shower welcomes the mother to motherhood, it's not a celebration for the baby. If you want to do a 'Meet the Baby' then it's about the baby. I can kind of understand it if it's your MIL doing it and it's your husband's first child, but I'm still not wild about it.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • If you're not travelling then I would wait until 30-35 weeks.  I'll be travelling to a different country for mine so it's at 21 weeks.  I think it really depends upon your particular situation.

Also, if you're travelling you probably won't want to do a meet the baby party because you would have to travel with a very young baby.  If you're not travelling, then I would wait until after the baby is born.
  • You're going to get a lot of "Never, since it's your second baby."
  • ParadisemoonParadisemoon member
    edited November 2013
    Vinny424 said:
    You're going to get a lot of "Never, since it's your second baby."
    Yea I was gunna say that. You were probably better off lurking to find your answer than asking because you'll most likely get a lot of feed back
    And when she says feed back she means :
    imageimage
  • Fair enough. I don't care to have a shower but my mil insists on it. And with her its just easier to let her have her way. Thanks tho.
  • I was actually thinking about convincing her to do a gender reveal party instead that way she still gets to throw a party and I can avoid the baby shower. Everyone wins. What do y'all think?
  • Darbie914 said:

Perhaps she can throw a Meet the Baby party after the baby is born?

Not a bad idea, but its not for me. I don't like the idea of having a lot of people around the baby as a newborn or young infant. we had something like that with my first lo and he ended up catching RSV at 4 1/2 weeks and had to be hospitalized. So needless to say I'm freaked out about a similar situation happening! Thanks though, I appreciate youridea! :)
  • RibbitGrl930RibbitGrl930 member
    edited November 2013
    I was actually thinking about convincing her to do a gender reveal party instead that way she still gets to throw a party and I can avoid the baby shower. Everyone wins. What do y'all think?
    [-(

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"