July 2013 Moms
Options

Babyshower for the Grandma and a $5.99 Minipill Question...

Yep, I'm lumping all this into one thread.

First let me start with the question that won't be $5.99: Anyone hear of someone throwing a "shower" for a grandmother? My MIL is visiting and mentioned her neighbor threw her a shower since "we had Sully". This came up because she brought this little toy bear for him and mentioned "I wasn't supposed to get any gifts, but someone brought this". I've heard of cards and flowers to congratulate new grandparents, this just seemed over the top. What does J13 think? She also brought us a 5' tall stuffed giraffe, we are going to need a bigger house!

For my $5.99 question... anyone on the minipill missing their period? I'm still EBF/pumping at work. I just realized it has been 34 days since my LMP, and I was a short cycle girl before this pregnancy. :/

Re: Babyshower for the Grandma and a $5.99 Minipill Question...

• Options
    Like all baby shower topics, though, this will probably offend someone. :o3
    This could be fun ;)
  • Options
    haha my mother would kill people if someone threw her a grandmother shower. She cringes at the word "grandma". She's 37 though. 

No advice on the mini pill. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So
    ramy3695 said:

Who cares if it offends someone? Grandmothers don't need baby showers. The whole point of a baby shower is to shower the mother with gifts for the baby. I think it's ridiculous that someone would get a baby shower because their child had a baby. If you want to celebrate your grandkid, get your friends together for coffee and rave about the baby. No need for an actual shower.

This. And @jackson290721 my mom is 60 and cringed at being called grandma so we call her Gigi. Wtf!

imageimage            

• Options
    @MrsErinH I guess I'm just a little sensitive because I feel like she is constantly finding ways to make things all about her. My entire pregnancy I heard "I'm going to be a grandma!" and hardly anything about her son becoming a father or myself becoming a mother. When I was still in the hospital she sent me a text at 1am that said "We are so proud of you bringing our grandson into our world! I can hardly wait to hold him!" which just really irritated me in my postpartum sleep deprived hormonal state. Compare that to my mother who asked how I was doing and said "Isn't it amazing?!" I always try to take it all with a grain of salt and remember she means well, but all these little comments and pokes add up over time. :(
  • Options
    So
    Who cares if it offends someone? Grandmothers don't need baby showers. The whole point of a baby shower is to shower the mother with gifts for the baby. I think it's ridiculous that someone would get a baby shower because their child had a baby. If you want to celebrate your grandkid, get your friends together for coffee and rave about the baby. No need for an actual shower.
    This. And @jackson290721 my mom is 60 and cringed at being called grandma so we call her Gigi. Wtf!
    haha my mom is called nana. she thinks it sounds younger. 
  • Options
    edited November 2013

@chrissiemeas, do we have the same MIL?!? My MIL had a little shower thrown for her when DS1 was born, too--she, too, tends to make things about her and LOVES to give her opinions about everything to everyone...  I guess I didnt think much of the shower since she lives in a diff state (ID) and I (nor DH?) have never met any of the people who showered her.  She got baby stuff to keep at the house so when we visit we dont have to bring a ton of stuff, which is kinda nice, I guess.

She definitely made a much bigger deal out of DS1 than DS2--when DS2 was born this summer, my ILs basically just took DS1 all around town entertaining him at the zoo, the pool, parks, etc. while I stayed home with the baby.  Felt kinda bad for DS2 that people werent fussing over him as much--poor second child! :( But I enjoyed my snuggle time and having everyone out of my hair.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My mom got a couple gifts at my shower, I think it was like a grandma picture frame and something else small. But it was given to her after I opened all my gifts and most of the people stopped paying attention. I thought it was sweet. I couldn't imagine her needing an entire shower though. I don't think I would care either way as long as I didn't have to go, that would be weird.
  • Options
    Stina2012Stina2012 member
    edited November 2013
    My Moms work has a tradition that they throw grandma showers for each other. Kind of odd, but whatever.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Never heard of the shower thing.

I am also ebf and on the mini pill since 2 weeks pp. No period yet at all. I had two days of very, very light spotting about a month ago, but no signs, cramping, anything.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • Options
    I've been on the minipill since 6wks pp and I haven't had a period yet. Ebf here too.
  • Options
    Granny shower sounds great- as long as there's booze I'm down for any excuse to party ;)
  • Options
    elyse05 said:
    Granny shower sounds great- as long as there's booze I'm down for any excuse to party ;)
    Oh I guarantee there was alcohol! I've seen the woman down a fifth of Jack in one evening... the woman is a professional!
  • Options
    @ncchnat @redhead610 @kmrobinson86 You are making be feel better, I was dreading having to POAS. :( I'm not ready for another! If you need 600 calories to maintain milk supply, plus 300 calories to maintain a pregnancy I'd have to eat a whole cow a day or something ridiculous. 
  • Options
    ncchnat said:
    Never heard of a grandmother shower, but if her friends threw her one without her asking, then I think it's kind of sweet.

It's been 77 days since my last period and I'm on the mini pill, but I contribute that to breastfeeding.

ETA: I asked my doctor about it and she said that it's normal to start the pill, have several days of bleeding like a period and then not see it again until you stop breastfeeding.

This happened to me. I bled about a week after starting the mini pill and nothing since... Appox 7 weeks now. I read up on it and in about 50% of women the mini pill will suppress ovulation (even more likely if EBF). So I'm guessing the bleeding I had wasn't really a period from ovulation and that I'm likely not going to ovulate for a while. (For those wondering the main way the pill prevents pregnancy is from thickening the mucus so sperm can't meet egg...so even if you do ovulate your chance of getting pregnant is very small. But this is also why taking it at the same time is more important than even the regular pill)
    Trying for #2 since November 2015

DS #1 - 7/25/13

• Options
    Ebf on mini pill. No sign of AF
  • Options
    First off, no, grandma does NOT need a shower, how ridiculous! Second, I got my first PP AF at 6 weeks PP, started mini pill a few days later, and have not had a period since...Gavin is 17 weeks yesterday. Oh, and I EP.
  • Options

haha my mother would kill people if someone threw her a grandmother shower. She cringes at the word "grandma". She's 37 though. 

No advice on the mini pill. 
    I feel so old reading this. @mermomo5, you too? (I think we're the same age.)
  • Options
    I think a grandma shower is just plain tacky. The girls at work threw on for a coworker who is going to be a ft grandma. Sorry, no way was I going to buy a baby gift for the grandma. To me, it just seems kind of greedy.
  • Options
    I have never ever heard of a baby shower for a grandmother, but yes, I agree it's weird and tacky. Clearly it's not your mom's fault since it was thrown for her, but I'm definitely hoping that it's not the start of a new trend.

About your period: it's not unusual for it to take awhile for your body to start regulating your periods when you are PP. Also, your regular cycle can change after you have a baby. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but I would probably POAS. Not bc I really thought I was KU, but just bc I love to pee on things.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options

It is now confirmed. I could be Jackson's mother.

Haha you would be an awesome mom! @Citrusfamily
  • Options
    Lol! @Valstulas I think us POAS is the female equivalent to men using the world as their urinal, why should they have all the fun? :D
  • Options

Lol! @Valstulas I think us POAS is the female equivalent to men using the world as their urinal, why should they have all the fun? :D

Agreed. Everyone in my house can christen all of God's green earth but me? Well, that's not gonna fly.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"