Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty Training and Preschool--BOYS

Hi all--  I'm hoping to get advice from mom's of boys.  We are looking at preschools for my son for next fall when he will be 2.5 years old exactly.  The school we like the best mandates that he MUST be potty trained before beginning.  I am slightly nervous that he won't be totally trained by that time, but really I have no way of knowing.  He was about a month premature and hits his milestones a little later than some but still within the normal range.  Also, I've heard boys are a little more resistant to potty training than girls.  
The school assures me that peer pressure will help him if he is partially trained by next fall.  Problem is, I will be relying on the school for childcare so I need to be sure he is able to attend (my guess is, they won't be changing pull-ups everyday; they'd just have me keep him home until he is totally potty trained).
Thoughts, experiences???
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Potty Training and Preschool--BOYS

• Every kid is different, and 2.5 is kind of early to expect kids to be PTed for school!

I tried to PT my DS before 2.5 and it was a miserable failure. However, about half my mom group PTed their kids (boys and girls) at that time.

My DD potty trained before 2.5 but still has some poop accidents. Only two other girls in our mom group are potty trained...none of the boys, nor the other couple other girls, are PTed despite their moms trying.

• I agree with @Spin313, this sounds chancy at 2.5.  Is it possible your son will be potty trained by 2.5?  Sure.  But is is just as possible you will be nowhere near that goal.  Which is just added stress on top of the already stressful situation of having him at a new school.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Here kids have to be PT by 3 for school. They all manage it, boys and girls I don't think Luxembourgish kids are any different to US.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • Here kids have to be PT by 3 for school. They all manage it, boys and girls I don't think Luxembourgish kids are any different to US.
    I think that's true of most schools here too, but being potty trained by 3, and being potty trained by 2.5 are very different things.  My son's preschool class goes from 2-3.5, the 2 year olds are still in diapers, the 3 year olds are not.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker

I think that's true of most schools here too, but being potty trained by 3, and being potty trained by 2.5 are very different things.  My son's preschool class goes from 2-3.5, the 2 year olds are still in diapers, the 3 year olds are not.

My bad, I totally read it as he would be 3 when starting! Doh!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Screen Shot 2012-11-15 at 8.25.16 AM
  • I would start working on it now, he's not too young at all.  You have over 9 months before he would be starting and that will more than likely be plenty of time if you're consistent with it. I wouldn't try and tell yourself this early that he won't be trained in time; if you only had a couple of months it would be a bit different. I'm sure he'll do fine!

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • My first son was potty trained at 2.5, and I anticipate my 2 year old will be in the next 4 or 5 months. So it is doable. Get a potty, some potty books and start talking about it..
  • It's not impossible to start early. DS potty trained right around 2.5 but it did take awhile before I felt comfortable that he would actually vocalize to a teacher that he had to go. I would guess they would probably take the kids to the bathroom at certain intervals, though, so he may be just fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"