Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

What size clothing?

How old is your baby and what size clothing are they wearing now? I'm trying to get a feel for the sizes my baby will wear at 6-9mth old so I can search out sale items. :)
photo maymommy2014.jpg
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: What size clothing?

• Options
    DD is 7 months and currently 19 1/2 pounds & 27 inches.  She's mostly in the 6-9 month size but still fits into a few 3-6 months outfits. But every baby is different and clothing brands are also different.  I'd search out sale items anyway since your baby will wear them eventually.  I've noticed Gerber runs very small but most of her other clothing brands are pretty true to size.
  • Options
    Also...if there is a Once Upon A Child in your area I'd hit it.  We score some awesome stuff, some still with original tags, for great prices.  They also do 10 onesies for 10 bucks.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    LisaLisa1980LisaLisa1980 member
    edited November 2013
    He's 6 months & 22 lbs. it varies by brand but in Carter's he can wear some 6 months, but mostly 9 months. Size 12 months in Pekkke brand (Costco), and 6-12 months in Old Navy (I can even put him in 12-18 month but they are big). In pants - 18 months

Like PP said, Gerber runs small. DS outgrew 6 month onesies at 3 months
  • Options
    There is honestly zero way to know and other kids' stats aren't going to help.  I have a peanut who stays pretty true to size (my oldest did as well) but a LOT of kids leap right over sizes and are super tall or heavy.  So, I wouldn't buy anything too "seasonal."  Cotton pants are good pretty much all year except the hottest of days (and they're still good in the A/C in the summer).  Plain short and long sleeve onesies are good for layering in the fall, winter and spring.  Cotton pjs can work all year if you use a sleep sack and keep your house a little warmer in the winter.

My only suggestion is to avoid Gerber at all costs.  Their sizing is WAY off and I can almost guarantee that you won't use any of it because it will never fit correctly (says the person who bought 6-9 onesies that my son had outgrown at least 3 months prior lol)
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    My son is 6 1/2 months, and weighs 18 pounds. He fits perfectly in the 6-9 month stuff, but I'm only buying 6-12 or 9-12 month stuff for him...even though it's a little big on him, I figure it's not overwhelmingly big, and we'll get more use out of it. I also got him a couple of fleece sweaters in size 12-18 months that he's swimming in, but I can put them over anything.

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • Options

My daughter is 8months.  About 18.5lbs and 27+ inches.  She wears a big cloth diaper so this adds to the waist and her torso length.  She is in 12months and some 18months clothes.

I HATE my clothes being tight, or even 'fitting' by others standards I need them loose.  I find I pass this on to my daughter...when I dress her and it 'fits' I feel like she will be uncomfortable so I up the size.  The biggest factor is the pants...I feel they need to be loose and stretchy for her to sit comfy and to move about (I sit crossed legged on floor most my day and hate my pant legs restricting my leg movement too).

Point being...baby clothing size doesn't just relate to their body measurements.  Your preferences will play into it as well.  My friends 6 month old is always in tighter clothes because that's how mom prefers them to fit.

Also, some kids are all legs and some all torso.  This will change sizes for certain items (sleepers versus pants).

I learned very quickly that while you can save by buying the next size on sale you end up wasting money because those clothes never get worn!  Oh, the clothes we have packed away unworn.

• Options
    I realize all babies are different. I'm still
    curious and would like to know. It would give me a general idea and that is all I'm looking for. Thanks.
    photo maymommy2014.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    tig594 said:

DD is 7 months and currently 19 1/2 pounds & 27 inches.  She's mostly in the 6-9 month size but still fits into a few 3-6 months outfits. But every baby is different and clothing brands are also different.  I'd search out sale items anyway since your baby will wear them eventually.  I've noticed Gerber runs very small but most of her other clothing brands are pretty true to size.

All babys are different. Case and point my DD is the exact size as this PP and she wears 9 month pants and shirts and 12month onesies and pajamas. Dresses in both sizes depending on who made it. Carter's tends to run small while faded glory runs big.
    I buy all my baby clothes from the thrift stores now. Maybe check out your local thrifts and your closest goodwill. Most baby clothes are .99 or 1.99 at thrift stores and goodwill.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    tig594 said:
    My nearly 15 month old is 20 pounds and 29 inches.  She just went into size 12 month clothing.
    I also have an adopted nearly nine month old.  She is the same size and wears the same size as her big sister who is six months older.  It depends on the child.
  • Options
    My daughter will be 9 months on Friday, Nov 8th. She currently wears 9 months, 9-12 months and some 6-12 and 6-9 months depending on the brand. I totally agree with the above posters - Gerber brand does run small. Circo/Carter's run a little bit bigger so some smaller sizes my baby has been able to wear longer.
  • Options
    Dd is a little thing. At 8.5 months she is around 26 1/2 inches and right at 15 lbs. She is wearing 6 month size which is 3-6 month. For jammies she is about too long for the 9 month sized. Childrens Place she will wear the 9-12 month jammies and they fit perfectly. Dresses seem to be made big because she still fits on some 3 month ones.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options

I second avoiding Gerber brand. They run small abs and shrink a ton.

DS is 7.5 mo, 21 lbs and wears mostly 12 month shirts and onesies, 9 month pants, 9 or 12 month sleepers.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

C  7.16.2008 | L  11.12.2010 | A  3.18.2013

• Options
    My lo is 6 months and is in 6 to 9 months clothes mainly because she is 29.5 inches long!

New Mommy!!!

• Options
    6-9months and bigger. I don't buy anything smaller. I don't even buy 6month anymore i will buy 9months or 6-12 months.
  • Options
    We are in6-9 and 6-12, although a few things are getting too short.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Options
    DS is 6 months, 17 pounds and 27" long. I've got him in 9 months everything.

And Gerber clothes suck for sizing.
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    8.5 months old and 22 lbs, 28" tall. He is in 18month onesies and some 24month, but 12month pants. He is all torso.
    Derek - February 2013        Caelyn April 2011
    imageimage

• Options
    Every baby is different. I'd say you can safely buy sleepers and onesies in all sizes, but anything else will depend on your baby. My first two were very similar in size, and my third is much smaller.

DD3 is 7 months, 15 lbs 4 oz, and 28". I'm just moving her into 6-9 month/9 month sleepers. For outfits she's in 3-6 month/6 month size, although some of the pants are getting too short.

DD1 and DD2 moved into 6-9 month/9 month clothing at 4 months but were both in that size until about 8 months. At 8-9 months they wore 9-12 month/6-12 month/12 month clothing.

DD1 was 18 lbs 8oz and 29" at 6 months and 20 lbs 7oz and 31 1/4" at 9 months.
    DD2 was 18 lbs and 27 3/4" at 6 months and 21 lbs 4oz and 28 3/4" at 9 months.

Oh, and you'll also find different brands of clothing have different weight ranges for the same size and fit differently too.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Options

Buy the staples in various sizes, but wait on the season specific stuff until your LO is here and you get an idea his/her body type and size. 

My first DS was born too big for newborn clothes, so that was a huge waste of money. The fall/winter (6-9 mos)I had bought would have fit him in in August, so again a big waste.  My twins are 6 months old today.  One wears some 6-9 months, and is starting to wear 12 months.  The other started wearing 12 months clothing at 4 months and occasionally wears 18 month clothes.  He is very broad while his brother is finer boned.  Body type is a bigger factor than age.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    DD will be 8 months on th 10th. She weighs 22lbs and is mostly wearing 12month clothing. She is starting to wear 18 month sleepers.
  • Options
    Every baby is different. 7 months, wears 12 month shirts and onesies and 18 month pants and sleepers. He was able to wear preemie size at birth.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DS is wearing 18 months.  I had 12 months pants on him the other day and he looked like he was wearing capris.  I'm not sure about his height, but he is 23 lbs.  Clothing sizes annoy me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    6 months old and in mostly 12 months with some 18 months.  For carters it is mostly 12 months.

he is 22 lbs 6 oz and 27.25 inches
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"