Baby Showers

Restaurant Baby Shower

I don't love the idea of having my shower at a restaurant but there just wasn't anywhere else that would work for it.  My mom is planning the whole thing. I am just wondering if there's a certain etiquette to how it should flow since food will be served, not just a snack table/buffet like an in-home shower.  I am thinking it makes sense to open gifts while the guests are eating and do a few games before and after the food is served?  I don't want it to feel too formal.  Should I even be worrying about this since my mom is planning it?  I am just feeling control-freaky preggo.

Re: Restaurant Baby Shower

• RibbitGrl930RibbitGrl930 member
    edited November 2013
    Honestly, I would skip games at a restaurant shower. Unless they were games that can be played just sitting down at the table, it would just create a logistical nightmare.

• Yeah, we are just doing simple games, nothing that requires getting up and moving around, but more like pen and paper stuff. And actually most are not games but more like activities, such as writing "notes for mommy" on newborn diapers, and each person writing on a calendar what they think my due date and time will be (as a keepsake.)   

• Loading the player...
  • We will be in a private room.
  • MrsEll said:
    Mine was at a restaurant, in a private room. I started opening gifts right before dessert. Until then, I milled around saying hello to the guests while they were eating. I also ate at some point, but I don't know when exactly. No games or activities. I hate that crap.
    This is basically how my shower went too.  I ate, talked to the guests, then before dessert time, I started opening the gifts. 
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• You really shouldn't be worrying about this, but considering your other post complaining about no one shopping off your registry, I guess I'm not surprised.  

I was not complaining!! I was simply asking for advice. Which I received. I know my mom's planning the shower, I'm just concerned because I've never been to a restaurant shower before and I want the guests to be comfortable and not feel like it's a formal event. Didn't know if there was a certain protocol to follow. I'm looking for advice/support, not tear downs please.
  • My friend is throwing mine at her restaurant.  I'm a little nervous about having it there, but you know...its her thing.  It'll turn out fine.  It depends what kind of restaurant.  Mine will be at a mexican restaurant-so everything is low key.  No one will have to feel like its a formal event.  I would suggest games like Bingo and other things where it won't get so chaotic.  
  • I've been to a bridal shower that happened in a private room of a restaurant.  It started out with people mingling and talking.  Then everyone was asked to sit down.  They had a few games and served food while opening the presents.  She had about 60 people so it was nice to have something to do while opening the presents.
  • I just posted this somewhere else...mine is going to be in a restaurant but in a separate room and definitely a buffet. I'm not sure how else you have a shower at a restaurant. Just seems like a shower without a buffet would be a clusterfuck.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Anniversary
  • The last baby shower i went to was buffet style in a restaurant in a separate banquet area..ive also been to a baby shower where they had a preset menu with 2-3 meal choices that you could choose from, both went along smoothly..but i think banquet style would be the best option
  • Yeah we are doing private room, appetizer buffet, and 3-item menu for those who want a full meal. And cupcakes. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"