February 2013 Moms
Options

Waving and Clapping

All these darn milestone emails are starting to make me nervous - DS is crawling, pulling up, babbling up a storm (ba-ba, da-da, ta-da, and ma-ma, which I could swear is directed at me), but there is no mimicking to be found. I'm always encouraging clapping, waving, etc. and so far, nothing but a blank stare. I didn't let it bother me too much, but all the lovely weekly and monthly milestone emails have started rolling in saying he should already be doing these things. I'm probably being silly, but it has actually started to worry me! Tell me I'm not crazy? DS turned 8 months the 26th, so he's one of the youngest in our bunch

Little T Born 2/26/13
TTC #2 since August 2014
BFP #2: 4/15/15 * EDD: 12/19/15 * MMC: 5/7/15
BFP #3: 7/23/15 * EDD: 3/29/16

Re: Waving and Clapping

• Options

You're not crazy.  DS2 is one of the older ones on this board (mid-Jan birthdate) - he's been clapping for maybe 2-3 weeks, and he doesn't wave yet.

DS1: Quinn - 10.22.10 and DS2: Cole - 01.18.13

• Options
    We're the opposite with waving and no clapping. DS will be 9 months on the 11th and he just started waving maybe a week or so ago. He does it with his whole arm!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Don't worry. It's hard not to compare, but every baby is unique and develops on his own timeline. As long as certain milestones are met (based by my pedi), I dont stress over it. My son would be considered "behind" to many on this board...even your baby.

My son is almost 9months. He cannot get into a sitting position in his own (but will sit, if I put his that way), he does an Army crawl (but no real crawling yet), he gets onto all fours and rocks (so I am guessing crawling is coming at some point), he does not pull up, does not walk. He doesn't wave or clap. He mostly squeals, grunts, and laughs, and makes very few other sounds. I think he says da-da-da (but it's not directed at hubby).

I do not feel that there is anything developmentally wrong with my son. He plays, eats, and sleeps well. He is very easy going. He is curious and loves exploring new things he sees. He knows his name and adores his big sister. So he's just going about things at his own pace.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks, ladies! I feel like I know deep down that he's perfectly fine, and that all babies progress at different rates. It's just difficult in this age of information overload, you can't help but grasp on to the one story of a baby who exhibited similar traits and DID end up having developmental issues. Thank you for the reassurance. I'm sure it will be like crawling - now that he's doing it, sometimes I wish he's stop! ;)

Little T Born 2/26/13
    TTC #2 since August 2014

• Options
    DS3 is already 9 months and just started clapping this weekend.  I think he is starting to wave but it has come at random times so it is hard to tell if it is a wave or just random hand motions.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Options
    Yes, I definitely need to unsubscribe from those emails! I originally enjoyed receiving them because I thought "Oh great, I can't wait until he's doing that soon. I'll be on the lookout!" But that quickly becomes "He's not doing what they said he'd do last week. SOMETHING'S WRONG WITH MY BABY!" As if we all don't have enough to worry about already...:)

Little T Born 2/26/13
    TTC #2 since August 2014

• Options
    We clap and wave but not even a hint of babbling! Lots of whining (yay) but no mama or dada here!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I was about to make a post about how DS is almost 8 months and still no crawling. Not even an army crawl. A couple weeks ago he was getting up on all fours and rocking, but then he stopped doing even that. 

Like you, I'm trying really hard not to compare him to other babies. Obviously, I think he's perfect in every way, but it's hard to see other babies his age crawling around and he's still stuck on his tummy. 
  • Options
    DC2London said:
    Those emails can be the most horrible mindf*** ever.  Ignore them ;)
    LOL, somehow, I never expected to hear that from you! But I totally agree.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Options

DS claps and waves when he feels like it. he says baba (not has no idea what is means) and gaga...i beg for mama or at the very least dad...i get nothing! try not to compare...every baby is different and some kids start these things at 6 mos..others at 10 mos. LO will get there!

• Options

Everett has been clapping since right around 6 months but still no waving (we will be 9 months in 3 days). He can get into the sitting position from laying down and he can stand up on his own holding on to something. He hasn't even tried to say mama or dada but does a lot of grunting and smiling. He still does the army crawl and I am beginning to wonder if he will ever lift himself up off the floor but he does get around well. Last night, he started putting his food into his mouth by himself, something he NEVER did before because he always wanted us to do it for him. So some areas I think he is doing great and others I feel like he is behind (or just lazy!).

It's hard because at church, all the babies around his age are all saying mama and dada and it makes me wonder what's wrong with my baby!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    My DD will be 9 months on Friday. She does not clap either. She will wave. Especially when she's in her car seat, on the changing table, eating etc. She's been crawling for the last month, rolling over both back to stomach and stomach to back, sitting unassisted since she was around 6 months. She has been babbling since around 4-5 months. She say na-na, da-da, makes noises like a billy goat sometimes.
  • Options
    DD cries (with actual tears) if she crawls. The only way I get her to crawl is if I have food near by to tempt her. Her current fav are peas. Other than that, she cries the entire time. She's just begun to babble in the last 2-3 weeks. I'd unsubscribe to those emails...it's what I plan on doing :)
  • Options
    9 months today and no clapping or waving. Babbling only started last week. But she can stand on her own now!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"