June 2013 Moms

Daycare Question

My son attends a home daycare which is licensed. In the contract I can opt to have a full week vacation given two weeks. During which time I am waived a week of the bill. However if the daycare provider opts to have two days or one day due to closed ..( she took one day last week and two next week)...I still owe a full week.
The only time I am waived is if I use my vacation days.
My question is how is it when your provider is closed. Are you required to pay a full week?

Re: Daycare Question

• I go to an in-home sitter and I don't pay if she is closed/sick, but I also don't get an option of vacation days.
  • We pay the same rate every week, no matter what.  I wouldn't be ok with her being able to take random days off, unlimited, but it's definitely fair that she get paid for holidays and a certain number of vacation days per year, just like people get at a company.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • I guess I am gonna see how it consistent her days off are. She tells you ahead of time, I was given a three or four week notice. Another issue is that she is 20 minutes from my job, one would think I could be on time. She pick up her niece about 35 mins away in regular traffic. My drop off time if 8:35 but she's usually pulling up at 8:40 so I'm late daily. My job is flexible now but once it snow my time would be delayed even more
    She is reasonable financially but cuts into my work schedule.
    MH suggest I look for another daycare. I'm really comfortable with her but other factors get in my way.
  • We pay the same rate every week whether daycare is closed or DD is there. DCP has certain holidays off and 6 days throughout the year.
    My Book Blog

my read shelf:
    Denise's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

• We go to an in home DC as well and we have all of our terms written out, but she is super lax (and so are we for that matter). Technically, we don't pay her if she is sick, but we do pay her if B couldn't come because he was sick. She also has my vacation schedule (I work for a school) and I don't pay her for scheduled holiday breaks but do for snow days.
    image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • Your situation is pretty common. Most people pay the same amount every week with one or two weeks of consolidated vacation that can be used. That makes the DCP's pay predictable for her family budgeting purpose.

On the other hand, my DCP only has us pay for the hours our kids are there. We do not pay if she is sick, our kids are sick, holidays, vacations, or summer. DH is home all summer with no paycheck so we could not afford to pay for care we would not be using.
  • I'm lucky. My DCP doesn't charge if DD isn't there, whether it's because she's closed or we choose to keep her home for any reason. My mom was here visiting this week and she wanted to spend time with DD so she didn't go to day care and we didn't pay. It's awesome and definitely not the norm.
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • The only days they close are for Christmas and Thanksgiving if I remember correctly, and I have to pay like a normal week still. Every other day they are open.

Oh and like twice a year they have a staff in-service, and I think they said they close early those days, but I am not 100% certain.

It sounds like your daycare provider is just choosing random days to close and you still have to pay for that? If so, that is so not cool, and I would insist on either not paying or find another provider if it were me. I'm totally cool with paying for Christmas and Thanksgiving because I would have kept him home those days even if they were open.
  • We use an in home and only pay for days he's there, we looked for this in advance though because my husbands schedule changes from week to week, I know it's extremely rare, at least where we are.
  • We use a church daycare and they follow the local school districts schedule. They have many days off throughout the year, but we pay the same rate no matter what.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"