High-Risk Pregnancy

Irritable Uterus plus cervical shortening

Let me start off by saying that I'm probably over reacting and my story is nothing compared to what a lot of people go through. 

Back story, this is my fifth pregnancy.  I have one DS at home.  So PGAL brain is making me crazy.

When pregnant with DS I was diagnosed with an irritable uterus.  I started contracting at 28 weeks but never dilated.  My cervix stayed thick and closed until 36 weeks and I actually ended up a c'/s when I got stuck at 7 cm.  This pregnancy a MFM is following me d/t the multiple miscarriages and a clotting issue that was found (PAI-1 4g/4g homozygous)  I started contracting at 18 weeks by my new high risk OB wasn't concerned since I never dilated last time and never checked me.  A week ago I ended up in L&D after contracting for 4 hours every 2 min apart.  I was there for three days, got steroids, but cervix was 44mm and closed. I fell down the stairs over the weekend, but never went back to L&D d/t DH. I just had my followup apt with my MFM this afternoon and am freaking out.  I plan on calling when they open tomorrow and demanding to talk to the MFM since he couldn't take the time to talk to me today.  My cervix was 37mm.  I know 35-40 is normal for 28 weeks, so its technically still ok, but the fact that it changed so much scares the crap out of me.  I am a nurse so my job is physically demanding so I'm afraid to work this weekend.  They are checking it again in 2 weeks.  Does the amount of change not matter until its less that 30 mm?  Are my contractions causing this?  I just don't want to do anything wrong.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13
Abnormal ANA, PAI-1 4G/4G homozygous

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Irritable Uterus plus cervical shortening

• Well if your concern then i would definitely talk with the mfm but from what your telling us it doesnt seem like you have cervical incompetence issue...the cervix is a muscle so its going to change from day to day, working on your feet weigh of the baby etc. the thing about contractions is that sometimes it will change the cervix and sometimes it wont.
  • I agree with Bossy. The cervix is dynamic so one day it can be 4.5cm the next 3.5 then back to 4.5cm. Contractions can or can not affect your cervix. I have a weak cervix and my contractions never affect my cervix so its hard to tell. Your length isnt bad. I know the feeling of pgal brain so just ask for another cervical ck for some peace of mind. Another thing my dr always told me was, not to pay so much at tension to the number because they constantly changing.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PP's but will add that the cervix will naturally start to shorten around 30 weeks and you're not far from that.  If you're seeing a MFM and they are confident everything is fine, I would trust that.  Good luck and just take it easy.  If you think your job is an issue, call MFM and ask them just to verify.  If they feel it's an issue, they will take you off work until further notice.  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • Your cervix is not just normal, it is still very long. As your pregnancy progresses, the cervix has to begin shortening or else you would gestate for 63 months! In fact, cervix checks stop at 32 weeks because by that point, it is supposed to be "short" ( but still closed). So basically, you are overreacting but that's ok :)

If you had an appt with your MFM yesterday, why do you feel he didn't have time for you? That is what I'd be most concerned with.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Your cervix is not just normal, it is still very long. As your pregnancy progresses, the cervix has to begin shortening or else you would gestate for 63 months! In fact, cervix checks stop at 32 weeks because by that point, it is supposed to be "short" ( but still closed). So basically, you are overreacting but that's ok :) If you had an appt with your MFM yesterday, why do you feel he didn't have time for you? That is what I'd be most concerned with.
    I've never even seen the man.  The tech does the US, won't answer any questions, leaves the room to show it to the MFM then comes back in and says he's happy with the way everything looks and I can go.  I called the office today and said I had questions and I was told "they should talk to you after your scans"  Well they never have so I have questions.  She said they would call me back later in the morning and its now 125 PM.  I doubt I'll hear anything.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Missed MC 11/17/10 Our little miracle born 1/27/12 Natural MC 7/19/12 Missed MC 1/22/13 Our family is complete DD 12/27/13

• Your cervix is not just normal, it is still very long. As your pregnancy progresses, the cervix has to begin shortening or else you would gestate for 63 months! In fact, cervix checks stop at 32 weeks because by that point, it is supposed to be "short" ( but still closed). So basically, you are overreacting but that's ok :)

If you had an appt with your MFM yesterday, why do you feel he didn't have time for you? That is what I'd be most concerned with.

I've never even seen the man.  The tech does the US, won't answer any questions, leaves the room to show it to the MFM then comes back in and says he's happy with the way everything looks and I can go.  I called the office today and said I had questions and I was told "they should talk to you after your scans"  Well they never have so I have questions.  She said they would call me back later in the morning and its now 125 PM.  I doubt I'll hear anything.

That's awful! I bet he is billing your insurance for office visits! You deserve to voice your concerns and get answers from your doctor!

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • I would call the office again. 
  • Id call back and call my OB.

BFP #1 - 3/19/09 - M/C  - 4/5/09 6 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 - 7/1/09 - DD born 3/8/2010
    BFP #3 - 11/1/10 - chemical pregnancy
    BFP #4 - 1/2/11 - DS born 9/8/11
    BFP#5 - 7/13/13 - stick baby stick!  Due 4/24/14

• my cervix changes between 3.5 and 2.5 cm and they arent concerned my doctor said if it goes to 2 then we will get concerned. if you have questions though call your doctor

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• I called my OB and they told me they'd go over everything at my appointment next week. The MFM didn't call back. Is this normal for a MFM to not see a patient? Or the waiting a week for results?

• I called my OB and they told me they'd go over everything at my appointment next week. The MFM didn't call back. Is this normal for a MFM to not see a patient? Or the waiting a week for results?

The mfm came in during my cervical USs and talked about a plan after the US. My US was also a lot worse tho. The tech went and got her to she could see it when she was doing it and see it first hand. At my AS it was normal and I never saw mfm. Maybe cause urs was within normal range they didn't get Him?
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• not normal..after all my scans the MD comes in...its hard to tell you but I agree with the PP I don't think you have anything to worry about( id kill right now for a length of 3.7)....which maybe why the response is not as quick as you would like...
  • sexyntexysexyntexy member
    edited November 2013
    I never saw a mfm. I saw a peri. And he always did the exam.

Oops. I just googled and realized these are the same. LOL.

BFP #1 - 3/19/09 - M/C  - 4/5/09 6 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 - 7/1/09 - DD born 3/8/2010
    BFP #3 - 11/1/10 - chemical pregnancy
    BFP #4 - 1/2/11 - DS born 9/8/11
    BFP#5 - 7/13/13 - stick baby stick!  Due 4/24/14

• claarclaar member
    edited November 2013
    It seems you have a good cervical length for your gestation, but I would definitely take issue with your Mfm not seeing you! If he is billing you for office visits, that is fraud! I am a nurse at a hospital, and one of our physicians got in big trouble for not rounding on the patients, but still writing in their charts and billing them. Check your insurance claims and explanation of benefits. I think you deserve better!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"