February 2014 Moms

STMs Placenta Delivery

Okay so clearly I need to take the birthing class that I'm signed up for... But I guess I never really thought about the placenta after birth! Is your baby taken out of your arms for you to push and deliver this thing?!? How the heck does this work? Is it painful? Sorry for my FTM lack of knowledge in advance. Ha!

Re: STMs Placenta Delivery

• Hahahaha thank you for making me laugh. How long after the birth of your baby does this happen?!
  • Loading the player...
  • For me, it was pretty much right after...like five minutes. Don't know if that's standard or not.
  • All my pregnancies it was no big deal .... It kind of blonde out on its own while I was holding the baby. The cord was already cut. They usually ask if you want to see it. Kind of gross but kind of cool to check out
  • My mom told me after you got a human out the placenta is nbd.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I don't even remember the delivery of the placenta with either of my kids, so that should tell you something!
  • I had one of the rare difficult placenta deliveries - the dr had to really pull it out since it wasn't coming on its own. That part of the delivery really scared my DH.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Not a STM but there are some pretty cool videos on YouTube. A lot are in Spanish for some reason though.
  • I think I may have had to push once and it was out. It's no big deal. No one is really paying attention because there's a baby!!!!
  • I don't remember delivering mine either! It was also one of the last things on my mind once I saw my DS.
  • Yup, no memory of delivering it here! I was so numb that I felt nothing any away. I was just so into my newborn at that point. I didn't see it and I won't be mad if I don't see it this time either lol yuck!!
    I'm a sinner saved by grace and a child of the Attitude Era (Oh you didn't know?!?)
    #OurBoyD-Bryan #TeamCrossRhodes #KnowYourRoll #ShutYourMouth 
    DD#1: 9/3/2004 Noelle Catherine
    DD#2: 1/26/2014 Faith Preston
    DC(dear cat?? lol): 6/5/2009 Shane Fitzgerald Kennedy
    I married my best friend <3 DH is my knight in shining armor! 

• Ditto others!  I don't even remember feeling the placenta being delivered at all.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I was holding my baby while my placenta delivered.  For me, it was less than 5 minutes.

Same here. Honestly, with my new baby on my chest, the doctor could have been doing just about anything down there and I wouldn't even have noticed :)
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I don't remember delivering my placenta...I think it just came out from the contractions.  After delivering DS, I may have been to preoccupied with him to notice....so I guess what I am trying to say is that it wasn't a big deal for me.
  • I couldn't deliver mine, for some reason it would not depart from me. I had to have a d&C to remove it so I was knocked out cold don't know what happened, but have always heard after the baby is our you barely notice the doctor delivering the placenta and sewing you up part.

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • I work in L and D. Most placentas come out fairly quickly. Our hospital policy is to wait no longer than 30 mins after the baby. I've only seen that once in six years. And maybe two D and C's after. My advice: don't swear it!
  • Not a STM but there are some pretty cool videos on YouTube. A lot are in Spanish for some reason though.
    What?!?! Why would I want to watch random women deliver their placentas! Ahhhhh
    LOL, I like watching medical procedures and other "gross" stuff. Plus, I watched way too many birth videos in college, they are nothing anymore. 
  • I delivered mine minutes after DS was born while the nurses were cleaning him up. It pretty much just plopped out. After all the hard work I did pushing it was a breeze!
  • It typically comes out within a few minutes of birth - and your body tends to expel it without much effort/thought from you. Most women don't really notice because they're busying snuggling a new baby and thinking "Holy Shit I have a(nother) Kid!!!"

~30mins is the max you want to wait, because until it's delivered your uterus can't contract itself down properly and you run the risk of a serious hemorrhage situation. But yea, it's not like you'll need to do much. Actually one of the best things you can do to speed up the placenta delivery and subsequent uterus shrinking is nursing right away. The hormones will help cue your body to do it's thing.

TBH I find the whole process of birth really amazing, how the body just does what it's supposed to do (in theory lol) and you don't really have "control" over things.

I don't remember it being delivered at all, I do distinctly remember hating having to lay still so Dr could stitch up my tears while having the post-birth shakes (btw that is VERY common and can be unnerving if you don't know about it).

imageimage
  • The doctor did the whole thing while I was meeting the baby...I was pretty unaware about what was happening. It was not something I need to push out, they did need to administer a little drugs b/c it wasn't coming but it wasn't something I noticed or had to do anything about. It happened right after LO arriving.

• I remember I was snuggling with DD and she may have asked for one last push to get it out.  DD was still slimy and being wiped off and such, so it was pretty quickly after she came out.  The Dr.  might have said something like "you don't need to watch this part."  Honestly I don't remember it much at all.
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • KaraLeigh115KaraLeigh115 member
    edited November 2013
    I've been in 3 delivery rooms with friends and the dr kinda just pulls the thing out. I've seen one to where it just feel out to where the dr had to kinda push on the belly to help.. Moms didn't seem to notice it.
  • It typically comes out within a few minutes of birth - and your body tends to expel it without much effort/thought from you. Most women don't really notice because they're busying snuggling a new baby and thinking "Holy Shit I have a(nother) Kid!!!"

~30mins is the max you want to wait, because until it's delivered your uterus can't contract itself down properly and you run the risk of a serious hemorrhage situation. But yea, it's not like you'll need to do much. Actually one of the best things you can do to speed up the placenta delivery and subsequent uterus shrinking is nursing right away. The hormones will help cue your body to do it's thing.

TBH I find the whole process of birth really amazing, how the body just does what it's supposed to do (in theory lol) and you don't really have "control" over things.

I don't remember it being delivered at all, I do distinctly remember hating having to lay still so Dr could stitch up my tears while having the post-birth shakes (btw that is VERY common and can be unnerving if you don't know about it).

Post birth shakes? Just from all of the adrenaline, etc?

• Mine was difficult to deliver but not in the same way as delivering a child. I didn't work hard to deliver it but my doctor did have to give me some medicine intravaginally to get it to deliver and then I had some hemorrhaging issues. Then I had to be stitched up. During this time, the nurses were with DS or DH was holding him. I didn't really know what was going on at the time because I was so exhausted.
  • Most doctors will give you an injection into your hip to help it come out faster (can't remember what the stuff is called...) since I used and will again use a midwife, and they rarely use the injection she's said that as long as the blood loss isn't excessive they don't worry if it takes even 40 minutes to come out, and it just pops right out, like pushing out a bag of jello, barely feel it after a hard bony baby!
  • Post birth shakes? Just from all of the adrenaline, etc?
    It happens with a majority of births, vaginal or csect and whether you have drugs/not, and often woman feels cold/shivers or shakes. Sometimes it's just a few seconds, sometimes it lasts longer.  Here's an interesting study of 50 women - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1765959 44% experienced shivers.

There are a few reasons why they think it happens, but mainly it's due to the huge shift in hormones that takes place, including the adrenaline of giving birth. They gave me a nice heated blanket :)

There are some interesting cultural beliefs tied to the reasons for the shiver too, but it's a very common thing that I rarely hear talked about.

imageimage
  • Most doctors will give you an injection into your hip to help it come out faster (can't remember what the stuff is called...) since I used and will again use a midwife, and they rarely use the injection she's said that as long as the blood loss isn't excessive they don't worry if it takes even 40 minutes to come out, and it just pops right out, like pushing out a bag of jello, barely feel it after a hard bony baby!

They typically give Pitocin to help get it out.  Many women don't even notice because they're already hooked up to the IV.  It was part of our birth plan to allow it to come out on its own with no intervention.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • I literally don't remember delivering the placenta at all! I do remember the painful stitching up process which took forever and was awful. 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"