Need help with ammonia smell! — The Bump
Cloth Diapering

Need help with ammonia smell!

I am hoping someone can help me with my ammonia stink issue.  I have stopped using my CD's because the smell is so bad, I can't take it.  It started with an ammonia smell after sitting in the diaper pail not even one day.  And recently I noticed the smell while changing his diaper as well.  I have done a Dawn strip twice and soaked them in Rock N Green and then rinsed several times.  They smell clean out of the washer but still have the smell after used.  I have a HE FL and was using Tide original powder for months then switched to Rock n Green for hard water because that's what we have once the stink got bad.  I have heard about using vinegar but not to if you have hard water.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!
Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage

Re: Need help with ammonia smell!

• Dawn won't help with ammonia. I would do hot water strips first (hot washes on clean diapers with no detergent) and if that doesn't walk do a wash with about 1/4 cup bleach. Then switch detergents. Rockin Green sucks. I'm confused, did you start getting the smell while using Tide? If you did, I would switch back (after the stripping/bleach) and use less detergent than you were previously using.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Thanks for your response.  I forgot to add I also did a wash with bleach too and it didn't work.  I will try the hot water strip and then the bleach again.  Yes, I noticed the smell while using Tide.
  • Ammonia in a pail is pretty normal, but it should really only best potent that you smell it when you're emptying it into the wash, or are up close and personal with the pail. Do you leave it open or closed? Open, though it seems counterintuitive, is better for airflow and cuts down on stink.

It's not normal to have ammonia smell on diapers that are freshly peed in though, and it usually means too much or the wrong kind of detergent. Also, you may not have enough water in your HE FL, and you can try using the towel trick to get more water into the load.
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Are these all diapers? And I second the hot water washes. Check for bubbles.
    Honestly, I am not sure which diapers they are.  I'm not sure if it's certain inserts or the prefolds because I don't use just one kind all the time so I have been trying to treat all of them.
  • Ammonia in a pail is pretty normal, but it should really only best potent that you smell it when you're emptying it into the wash, or are up close and personal with the pail. Do you leave it open or closed? Open, though it seems counterintuitive, is better for airflow and cuts down on stink.

It's not normal to have ammonia smell on diapers that are freshly peed in though, and it usually means too much or the wrong kind of detergent. Also, you may not have enough water in your HE FL, and you can try using the towel trick to get more water into the load.

I use a swing top pail so a little air gets in but not a lot.  I can smell it though just standing in the room, not up close to the diapers and when I go to wash them I about fall over from the burn in my nose.  I will try the towel trick for more water.
  • The smell is worse in the pail probably because of the all the diapers combined but they also recently have been smelling when I changed him.
  • Ok, I will try that.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards