April 2014 Moms

Did anyone accidentally find out the sex at your a/s?

I am finding out the sex, but I don't want to know at the anatomy scan.  I want the sonographer to write it down so we can look at it later.  I started wondering if I can even look at the screen?!  How obvious is it and barring the tech doesn't accidentally spill the beans, did any of you figure it out for yourselves when you didn't mean to?  Any tips for avoiding this problem?

me 33/DH 36
ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Did anyone accidentally find out the sex at your a/s?

• With DS, she had to explain it to me even with it on the screen and me looking and wanting to know. Once she oriented me to where the legs were (it was a shot like if you were sitting in a chair and someone had a camera on the floor looking up) then I could tell. But there is no way I would have accidentally figured it out without actively trying.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you don't want to know, I would not look at the screen.  I immediately (within seconds) of the ultrasound for DS say his penis.  I actually said "It's a boy" before anyone else did.  I guess you could look, but to play it safe, I wouldn't.

• Loading the player...
  • The tech told me when to look away. Just make sure you tell the tech when you go in that you don't want to know and you'd like her to write it down for you. 

After having two kids, I do know what to look for so if I don't want to know then I would definitely have to look away. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
                                ~Missed MC at 8 weeks. D&C at 12 weeks on 4/17/13~ 
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I couldn't tell with DS until I had a chance to sit and look at the photos they give you, but DH blurted out in the ultrasound "I see a PENIS!" and the tech confirmed

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • So glad you asked this. I have my AS on the 6th and we are team green. I will be so bummed if we accidently find out.... I am going to tell the tech to tell me if I need to look away. I dont think I wont be able to look as it will be our last look at the baby until 37 weeks! :(

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • There was one shot where its penis was sticking straight up, away from his body. I couldn't tell based on different angles, especially since people say they can look the same, but as soon as they moved the wand so that we saw his body from the side - hello penis-
    ~Chrissy 

• I had an ultrasound today and the tech asked me right away whether I wanted to know the sex.  She told me when to look away (when she was measuring the thigh, and when she wanted to "check something else").  However, I'm fairly certain that she used the pronoun "he" a couple times, but my husband didn't pick up on that so I'm not sure if I heard correctly or if it means anything.

• When I was pg with my DS we told the tech and she actually turned the big screen off until she had him up on the screen so she didn't accidentally start right on the privates and then when she needed to measure the leg bones and do that area, she turned the big screen off again until she was done. I'm hoping the tech this time will be the same since I would be very disappointed to find out.

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• This is my worry!  I WANT to be Team Green, but I start bi-weekly cervical length checks and then A/S soon, so we'll have at least 4-5 U/S between now and Christmas and DH and I are both really good at identifying U/S (We had a TON with the triplets...)  and especially if it's a boy, once you know where/what to look for, it's hard to miss.  But at the same time, I want to be able to look at our baby, so I plan on telling our tech each time, we don't know the sex and we don't want to know - and hopefully baby will cooperate (or not cooperate ;) )

Honestly, I'm more worried about DH looking even after the tech tells us not to.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • At my A/S with DD, the tech asked us that before we even got started. They can warn you when to look away, like PP have said. A lot of ladies say their tech will let them know ahead of time that they will be using "he" or "she" by default, regardless of the sex of the baby. 
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • with both my girls they didn't even have to say anything. It was SO obvious. But I'm not getting my hopes up with this baby. For many moms they have to go back because the LO wouldn't cooperate, or it's not so obvious so they electively get a second opinion.

image  mean_girls_35345

DD1- 2009, M/C- 2011, M/C- 2012, DD2- 2012, DD3- 2014

• With DS I could see it immediately. I would let her know and look while she is doing the measuring only.
  • I'm sure if you let them know you don't want to know, she can turn the screen or you can look away when they look between the legs. 
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • I wanted it to be a secret with my first and as soon as the machine hit my belly, there was his penis.
  • @SeattleMomma Oh wow, typical boy! :)
    March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Pregnancy Ticker
  • If you know what to look for, then it's pretty obvious, especially if it's a boy.  My husband had no clue what to look for, except for the brief explanation the tech gave us beforehand, and it was obvious to him.   But then again, we went specifically to find out.

The tech should be able to turn the screen off or tell you when to look away.
    imageDSC_9275  image

• we did exactly what you want to do my last pregnancy.  i don't know why more people don't, we wanted to go out together and have our moment instead of a stranger telling us while i'm lying on a cold table!  anyway, i couldn't tell, but you can ask them beforehand to tell you to look away at that part if you are worried :)
  • I could easily tell with this baby and my DS that they are boys. My friend could tell hers was a girl and she didn't want to know, although this is her 4th. Even if they will tell you to look away sometimes the baby will change positions quick and you get a money shot!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"