Breastfeeding
Options

Exclusive pumping

I have been exclusively pumping for my twins for just over a week now. Because of a lack of weight gain i needed to be able to measure their intake. So far I've been pumping every two hours and every three at night. I tried to talk with the lactation consultant at my pedis office but i was VERY unhappy with her. And she gave me no guidelines for pumping. I have a medela pump in style and i am making enough that i don't have to supplement until night time. So here's the question. I know others who pump exclusively and they pump every 3 hours and every 4 at night but im wondering if thats sufficient for twins? If i need to keep pumping very 2 hours i will but my boobs are very sore and bruised from all the pumping and i have an 18 month old who isn't getting much attention these days. Plus It seems like i get more if im late for a pump. So would it just even out? Btw i scheduled an appt for another lactation consultant but she's not available until later next week and im worn out with doing this for only a week.

Re: Exclusive pumping

• Options
    I pump every 3 hrs during the day and do a 4 or 4.5 hr stretch overnight. Right now I definitely have an oversupply bc I can easily pump 50oz a day in just 8 pumping sessions. So that routine works for me. I am freezing tons which should be helpful in case my supply dips when I go back to work. Anyways, I think it's really different fr each person. Some people pump diligently every 2 hrs and don't make enough for 1 baby and others make tons. I would suggest making sure you are drinking lots of water and maybe look into some of the supplements that are out there. I don't have any recommendations but I've see. Lots of posts about people taking supplements to increase supply.
  • Options
    What is power pumping?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, i already keep the suction pretty low but I've been trying to pump 6 oz at every pump every two hours and im very sore from it. I've been wondering if i should turn the suction up actually. Also. What's the difference with hospital grade? The lactation consultant -that i didnt like- said the medela pump in style would work the same the only diff is that the hospital pumps motor will not eventually burn out. Is that true?
  • Options
    @wilp power pumping is pumping for an hour, but doing ten minutes on ten minutes off. I've been doing it but it hasn't helped me much :( I've also tried Mothers Milk Tea and have been eating oatmeal everyday but nothing is noticeably helping! I am also using a hot rice bag on my chest while I pump...ahh the list goes on! But hopefully one of those things will help you!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers.
    image image image. image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"