Cloth Diapering

one more newborn question

so I have my entire stash on my registry - as of right now, none of the newborn stuff has been purchased, so it's not too late to change my mind (luckily only OS, s1 and s2 have been purchased!).

The doctors keep telling me baby is measuring big.  I had a growth scan on Monday, and the technician said baby is measuring 6lbs 4oz - not "big" but this is not gonna be a tiny kid either.  There's a good chance she'll be at least 8lbs when born (because she's not showing any signs of coming any time either).

Do I need a newborn stash, or should I just go to the small (fitteds) size 1/OS (covers)?

GMD says their small fitteds go from 9lbs and up - all the S1/OS say they fit down to 8lbs.  I'll also have infant prefolds (since they go to 16lbs) if the fitteds don't work right away.

Re: one more newborn question

• DS was average sized (7 lb 11 oz) and he needed the newborn workhorses from GMD.  They actually fit him for quite a while. The smalls would have been way too big early on.  I think it would be easier to make small prefolds fit over small workhorses.  Remember all newborns have skinny legs that make it difficult to fit big diapers.  Most OS won't fit until 10 lbs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • oh - I forgot to mention - the Bummis super bright say they go 4-9lbs - should I keep them on there, or just stick with my s1?
  • Loading the player...
  • We only got prefolds and covers at three weeks old, but at that point we were able to use the small GMD prefolds with the Bummis Super Brite smalls.  I think you can get the Bummis cover pretty small with the Aplix.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • littkek said:
    We only got prefolds and covers at three weeks old, but at that point we were able to use the small GMD prefolds with the Bummis Super Brite smalls.  I think you can get the Bummis cover pretty small with the Aplix.
    good to know.  I think I'll keep my GMD newborn, but switch my Bummis to small instead of newborn.  

Sounds like a plan :-D

I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on diapers I'm not going to use or only use for a week or so
  • Even if baby is bigger he/she may jot have the chunk to fill out OS. Keep the small stuff, and maybe some NB prefolds. You probably won't need a lot of NB stuff.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • newborns, no matter how big at birth, have super skinny legs.  you'll need some nb dipes 

my son was 6lbs 3 oz...and didn't fit OS dipes until more than 2 months old
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, keep the tiny stuff. 

Also, keep in mind that the bigger baby gets, the less accurate those weight estimates are. They had me completely convinced that G was going to be a giant based on their estimates. He was 6 lb 9 oz ;)
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• I switched the Bummis from newborn (4-9lbs) to small (8-16lbs) - since PP said the aplix can get pretty small on them. (and from what I understand the workhorses can be quite bulky, so a slightly larger cover should be OK)

I'm keeping everything else the same.

Thanks all :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"