Stay at Home Moms
Options

Q about purging toys (and about fp little people)

I am trying to sort through Logan toys before christmas and have a question about Fisher price little people. He has the barn, the zoo, the zoo train and the train with the ferris wheel on the back as well as an assortment of little people that don't match any of the above. He really isn't into them at all. They might keep his attention for 5 minutes here and there but not much more then that. Do you think I should purge them or do you think he will like them more when he is a bit older?  Or maybe injust don't have them set up in a way that invites him to pretend with him, I don't know. 

Sorting through toys is hard! He has his stuff I know he loves (like his tractors and rice table) and stuff that he might look at for a few minutes here and there. I don't know if that stuff I just need to get rid of, or keep or what. He really just has way to much stuff! I still have toys out from babyhood! Help! :)
Twins:BabyFruit TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Q about purging toys (and about fp little people)

• Options
    I'm a lurker but wanted to answer and say that I thought about getting rid of ours when DS1 was about your sons age but never got around to it and I'm glad I kept them.  He is just now getting into them (he'll be 4 in December) and can play with them all day.  I'd hold on to them a little longer if I was you.

• Options
    just wanted to let you know I have a hard time deciding what to let go and what I think he will grow back into. But we are stuffed and have another box of hand me down toys coming and the Christmas season upon us
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've had them around since DS was a baby and he never had much interest in them until recently.  He's now 4 1/2 and can entertain himself for hours with them.  He builds little cities and creates stories about what they're doing there.  Definitely keep them for a bit. 
  • Options

Can you pack them up and see if he misses them? If he does, you can pull them back out. I haven't purged any toys bc I'm saving them for the baby but when he is done with them I'm planning to do what I mentioned above

I have a toy "purgatory" box in our storage room where I put things I'm not sure about getting rid of. I open it up once in a while and get things back out, throw them out or leave them.

As for the little people/FP sets, DS still plays with his at home and at speech.

Maybe you could just put some of them away or get rid of a few so there aren't so many?

• Options
    I have tried packing them away and bringing them out on a toy roation but he didnt seem to miss them or play with them a lot when they came back out. I will pack them up again and see if he likes them in another 6 months. I find his figurines with moving arms and legs he likes a lot. He has 2 that go with his construction trucks that he plays with all the time and asks for when he losses them.

• Options
    Do you plan on having more children? My second DS seems to love all the toys that DS1 was not interested in. Now that he likes them my older DS is getting into them too. I agree that I would keep them for a few years. Imaginary play doesn't start to really hit until around 4 years old. I've noticed my older son spending a lot of time imagining with toys he barely looked at before. 

I tend to only get rid of toys if they are developmentally immature for the kids, like baby rattles etc., but I too am going to need to purge soon because our house is bursting at the seams!
  • Options
    auroraloo said:
    I think you should get rid of all your LP and send them to me. DS loves them.

If shipping to the states didnt cost so much I so would! Lol 

• Options
    Thanks everyone. I think i will pack them up and bring them out again in awhile or when i have another kid. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"