February 2014 Moms

STMs a question about water breaking

ymmayerymmayer member
edited October 2013 in February 2014 Moms
What do you do in preparation for your water breaking? Nothing? Seems weird that we just have to hang out with the imminent threat of soiling ourselves around the time of labor. I was thinking I would start wearing an adult diaper or a pad or something around that time or is that even weirder?

Re: STMs a question about water breaking

• I work with a bunch of men and was so afraid of my water breaking at work. This did not happen to me, but I really worried about it. I never thought about wearing a pad or a diaper though. I personally do not think I would like an adult diaper, but I have never tried it either. 

chaseandchristian again

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I put a towel under my side of the bed, and that worked b/c my water broke in middle of the night.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Loading the player...
  • mine was just a trickle when it broke.
  • edited October 2013
    Don't stress. It doesn't break for most people....doesn't Randomly break for most people. They tend to pop it in the hospital
  • Mine was just a trickle as well.  It was like I was peeing myself just a little (in fact, I thought that's what was happening until it didn't stop for 12 hours).

I didn't do any preparation.

• Don't stress. It doesn't break for most people....doesn't Randomly break for most people. They tend to pop it in the hospital

This.  I think fewer than 10 or 15% of women have their water break outside the hospital, and most people I know whose water broke at home, it was in bed at night.

Mine broke at the hospital right as I started pushing.  Once I was actually in labor, we just put a garbage bag on the seat of the car in case it broke on the way to the hospital.

BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Same as Avs... Well my first 2 were vag and my second 2 CS water never broke with any... Now that I have said that I'm sure I set myself up lol
  • slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited October 2013
    It's actually not that common to have the big "gush" so I never worried too much about it.  We did put a waterproof mattress cover on our bed as a just in case. Both mine were c/s and I never even went into labor so my water never broke.  

• I didn't prepare, mine was a trickle in bed.
  • AndreaG2010AndreaG2010 member
    edited October 2013
    I did nothing to prepare. I was induced at 40 w 4 days. When they broke my water it was a huge gush! Luckily it didn't break on its own at home. Out of my 8 nieces and nephews and my own DS NONE of us have had our water break on it's own, and nearly all of us went past our due dates. More often than not it is broken at the hospital.

Lilypie - (jCE1)

Lilypie - (mQ2I)

Daisypath - (hLYb)

• My water broke at 35 wks with DS and I hardly noticed it (I wasn't dilating or effacing). This time I may do a towel on my side if the bed, but I'm not really concerned about it.

My life, my love, my boys
    imageimage

DS: Liam born 8.30.10 at 35 wks (PPROM, Pre-E, C-Section)

DD: BFP 6.9.13, EDD 2.12.14, A/S 9.20.13... It's a Girl!

Adeline Leigh born sleeping 2.11.14 at 39 wks 6 days

How very softly you tiptoed into our world, almost silently, only a moment you stayed. But what an imprint your footsteps have left upon our hearts. - Dorothy Ferguson

• This baby makes #4 for me and with my 3 boys I had to have my water broken at the hospital. If it makes you more comfortable I would wear a pad during the day and lay on a towel at night :) Keep a spare towel in your car for the seat just in case :)

DS 7  <3  DS 5  <3   DS 2          and introducing..........

Pregnancy Ticker

• I was terrified of my water breaking since I was a 5th grade teacher.  I didn't think my water had broken but when I was in labor, they said it had.  I guess it was a slow trickle... so slow that it only happened when I peed, lol!  I honestly still don't know how that was possible.
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• We had just bought a new mattress so I put one of those changing pad protectors under my side of the mattress protector because I was paranoid that I was going to ruin it. Of course I was induced at 41 weeks, they broke my water, and then I had an emergency C anyway so there was no need to worry!

My Blog (that is not really about eating in the shower)
  • I only protected our mattress because I didn't want to void our warranty, but it didn't matter because my water never broke.
    DD1: May 2011
    DD2: February 2014

• I will put chux pads on my bed and seat of my car. I have seen what amniotic fluid does to car interior. It's a risk im not willing to take.
  • Last time, mine was just a drip like heavy discharge (I honestly thought that's what it was), so it wasn't a big deal---a pantyliner lasted at least 6 hours.  I know it can be different for everyone, though, so as my due date gets closer, I'll be bringing a towel or puppy pads or SOMETHING to sit on at work and in the car, just in case.

• My water broke with my first...and it was "Hollywood style". It sounded like a gallon of water was dumped on my tile floor (I was home). I had no prior warning....no contractions or anything. Just felt a little pinch and then it poured out.
    I'm still not really that worried about it happening in public, and if it does....eh. What can you do?
  • No need to walk around with diapers / pads on. You could always keep a couple of large pads in your purse in case. With my son it broke when I went to the washroom, so that was nice and easy. With my daughter, it didn't, they have to break it when they induced me.

The only real precaution I take it to put a waterproof mattress pad on the mattress around 35 weeks, just in case.
  • We put a waterproof cover over our mattress JIC, and actually it was a good idea for BM leakage when that was going on, moreso than pre-baby issues.

I did keep a towel in my car too, but it wasn't something I was overly worried about. It's rare actually for the water breaking to happen before labor.

imageimage
  • fullfhopefullfhope member
    edited October 2013
    I'm lurking from Feb 13 (I like to remember where I was one year ago!). I was one of the ones whose water DID break at home and it pretty much was a big gush! Gross. I felt a pop and just knew, I made it to the bathroom for the first gush, but after that every time I moved there was more gushing-getting out of the cab, waiting to check in and for the elevator,...over and over, it was gross! I can laugh now, but it was not funny then! That being said, I don't know how I could have possibly prepared. I would not have thought to wear diapers. Again, now I laugh about it. ;) there were a lot of fluids happening then, and I stopped caring at some point! Edit to add: once water did break I wore large pads for trip to hospital, good, but soaked through two(worn together) very quickly. So...if it happens it happens :) and so what you are having a baby!
    Me 37 DH 40 TTC since 1/11 DOR AMH .34 DH S/A Great BFP 12/11! MC 1/12 IUI #1 2/12 BFN. IUI #2 3/12 BFN. IUI #3 4/12 BFN IVF #1 5/12 BFP! DD 2/13/12
  • Oh don't even worry about it. It likely won't break until you are already in labor. And even if it does break before labour starts, you won't care where or how:)

Mine broke about an hour before labor started, I was cleaning my house and I had to run for the bath tub so that it wouldn't get on my freshly cleaned floor lol
  • Mine broke at 35w with my twins. It was 1am and I woke up to a gush, I thought I peed myself. I went to the bathroom and it just kept gushing. I put a towel between my legs and the seat of my car. When I got to the hospital and got the gown on I had a gush with every step. I tried cleaning up and my nurse laughed and told me to get my butt in bed, she would take care of it. I felt awful...it was a lot to clean up!
  • Mine broke in the middle of the night with a big gush. I had adult diapers on hand and wore one to the hospital. Glad I did, because every time I went from standing to sitting or vice versa, more gushed out.

PS: you can use the adult diapers for post partum bleeding as well.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• With my daughter , my water broke in its own. However I was already at the hospital and had been in labor for over 12 hrs (26 total hrs btw). It came as one big gush and it kept trickling little by little after that. With my son, they had to beak at the hospital. A little worried how this one is gonna turn out. But I guess I'll just go with the flow!
    ;)
  • My water had to be broken in my induction with my son, but I was paranoid that it would happen and make a mess.  I put a waterproof mattress pad on my side of the bed when I got close to my due date and I kept a spare change of clothes in my car in case it happened at work.  I think I jinxed myself into not going into labor though!
  • In my 3 previous deliveries I had my waters broken right before pushing. I never did any prep before hand. I think depends would be a bit much, but a waterproof bedsheet would be fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Most of the time water breaking is leaky rather than explosive. Hollywood likes to dramatize things. On the likely chance your water did break in public or at work then well you probably will be the only one to notice. 

I will say for me your water is surprisingly hot! My first it broke and came out in spurts, like a throbbing vein being cut. My second had to be broke and it came out in spurts. This one who knows, but I am not worried and I think a diaper is silly.

BUT if you do the depends silhouette are amazeballs! You really can barely feel them and they are not noticeable under clothing.  I know this because I was part of the trial when they were coming out a few years ago. I had to wear them all the time for 2 weeks.(I did not pee in them!)

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

• I had an issue with my bladder with DD1 so I always had a pad on anyway. I didn't prepare any other way. If anything, just throw a towel or one of those absorbent puppy pads on underneath the sheets of your bed. Mine broke while I was in bed sleeping. Like others said, it was a trickle at first. Then I had to walk around, shuffling a towel underneath me with my feet because it got to be more than a trickle!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker CafeMom Tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Mine broke while I was in labor just before it was time to start pushing. I let it break on its own rather than have the doc do it because my labor was progressing really quickly.
  • Don't stress. It doesn't break for most people....doesn't Randomly break for most people. They tend to pop it in the hospital

This. The majority really don't have theirs break. We always have at least one pregnanct girl at work and no one has ever had their water break at the office or at home. My friend just texted me last night that she was in the hospital having her baby and this morning told me they had to break her water a couple hours ago.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I put a towel in my bed, couch, and car. It broke on the couch. The towel was helpful.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
  • Yup...not super common and even if it does happen, often not a big gush like others have said.  I'm another one who had my water broken at the hospital after I was already in labor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"