February 2014 Moms
Options

Happy Birthing Stories

I'm trying to keep my fears and anxieties in check about the birth so that it can be a relaxed, positive experience. Any STM's want to share their happy, positive, stories on here?

Re: Happy Birthing Stories

• Options
    I have had 5 great positive experiences....there are way more normal happy non eventful births .... They are boring so no one talks a out them. Don't stress :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for sharing! It's great to hear. We're taking hypnobirthing classes as well and it definitely helps me feel more grounded. 
  • Options
    I won't discuss my labor. Nothing too crazy just really long. But delivering my son was the most amazing experience ever! I only pushed for 12 minutes and had no tearing. If I could deliver every day I would! It sounds weird but it is just such an amazing time. I can't wait to do it again! Just get an epidural and you will enjoy all of it!!!
  • Options

DD story:

Went in for regular dr appt on a Wednesday morning, Dr. said I was 0% effaced, 0 dilated and that there is no way I would be having the baby anytime soon.. Fast forward to that night at 11:45pm and my water broke, in bed, full on hollywood water gush. Headed to L&D and recieved the epidural at 6cm around 2:30am, took a 3 hr nap :) and woke up to a lot of pressure. I could feel the pressure of the contractions so I was able to know when to push. DD was born at 5:43am. :)

DS story:

Went in for regular dr appt on a Thursday morning, Dr. said I was 0% effaced, 0 dilated and that there was no way I would be having the baby anytime soon :) heard that one before. Fast forward to that night and my water broke at 12:30am, once again in bed, full on hollywood water gush. Headed to L&D and received epidural at 5cm, took a short nap. Woke up to pressure and DS was born at 5:43 am. :)

I have  had the same OB for all 3 of my pregnancies now, he promised not to say anything about not going any time soon with this pregnancy. I told him that I would gladly accept him saying that anytime after 39 weeks :) lol. Both nights it was a full moon as well. I am hoping for another quick/swift labor this time. I had back labor with both too.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    tenfourtenfour member
    edited October 2013
    Great idea for a post. I think overall I consider mine a good experience. I had about 48 hours of labor that I thought was labor but wasn't actually progressing which was hard, but in retrospect not a big deal at all. When I couldn't take it anymore they gave me morphine and I went home and slept and then my body kicked into gear and by the time the morphine wore off (end of the second day) I was in real labor and went to the hospital, got my epi, and laid around gossiping with my mom and husband for the next 8 hours. At some point they checked me and I was 10 cm, the nurse told me to push and then 3 hours later (ok that wasn't THAT fun, but again, nbd) there she was!

Also - and my husband might disagree with my memory, but I kind of felt happy the whole time. Like finally after all this waiting I could finally do something. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a beautiful, med-free and intervention-free birth with #2. It was exactly how I wanted it.
    The good thing about labor, is that even if it is not what you had always dreamed of, once you hold your baby....it's all forgotten and everything is perfect in your world :)
  • Options
    Check out Birth Without Fear.... You will find some beautiful birth stories there:)
  • Options
    My birth with DS was totally textbook. I had an epi, and aside from not feeling like a very effective pusher, he was out in 45 minutes. I didn't tear or have any complications to speak of. Breast feeding him was also a breeze.

I'm psyching myself up that this one will be just as good.

Ethan Michael - 12/21/09
    Norah Jewel - 2/26/14

• Options
    slwprincessslwprincess member
    edited October 2013
    I will share both of mine.  Fair warning that the first one might be considered "scary" to some so skip it if you only want Puppies and Rainbows.  But because I wasn't tied to a hardcore birth plan, I was able to embrace what happened and find my silver lining.  I want to stress that more than anything else... YOU need to be flexible.  If not, you will inevitably have regrets that things didn't go according to your idea of a perfect birth.  I still consider it a Happy Birth Story even though it was scary.  

#1- I went in for my 37 week appt.  Expected a quick check and I was headed to interview a pediatrician.  Doc put the doppler on my belly and immediately I knew something was wrong.  Heart rate was WAY too slow.  She repositioned and tried again.  Same.  Asked if I'd felt movement... yes, although not as much as I'd like.  She asked if anyone was with me.  No.  She said, ok be right back.  She walked out and then came back in holding her keys/purse and said she would drive me to the hospital herself.  Hello panic!  I don't even remember the drive across the street to the hospital.  Just remember her putting me in a wheelchair and telling the orderly to take me straight to L&D.  They hooked me up to the monitors and found the heartbeat right away... nice and strong like normal.  Whew.  Doc wanted them to monitor me for a couple hours before I went home.  After those hours, she asked again about movement.  He really wasn't moving enough and I knew it.  Since I was full term and she "doesn't take chances" she said it was time to get him out.  Gave me the choice of induction or c/s and I asked point blank do you think I will end up w/ a c/s and she said "yes."  Best decision I ever made.  C/S was super quick (30 min) and DS seemed fine, although I found out later there was meconium in the fluid which had caused the reduced heart rate/fetal movement.  He was definitely in distress in there and an induction would have been BAD.  It wasn't until I tried to BF that the nurse noticed he was grunting and not eating.  She listened to his chest and then asked me if she could take him to the NICU just for them to check his lungs.  I sent DH with them.  Turns out, the meconium had caused him to collapse a lung.  I didn't see him again until late the next day- he was in an oxygen tent.  Somehow, even though I was scared to death, I had complete peace.  I just knew he was in the best hands and everything was going to be ok.  After 2 days he was out of the tent and they let me nurse him.  The next day he was mostly on room air.  They discharged me after 4 days- he stayed 1 more night and we got to "room in" in the NICU (best idea ever!).  

OK so here's the silver lining of having a NICU baby... 1.  You heal so much faster!  My c/s recovery was a breeze b/c I had no choice but to rest in the hospital!  2.  Lots of extra freebies.  We got all the regular free stuff like diapers/wipes in our room but then when he left the NICU, they LOADED US UP.  Diapers, wipes, formula, thermometers, nose suckers, pacis, mittens, hats, swaddlers, extra breast pump parts, etc.  It was crazy how much loot we got there.  3.  More one on one time with the LCs.  They spent an hour or more with us everyday in the NICU and identified that he was tongue tied so we got that resolved early on before it caused latch issues.  4.  The NICU nurses teach you way more about newborns than regular L&D nurses.  They showed us how to do baths, clip nails, burp, etc.  5.  Since I missed my appointment with the pediatrician, we just used the on call pedi and he's AWESOME.  Since he was there at the beginning, he knew DSs whole history which really put my FTM mind at ease.

#2.  Scheduled c/s.  OMG so crazy easy.  Get there at 5 am.  Pre-op.  Spinal.  C/S took a little longer b/c of scar tissue (maybe 40 min?).  Post Op.  LC was waiting in recovery and baby was nursing within 20 min of birth.  Wheel me up to recovery.  I was up walking around 6 hrs later.  Moral of the story here is just b/c you have 1 less than ideal labor/birth does not mean the next one will be the same.  

• Options
    I like these stories. Keep em' coming, STMs!!!

Thanks. :)

• Options
    I went to the hospital, had a c/s, my baby came out breathing perfect, looking perfect, had all his finger and toes, his apgar was 10. 

Happy birth story! :)

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"