cristykayecristykaye member
    edited October 2013

supgabs said:

supgabs said:

shiggybop said:

supgabs said:

shiggybop said:

supgabs said:

I don't plan on vaccinating my child. If I do it will be minimal. 

I don't care about Halloween either...especially if I can't go out to the bar lol. 
    I hope you change your mind. Not vaccinating is a really bad choice for not only your child but also for the welfare of all the children that come into contact with yours. What is your reasoning @supgabs ?

If vaccinations work so well why would vaccinated children be at risk from coming into contact with mine? 
    My reasoning is I am not interested in injecting my children with aluminum, thimerosal, mercury, etc etc
    Uh so you're interested in polio, mumps and rubella that have been scientifically proven to be dangerous/deadly instead of vaccines which are much safer than catching these diseases? Solid logic. And vaccines are not 100% effective, but I'll take 85% over 0%. Science yo

Polio has been pretty much eradicated in the US.  I may or may not give my child the MMR vaccine. I have not decided on that one yet. 
    Polio has only been eradicated because of vaccines.

So...why should I have to vaccinate against something that has been eradicated? 

Because its NOT totally eradicated. It's not like the disease just stopped existing. It just was not being caught. Only now it and other "eradicated" diseases are making a huge comeback thanks to people not vaccinating their kids. The rates are on the RISE now.

ETA: read pintos comment. I don't have kids and don't know what vaccines are being used so my comment is just for the diseases that are out there. Maybe not polio but other ones are still definitely on the rise

Exactly. Plus other countries don't always have the same vaccines we do. What is some kid comes here from somewhere else and your kid gets sick because he was not vaxed and neither was yours!!! Better chance for your baby if they are vaccinated!

*BFP- Sept 2013*

*Ryder due June 1,2014*

BabyFetus Ticker

*Love of my Life*

image image

<3<3<3<3

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I'd rather have had the chicken pox vaccine than the risk I have of getting shingles.

Huh? Umm, you can get shingles after chicken pox or after the vaccine. Either way the virus lives in your body.

::Facepalm::
    Yeah but I think your likelihood is less if youve had the vaccine. At least, that's what I've heard.
    Your risk drops from 1/3 to 1/6. And how long has the vaccine been around? Not that long. And your risk of shingles increases sharply as you age, especially as a elderly person. How many elderly people do you think have had the vaccine and didn't have chicken pox as a child? Not many. Those statistics are preliminary and will change over the next several decades.

I'm exiting because I'm getting stabby. Know what you're talking about if you're going to debate, people.
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I am 100% fully vaccinating my child. Does this mean I may choose to delay a little bit and not have so many shots in one visit? Maybe. I need to discuss with the pediatrician when I choose one. I don't think vaccines have to be all or nothing in terms of having kids get five shots in a visit. If you want to pay the copay again and take them back in a month I think that's your right too. But to not vaccinate at all and have your child contract rubella or pertussis or measles.... No way. My UO: I hate olives. Green olives, black olives, ALL olives. when my fruit for this week showed a big fat olive I almost threw up. Sorry, I know food ones aren't that exciting, but I felt I needed to vent about it because people keep trying to get me to eat them. Gross.
    OMG me too! Seriously, I almost wont eat food that has touched an olive. Yuck. 
  • Options

I do somewhat agree that is scary to think of all of the chemicals in the vaccinations, especially put into such a small body. I am a big fan of using more natural products when possible, eating organic produce and meats, etc. However, I do agree that with most vaccinations, the benefits far outweigh the risks. I don't think I would ever forgive myself if I chose not to give my child a certain vaccination, and then he or she contracted the illness and got seriously ill, or worse. Vaccinations, although chemically potent, are a great thing that can keep children healthy.

I think where I have the most problem with medications is when I see parents taking their kids for antibiotics every time they sneeze or have a slight sniffle. Obviously, you draw the line somewhere as you don't want your child to contract pneumonia or something terrible if illness persists, but at some point, their immune systems have to be allowed to develop, and that means they will probably get a sick a few times. I think antibiotics should be saved for more severe situations because I know a ton of people who have developed immunity to antibiotics. A few of those people have been in serious accidents, requiring substantial antibiotics and have had a lot of complications because their body doesn't respond whatsoever. A little off the topic of vaccinations, but I guess that may be considered an UO to some.

February Siggy Challenge - Picture of You and DH. Us with our engagement pumpkins. DH carved each word of "Will You Marry Me" and the date 10/11/12 into five dfferent pumpkins.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Just popping in :)

I will def be vaccinating my baby and my kids have had all vaccines. The only thing I don't have my kids vaccinated for is the flu, and it's only hit us once in the past 4 years so I'm fairly confident with decision.

That is all.
  • Options
    rainbowdashhrainbowdashh member
    edited October 2013
    The good ol' vaccine debate. I love how people jump to "lazy" parenting in regards to those who choose not to. My aunt was an RN. A very intelligent, well informed woman. She vaccinated 2 children and then didn't vaccinate her younger 2 children. I would never call her lazy or say that she didn't make informed choices. That's just ridiculous.

I selectively vaccinate. Rotavirus? No. Chicken pox? No. Hep B at 3 hours old? No. But I do think it's important to have the majority of them.

My UO- I LOVE going to airports. Everyone I know thinks I'm insane.

Edited for spelling.
  • Options
    @kellyjayne. I'm totally in agreement with you on the antibiotics. I'm lucky to have had a pediatrician that feels the same way. I can prob count on one hand how many times my youngest has been on antibiotics in his almost 15 years of existence and he's sick a lot. Also my pediatrician has always told me no fever reducer until temps over 101 unless they feel bad because fever is your bodies way to fight off the illness.
    Fucking bump!!!!
  • Options
    flerlgirl said:

The good ol' vaccine debate. I love how people jump to "lazy" parenting in regards to those who choose not to. My aunt was an RN. A very intelligent, well informed woman. She vaccinated 2 children and then didn't vaccinate her younger 2 children. I would never call her lazy or say that she didn't make informed choices. That's just ridiculous.

I selectively vaccinate. Rotavirus? No. Chicken pox? No. Hep B at 3 hours old? No. But I do think it's important to have the majority of them.

My UO- I LOVE going to airports. Everyone I know things I'm insane.

I assume you mean me since I made the lazy comment... honestly, with all of the info out there, all the excuses people make for not vaxing are flimsy at best. So I can only assume you just don't want to vaccinate. Maybe lazy wasn't the right word. But it frustrates me to hear of people choosing not to vax. My kid gets RSV vaccinations because RSV will kill him if he gets it. I know we're the exception and not the rule, but it bothers me that another parent has decided their bad information is worth more than my child's health. 

I guess the way I think about it is that every parent is going to do something different. Every parent values their child more than another. If they believe what they're doing is best for their child, then it doesn't matter. The only thing I can do is make the best choices for my child and hope for the best. There are tons of decisions that others can make that could harm my child. I can't control everything as much as I would like to. I hope that makes sense. I am sympathetic to both sides.

• Options
    lalala8 said:
    Just curious for those who don't give your children immunization's how do they get in school? My kids school that's a requirement. I don't know anyone that doesn't vaccinate.
    I've heard of people that fake a religious exemption...

This is true. I worked in schools for several years and parents definitely fake religious exemption. We do a delayed schedule and skipped HBV until DS went to preschool.

TTC #1 4/09-3/10, dx PCOS, 5th round clomid BFP 3/27/10, Nolan Lee, 11/13/10, PROM 36 weeks
    TTC #2 6/12-3/13, natural BFP 3/24/13, TWINS
    MC first twin at 11weeks, MC/preterm labor second twin, DD at 15weeks, 6/7/13
    BFP 9/21/13, EDD 6/5/13!!  It's a GIRL

SHE'S HERE!  Scarlett Christine, 5/19/14

• Options
    shiggybop said:
    I think most people dress their babies too warm. It was 70 yesterday and I saw toddlers out in giant poofy jackets with red faces.
    Gah I wish I saw that around here! I've been in a winter coat and gloves for a couple weeks now and saw a mom with a little one not even wearing a coat the other day. 

• Options
    My UP: I think students should be allowed to drop out of school before 16. Yes, they are dumb kids and dont know what they are doing. But if we allowed it by saying "okay, school doesn't work? Go into this mentorship program" perhaps we can get them them the skills they need to be gainfully employed.

To be coupled with that, I think we could allow for easier re-engagement - up to a much later age then 18/19 - for students that mature and want to return to school. 

Would this program look like what we have now? Absolutely not. And I dont think its the only answer/change that needs to be put into place. But what we have now isn't working. I would love to take the stress out of school for those who have no interest and ruin it for others/ruin their personal expectations. I would also love to give many more the chance to earn their diplomas when they decide its best for them.
  • Options

I think less people should go to conventional four year universities and more people should wait a few years before going to college. I will encourage my kid to look into all options including trade schools. When I was graduating high school there was pretty much one advertised option for everyone: go to 4 year university. Now I know a lot of people with tons of student debt, an unemployable major, and no job looking into going back to school for more loans! Going to university is such a priviledge that all parents (understandably) wanted their kids to have, they just couldn't have forseen what would happen after the 4 years was up.

Another UO (hear me out): My mother in law is against getting mammograms, and has become certified in thermography. Thermography is radiation free and it is a full body thermal scan and studies have shown that it could detect tumors sooner than mammography. I know verrry little about it and am not clinical at all....just wanted to put it out there for everyone to research for themselves if they're interested.

• Options

I think less people should go to conventional four year universities and more people should wait a few years before going to college. I will encourage my kid to look into all options including trade schools. When I was graduating high school there was pretty much one advertised option for everyone: go to 4 year university. Now I know a lot of people with tons of student debt, an unemployable major, and no job looking into going back to school for more loans! Going to university is such a priviledge that all parents (understandably) wanted their kids to have, they just couldn't have forseen what would happen after the 4 years was up.

Another UO (hear me out): My mother in law is against getting mammograms, and has become certified in thermography. Thermography is radiation free and it is a full body thermal scan and studies have shown that it could detect tumors sooner than mammography. I know verrry little about it and am not clinical at all....just wanted to put it out there for everyone to research for themselves if they're interested.

Forgive me if I'm reading this wrong, but how is that an UO? Wouldn't it be more of an FYI type thing? 
  • Options
    @JNerd The opinion being that mammograms could be harmful, think twice before getting one, and there may be a better solution
  • Options
    @JNerd The opinion being that mammograms could be harmful, think twice before getting one, and there may be a better solution
    Gotcha. That didn't come across clearly. Thanks for the clarification. 
  • Options

I agree with this. I wish I did not go directly to college, I would have saved myself a lot of time and money. That being said, watch out for trade schools. A lot of the are for profit, and the cost does not equate the salary you will make. No matter what the decision is, one must really do the research on any school they attend.

Also, most community colleges offer the same certificates and programs as trade schools. For instance, you can study any trade at one of the two local community colleges around here. They have an agreement that if you study a major that isn't offered at your local, you get in county tuition at the other (for instance, ours doesn't offer undertaking, but we offer mechanics). For those with an EFC of $0, you can attend for free including books. Even if you get no financial aid, it is less then $7000/year. And you still earn your associates degree on top of the certificate, making you more competitive than those who just have the certs.
  • Options

Also, most community colleges offer the same certificates and programs as trade schools. For instance, you can study any trade at one of the two local community colleges around here. They have an agreement that if you study a major that isn't offered at your local, you get in county tuition at the other (for instance, ours doesn't offer undertaking, but we offer mechanics). For those with an EFC of $0, you can attend for free including books. Even if you get no financial aid, it is less then $7000/year. And you still earn your associates degree on top of the certificate, making you more competitive than those who just have the certs.
    I totally agree with this. My husband completed his associates in business and went through a certification program for renewable energy construction/generation, specifically wind and power. He paid way less than I did for a traditional 4 year education, and makes more money than I do as a CPA. I think it is great to look into alternative programs and agree that 4 year university is not for everyone and sometimes overrated.
    February Siggy Challenge - Picture of You and DH. Us with our engagement pumpkins. DH carved each word of "Will You Marry Me" and the date 10/11/12 into five dfferent pumpkins.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

@kellyjayne @kittenslove Agree with you both! And I'm a CPA also.

B-)
  • Options
    Give my kid all the shots!! I sure was glad she had them when a boy in our playgroup caught the measles.

Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I agree with this.  There are a lot of decent careers that do not require a 4-year degree that more people should look into first.  

Also, I think so many kids don't understand the importance of work experience.  My BIL seriously thought that once he graduated with a generic 4-year degree, that he was entitled to a job making $60K+ without a single day of work history.  He graduated 4 years ago and still doesn't have a job....
  • Options
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-orin-levine/the-comeback-killers_b_860704.html

Not that I think it will change anyone's opinion on vaccines... but this is why I will be vaccinating my children.

That is all.

Oh, and I hate Reese's peanut butter cups.  I like the Reese's pieces, but not the peanut butter cups.  Why do I think this will bring me more hate than the vaccines? 
  • Options
    Pepper6 said:

Susan G Komen, for example, spends a ridiculous amount on litigation suing people for using "For the Cure".  I think only something like 10% of their donations actually goes towards breast cancer research.

This blows my mind. What a silly thing to sue for!

• Options
    edited October 2013
    SNLT1012 said:
    My UO- I think it's stupid when adults dress up for Halloween. I've been giving dirty looks to every person in my office that dressed up today.
    I would edit it to say stupid costumes. I don't have a problem with something that looks cool but I have a coworker today that is wearing tights and a homemade tutu that looks like the ones my 2 yr old son's classmates wear. You are a grown woman for goodness sake! lol
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options
    dmizak said:
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-orin-levine/the-comeback-killers_b_860704.html

Not that I think it will change anyone's opinion on vaccines... but this is why I will be vaccinating my children.

That is all.

Oh, and I hate Reese's peanut butter cups.  I like the Reese's pieces, but not the peanut butter cups.  Why do I think this will bring me more hate than the vaccines? 

LOL, peanut butter cups are literally the only chocolate candy I like (except for Take 5 bars, but those are sooo hard to find).  I hate chocolate, so it has to be the lesser flavor and has to be overpowered by something more salty.

• Options

Yes, I would like to add....a big thank you for allowing your kid to get Chicken pox and exposing me. You see...you may come in contact with someone who has already had shingles once (lucky 22 year old when I got them) so I am now at an even higher risk of getting them again. I was out for three weeks. THREE weeks. The pain was excruciating, there were days I couldn't get out of bed...the joint pain was that bad. we didn't catch them in time for me to take medicine. So yes...thank you for not getting your child that silly little vaccine and exposing me to it. I appreciate it.

I strongly suggest finding a pediatrician and sitting down and talking to them.

This is not how it works at all. 

If you have already had chicken pox, you don't get shingles by coming into contact with someone who has chicken pox.  In fact when you come into contact with someone with chicken pox it actually asymptomatically boosts your immunity against shingles.  The leading cause for the huge outbreak of shingles in the US is because people are vaccinating their children for chicken pox, less kids walking around with chicken pox means less immunity boosting for those of us that have already had it = higher likelihood for shingles.

I am pro-vax (delayed, but pro).  However DD will not be getting the chicken pox vaccine.

BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I dislike the United Way.  My work has decided to do a big fundraising push with them and events are mandatory.  I really don't appreciate the amount of overheard that they incur or the fact that I'm essentially being forced to support them.  I would rather support the front line agencies than be mandated to one that spends an inordinate amount dispersing $ to front line agencies.

ETA clarity
    I agree that the overhead can be crazy but I did work for them a looong time ago and I really learned there are a lot of local charities that they support that just don't have the resources to put into their own fundraising. Without the money from the united way they wouldn't be able to get the word out get those donations directly themselves. Everyone loves to give to the popular charities but there are a ton doing good you never hear about.
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Options
    MommyP710 said:
    My UO is that I think a lot of the "trendy" names people name their kids are stupid.  What happened to the good old classics?  And do they really think about the consequences of what their kid will have to deal with when they are older? 
    AGREE!!! 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  • Options
    MrsAMB07 said:
    supgabs said:
    shiggybop said:
    I don't plan on vaccinating my child. If I do it will be minimal. 

I don't care about Halloween either...especially if I can't go out to the bar lol. 
    I hope you change your mind. Not vaccinating is a really bad choice for not only your child but also for the welfare of all the children that come into contact with yours. What is your reasoning @supgabs ?
    If vaccinations work so well why would vaccinated children be at risk from coming into contact with mine? 
    My reasoning is I am not interested in injecting my children with aluminum, thimerosal, mercury, etc etc
    I hope a less than 2 month old baby, who isn't old enough for the vax yet, doesn't come in contact with your child who has whooping cough. Not a huge deal for your child, but deadly for the baby. This happened to a friend of mine a few years ago and it was devastating. It's just one of a bunch of diseases on the rise again from people not vaccinating their kids. It's your choice, your kid, but think of the effects it can have on other's children, as well.

Right before I had DS2 there was a huge outbreak of whooping cough and a 7 week old little boy died. I followed his story on the news and Facebook. It was heartbreaking! :( Until then I had no idea that those things happened. I was a wreck/crazy germ lady when DS2 was born. We didn't leave the house for six weeks. 
    "Always remember there was nothing worth sharing like the love that let us share our name"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dmizak said:

That is all.

Now THAT is just blasphemy!! ;)

• Options
    Pepper6 said:
    MommyP710 said:
    My UO is that I think a lot of the "trendy" names people name their kids are stupid.  What happened to the good old classics?  And do they really think about the consequences of what their kid will have to deal with when they are older? 
    I think 'uneek' spellings are stupid too.  They don't look cute, they look illiterate.

Seriously...sucks for those kids whenever they want to buy something that has names on it because they'll never find theirs!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"