December 2013 Moms

UO

It's 6:44 am on the east coast; let's get those unpopular opinions started early today.
Lilypie - (V9Ze)

Re: UO

• I haven't even had coffee yet to have the ability to form an opinion on anything. Not even what to wear today.
  • I secretly love Halloween, but pretend not to because DH couldn't care less about it. He's also a workaholic, so we've never made it to a costume party in the five years we've been together and it kind of gives me the sads.

My besties had a party last night, they all live in close proximity to one another in Brooklyn. I found myself being horribly jealous. I tamed those feelings with late night English muffin pizzas.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • Loading the player...
  • I haven't even had coffee yet to have the ability to form an opinion on anything. Not even what to wear today.

I've been laying here wide awake since 4:55 am. It's given me time to form a TON of opinions such as: "Everyone should have to be awake right now" and "Elbowing DH in the back when he grinds his teeth is an acceptable response."
    I'm sorry you've been awake that long. :( I have to agree with the elbowing DH in the face. I'm notorious for this when my DH snores and I can't sleep.
  • Halloween sucks everywhere else but Anoka, MN. I grew up in Anoka "The Halloween Capital of the World" and the entire town has festivities the entire month of October. This past weekend I was home and realized how much I miss all the October activities and decorating of the town.:( I now live in the middle of nowhere where they have special trick or treating times and a curfew. Dumb! These poor Iowa kids don't know what a true Halloween is like.
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • ColeRose said:

I don't understand people who have 100+ Facebook friends. How do you keep up with everyone? Don't you miss updates and photos from your close friends? Isn't your news feed clogged? I have 90 friends and they are people I really want to stay in touch with. When people have over 500 friends I know they add everyone they meet.

Whomp whomp to me...I have over 500 friends and I don't add everyone I meet and I clear out my friends list a few times a year. I grew up in the kind of town where we all like to keep in touch so I have a ton of hs people on there, college people from the states and when I studied abroad, grad school people, and work people from a few different jobs, DH's friends which are now my friends after 8 years and of course my family. Gurl it adds up!
    How do you not miss updates from your closest friends and family? I actually curious. This is why I don't add more people.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ColeRose said:

I don't understand people who have 100+ Facebook friends. How do you keep up with everyone? Don't you miss updates and photos from your close friends? Isn't your news feed clogged? I have 90 friends and they are people I really want to stay in touch with. When people have over 500 friends I know they add everyone they meet.

Whomp whomp to me...I have over 500 friends and I don't add everyone I meet and I clear out my friends list a few times a year. I grew up in the kind of town where we all like to keep in touch so I have a ton of hs people on there, college people from the states and when I studied abroad, grad school people, and work people from a few different jobs, DH's friends which are now my friends after 8 years and of course my family. Gurl it adds up!
    How do you not miss updates from your closest friends and family? I actually curious. This is why I don't add more people.

I have my absolute best friends marked as "close friends" so everything they post sends me a notification.

We also have a secret group set up on FB where we post only for each other.
    Ill have to check that out. Thanks

• MrsP821 said:

Mine is Halloween related. I don't understand why parents won't let their children celebrate Halloween. I met a woman not long ago and she said her kids will never dress up for Halloween to go door to door asking for food. Nor will they celebrate evil spirits. It's free candy for crying out loud!!

That makes me sad.

• MrsP821 said:

Mine is Halloween related. I don't understand why parents won't let their children celebrate Halloween. I met a woman not long ago and she said her kids will never dress up for Halloween to go door to door asking for food. Nor will they celebrate evil spirits. It's free candy for crying out loud!!

It's the Devils Holiday, don't you know?! And Candy is EVIL! Hahahahaha.
    Personally I am totally okay with celebrating all te evil, because I get to steel my kids candy. ;)
  • edited October 2013
    I hate Facebook, period. I only use it for my business. If something important happens, I call, send emails or texts. If someone needs to see something on my fb feed to get any type of news from me then they're obviously not someone I'm close to.

And I do not pass out candy for Halloween. I'm usually working anyway, but even when I'm not I just turn my light off and barely anyone comes. Though I can't wait to dress LO up next year!
  • MrsP821 said:

I have a friend like this. I gave her cute Halloween wine glass charms as a hostess gift for my baby shower a she called me a satan worshiper. I'm not sure if she was joking or not so I didn't respond.... I have known her for a good 3 years now and had no idea. She's pretty religious.
    Pregnancy Ticker image image
  • @Eggerkr said:

MrsP821 said:

I have a friend like this. I gave her cute Halloween wine glass charms as a hostess gift for my baby shower a she called me a satan worshiper. I'm not sure if she was joking or not so I didn't respond.... I have known her for a good 3 years now and had no idea. She's pretty religious.
    W.O.W.
    Lilypie - (V9Ze)
  • We don't really celebrate Halloween either. My MIL did buy the kids' costumes, the boys will be pirates and the girl will be a candy corn princess. Her rule was nothing scary or evil. We will take the kids to the church to do trunk or treat, and normally that would be the end of it, but since I grew up going door to door I convinced DH to at least give it a chance in a nice neighborhood. I told him it's not like I'm going in someone's house and calling up the dead, I'm just letting my children get some candy (that DH won't let them eat anyway, but I digress).
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I hate Halloween. It just gets in the way of the real holidays and what is up with it lasting so damn long now? It's one day! I think my hatred of it has rubbed off on DD and that's OK with me. She's not a huge Halloween person either. Did I mention we live in fucking Halloween town? People are more decorated for it than at Christmas time. And that's saying something, since our little 'hood of a couple hundred houses does the whole small tree with white lights in the front yard thing at Christmas.
  • I also dislike Halloween...think it could have something to do with having all my childhood bday parties as Halloween parties since my bday is this weekend. I just hate the whole dressing up bit.

I'll feign excitement for the kiddos tho.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @sunshine5788 I'm picturing a little boy dressed as a bunch of grapes sitting on a curb being sad. :(

I'm picturing the kid version of a fruit of the looms commercial...
  • bwade007 said:
    @sunshine5788 I'm picturing a little boy dressed as a bunch of grapes sitting on a curb being sad. :(
    I'm picturing the kid version of a fruit of the looms commercial...
    So so sad! Halloween is one of the best days of the year as a kid!

Mom+Dad+Josie+May 2015=2 under 2!!!!  

• Another Halloween one- I'm obsessed with black cats. I love them and I always try to rescue them and find them homes. I want to hurt the people that do mean things to black cats.. -yes it really happens, while driving I had one thrown out of a car window underneath my car a few years ago..

I am with you on this! Our furbaby is a little black cat. He picked us when we went to the shelter by climbing into my purse. When the volunteer said black cats are the hardest to adopt, my heart broke. We took him home an hour later.
    I have two, and my mom has one.. The one that was thrown under my car. I actually didn't hit it (no idea how) and I caught it and my mom took it. I'd have 10 if I could
    My roommate in college had a black cat and he was a complete asshole! That being said I think that had more to do with the owners incompetence than the cat itself...lol. I think it's so sad that no one wants those cats just because of a stupid old wives tale. It's like they are the Pit Bulls of cats!

• I hate Halloween. I hate orange and black together. I am considering not handing out candy with Emma, because I don't want creepy dressed kids coming to our door, scaring her. I want to hand out candy though! We won't be ToTing because we're closing on our house today and we have lots to do. We probably won't ever ToT anyways...

imageimage

BFP #1 July 4, 2011 Baby girl born Feb 22, 2012!!
    BFP #2 December 17, 2012 MMC January 24, 2013
    BFP #3 April 7, 2013 Baby girl born December 11, 2013!!
    Amelia has Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. She has had 3 open heart surgeries, 1 g-tube surgery, and one tracheostomy. She is the strongest, most precious little fighter. 
    You can follow her at. Www.ameliafaithsheart.blogspot.com

• I think the black eyeliner trend among high school/ college age girls is one of the butt-ugliest things I've ever seen. Especially on blondes.

Do you have a pic?  Because I like my black eye liner.....(I have a feeling it is not going to be how I do mine, but inside, the little kid says, But but it's pretty....)

I want to see a picture too!! I'm blonde and wear black eyeliner pretty much everyday... I hope I'm not one of those people that don't know their stuck in a fashion/beauty rut and no one will tell them to get with the times!! :-<
    April Siggy Challenge - May BMB - Newborn Fail
    Image result for newborn fail

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• KateMW said:
    We don't really celebrate Halloween either. My MIL did buy the kids' costumes, the boys will be pirates and the girl will be a candy corn princess. Her rule was nothing scary or evil. We will take the kids to the church to do trunk or treat, and normally that would be the end of it, but since I grew up going door to door I convinced DH to at least give it a chance in a nice neighborhood. I told him it's not like I'm going in someone's house and calling up the dead, I'm just letting my children get some candy (that DH won't let them eat anyway, but I digress).
    Wow, your husband sounds like a freaking blast.

Trunk or treat is way creepier than actual ToTing. "Hey kids, come over here and let me show you what I have in my trunk" Yeah, no.
    HA! Yeah, he was raised a special kind of special, but even my MIL has gotten soft with the grandkids. They get a lot more "real life experiences" than my H or SIL ever did. The in laws are huge volunteers in their church which is where we go trunk or treating. 

My H refuses to give the kids sugar. Have you ever seen how a child who is never given sugar acts when they get their hands on a little bit of sugar?! Yeah... it's an on going battle in my house.

• I think the black eyeliner trend among high school/ college age girls is one of the butt-ugliest things I've ever seen. Especially on blondes.

Do you have a pic?  Because I like my black eye liner.....(I have a feeling it is not going to be how I do mine, but inside, the little kid says, But but it's pretty....)
    I want to see a picture too!! I'm blonde and wear black eyeliner pretty much everyday... I hope I'm not one of those people that don't know their stuck in a fashion/beauty rut and no one will tell them to get with the times!! :-<

D13 June Siggy Challenge Awkward (Awesome) Bathing Suits
    photo d5230f4f-07cc-4b75-b11c-da060b42a66d.jpg

• KateMW said:

We don't really celebrate Halloween either. My MIL did buy the kids' costumes, the boys will be pirates and the girl will be a candy corn princess. Her rule was nothing scary or evil. We will take the kids to the church to do trunk or treat, and normally that would be the end of it, but since I grew up going door to door I convinced DH to at least give it a chance in a nice neighborhood. I told him it's not like I'm going in someone's house and calling up the dead, I'm just letting my children get some candy (that DH won't let them eat anyway, but I digress).

Trunk or treat is way creepier than actual ToTing. "Hey kids, come over here and let me show you what I have in my trunk" Yeah, no.

HA! Yeah, he was raised a special kind of special, but even my MIL has gotten soft with the grandkids. They get a lot more "real life experiences" than my H or SIL ever did. The in laws are huge volunteers in their church which is where we go trunk or treating. 

My H refuses to give the kids sugar. Have you ever seen how a child who is never given sugar acts when they get their hands on a little bit of sugar?! Yeah... it's an on going battle in my house.

What is your husband reasoning behind the no sugar? I understand moderation, but absolutely none? :(

BabyFruit Ticker

• KateMW said:

What is your husband reasoning behind the no sugar? I understand moderation, but absolutely none? :(
    He won't give them sugar because of how they act when they have sugar. Yeah, maybe if you gave it to them in moderation they wouldn't act like maniacs when they get a little bit in their system. In his defense, I was a mom for 11+ years and had 3 kids when we met so I had the BTDT experience and he was given a ready made family, add to that the fact that we got pg three months after we met (thank you Loestrin Fe for failing me) and he's still in the learning process of raising the older kids. He HAS come a loooong way from the way he used to be with the boys.
  • I don't post stuff about my pregnancy on Facebook, nor do I post u/s pictures. I just feel really weird about it. Probably not that unpopular of an opinion, but there you go.
    I don't either. I don't post on FB that often, period.
    I posted on facebook after we anounced we were pregnant because DH and I have really big families that are spread out all over the world and I did again when we found out she was a girl...that's it. But both times after I did it a few people did those random vague FB statuses to the effect of "no one cares about your pregnancy." I have people I know who post at least one a week about their pregnancy and I did it 2 times in 8 months and I am annoying.
    8-|

Whew... No mine does not look like that... #:-S

I have seen that though and I agree. It's like it's really thick and on the bottom only. Yuck!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've been laying here wide awake since 4:55 am. It's given me time to form a TON of opinions such as: "Everyone should have to be awake right now" and "Elbowing DH in the back when he grinds his teeth is an acceptable response."

My SO snores really loudly sometimes if he isn't sleeping well and I make those nights worse. I'm such a light sleeper as soon as he starts he wakes me up so I wake him up so he changes positions and stops.

• bay511 said:

I don't get the baseball obsession. My brothers play and are obsessed, my grandpa is from Chicago, they love it. I feel happy for the Red Sox fans, but I'm just glad it's over. Give me football or give me death! And college ball trumps NFL. ;;)

Gotta agree... Baseball's totally boring. Though I live in a city with literally the worst team in the MLB, so my opinion might be skewed. I went to school in Boston and just being at Fenway was always amazing.

• I'm with all the Halloween haters. I hate dressing up and I hate spending money on dressing up even more. This year, I'm dressed as Exhausted Pregnant Lady, and I'm totally selling it. It's the most convincing costume I've ever rocked.

This kind of goes with mine... For the twig girls that wear 10 lbs of make up, I'm sorry but if the amount of make up you wear weighs more than you do soaking wet there is something wrong there...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"