January 2013 Moms

How many diapers per day? Should I say something?

I really like the caretakers at DD's daycare, so I try not to micromanage the small stuff that doesn't really affect DD.  BUT, these two issues are driving me crazy, so I thought I'd quiz you ladies to see what you think:

•  DD uses disposables diapers at daycare, and they are currently changing her every 90 minutes, whether she needs it or not.  This seems like overkill to me (she rarely needs a change every 90 minutes at home), and we are going through a ton of diapers, which is expensive and bad for the environment.
  • They put every single freaking thing in a separate plastic bag to send it home.  Every shirt, pant, blanket, and crib sheet, whether it's really dirty or not, is bagged and knotted and then put in yet another bag to send it home to me.  I can see bagging a particularly poopy pair of pants after a blowout - but again, this seems like way overkill to me. 
Would you say something if you were me?  Again - they are attentive and loving to DD, and I don't want to be that mom that bugs them about everything or micromanages what they do.  But I'm spending a fortune on diapers and wipes (in addition to the $1200/mo for daycare) and I am overflowing with stupid plastic bags at home.  I know they can be recycled, but I just hate the waste of resources.  So what do you think - talk to them, or let it go?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How many diapers per day? Should I say something?

• Every 90 minutes??  Good Lord.  I would say something.  If you signed a contract that outlined that that is the way they do things, they may just come back to that if you do bring up the issue.  If they give you a hard time, maybe suggest an alternative changing schedule, maybe every 2-2.5 hours instead and provide them with as many diapers as that would be.  Also, perhaps they will let you supply a washable tote to send clothes home in as well.
    Formerly knittylady
    DH:34 - Me: 33
    Emmaline Winifred - 1.25.2013
    Wesley Daniel - 7.24.2014
    #3 EDD - 6.24.2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Every 90 minutes??  Good Lord.  I would say something.  If you signed a contract that outlined that that is the way they do things, they may just come back to that if you do bring up the issue.  If they give you a hard time, maybe suggest an alternative changing schedule, maybe every 2-2.5 hours instead and provide them with as many diapers as that would be.  Also, perhaps they will let you supply a washable tote to send clothes home in as well.
    That was my thought - that I would request every 2 hours, that would at least save me a few diapers per day.  And, I already provide a washable tote every day... and they fill it with plastic bags!  Argh!
  • Loading the player...
  • They are required by law to do it within a certain time frame so check with your state daycare regulation board to find out if they are being excessive or not. here, it's every 2 and even that seems too often but that's better than every 90 mins!
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • b0710 said:
     Do they often send your LO home with clothes in bags?  I only ask because it has only happened a few times with DS.  Good that they take great care of your LO, but I can see where you would be frustrated.
    I have to provide two outfits every day, and I'd say that 3 days/week she comes home in a new outfit, old outfit in a plastic bag. My impression is that either they have had REALLY picky moms in the past, or they have extreme policies on what is considered "clean."  I think if DD has even the remotest bit of moisture on clothes, or food, they change her.  As a mom, I'm much more concerned about DD's mental happiness than whether she is spotlessly clean.  So all of this seems crazy to me.
  • b0710 said:
     Do they often send your LO home with clothes in bags?  I only ask because it has only happened a few times with DS.  Good that they take great care of your LO, but I can see where you would be frustrated.
    I have to provide two outfits every day, and I'd say that 3 days/week she comes home in a new outfit, old outfit in a plastic bag. My impression is that either they have had REALLY picky moms in the past, or they have extreme policies on what is considered "clean."  I think if DD has even the remotest bit of moisture on clothes, or food, they change her.  As a mom, I'm much more concerned about DD's mental happiness than whether she is spotlessly clean.  So all of this seems crazy to me.
    that is really excessive, have they always been that meticulate? Maybe that teacher is just anal and it will be better once she moves up a room.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree that the every 90 min. is crazy pants, but I'd check on the individual bag issue.  

My SIL is a special ed teacher for kids 3 years to 4th grade, and many of her students are not potty trained or have sensory issues which can often times lead to interesting toileting habits.  She is required by law to place diapers in their own plastic bag and clothes in individual plastic bags if they are sending them home or even if they are throwing the diapers in a garbage can.  It all has to do with cross contamination. 

Could you include a handful of small wet bags with your tote?  That way they can put any soiled clothes in the individual wet bags in your tote, and you won't have to deal with the plastic. 
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • They are required by law to do it within a certain time frame so check with your state daycare regulation board to find out if they are being excessive or not. here, it's every 2 and even that seems too often but that's better than every 90 mins!

OP and I are in the same state (CA), and same urban area.  OUr regulations just say "as often as necessary to keep infant clean and dry at all times"  90 minutes is a bit overboard even with that broad reg
    Thanks for looking that up.
  • Thanks all - based on your responses, I don't feel wildly off-base saying something!
  • Every 90 minutes is crazy. At home I check him every other hour and only change him if he needs it, a lot of time the diaper looks full but they hold so much, there's hardly anything in there and I just check him again later.

I don't think it would hurt to ask about it as well as the bag issue, why are they changing her and is it necessary to have everything bagged separate. I second PP about wet bags if they say yes.

Jacob, 1/14/13
  • I would ask why they don't they way they do it. See if they have some sort of valid reason. If not then I would ask them to change as both items seem like overkill.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This whole conversation is crazy to me! My daycare changes everyone every 60 min! I had no idea that this was considered excessive.I guess when I think about it, we only change him every 3 hours ish at home. Man, imagine the money I could be saving! Haha but I agree with PP, it is probably state laws. I know that the clothes have to be in separate bags here (Florida, on a military base though) and the diapers have to be in plastic bags before being tossed out. I would definitely ask if there is a policy in effect. If there is, leave it. If it is just the way that class does it, then maybe they will compromise. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"