July 2014 Moms

moms of 2+...time to potty train!

I dont want to have 2 in diapers so we are gonna try to potty train DS in the next month or two. He will be 2 in like a week. Any tips?
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: moms of 2+...time to potty train!

• I've always just gone cold turkey and went straight to underwear.  Incentives work too.  Like M&M's for peeing ont he potty or a small toy for pooping.  I did match box cars for pooping bc that was our trouble zone.  I put a basket of toys ont he back of the toilet and if he pooped he got to pick one. 

I've potty trained a boy and a girl already and both did it within a week.  I have a daughter around your son's age but I don't my kid is ready yet so I'll wait until after the new year and try. 

Good luck!

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Right there with you! He wants to use the potty at daycare but never at home!

• Loading the player...
  • My son just turned 3 and refuses to use the potty. It's so annoying but I would love to get him out of diapers before baby #2 comes!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

• He likes his "elmo undies" and we put them on in the morning. ..until he pees in them. He looks down like 2 seconds before he goes, so I need to figure out how to have him notify me before he pees, since he does know it's coming. He knows how to sign "potty" so maybe that?

• I've tried letting him go naked sometimes when we are at home hoping that will make him think twice.

That didn't work. My carpets. ::Cries::

• We're doing pretty good with using the potty at daycare, they said that when we finish our current bag of diapers we can switch to pull ups if we want and they will start taking him more often.  Which means we will have to amp it up at home as well, right now we're taking him if he asks (so never) and before bed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabyFruit Ticker
  • lkf041 said:

I've always just gone cold turkey and went straight to underwear.  Incentives work too.  Like M&M's for peeing ont he potty or a small toy for pooping.  I did match box cars for pooping bc that was our trouble zone.  I put a basket of toys ont he back of the toilet and if he pooped he got to pick one. 

I've potty trained a boy and a girl already and both did it within a week.  I have a daughter around your son's age but I don't my kid is ready yet so I'll wait until after the new year and try. 

Good luck!

@lkf041 This sounds like a really good idea. I've tried cold turkey with my son and it didn't work, though. Granted, I only tried it for a day. (Do you to cold turkey at night and during naps too?) my son would sit on the potty and then ask for a treat. If I gave it to him, he wouldn't go, and if I didn't, he would get off the potty.

He knows when he needs to go potty. He usually tells me. But he won't go! He'll wait until he's off the potty and then go, even if he's not wearing a diaper.

Any advice?
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I didn't go cold turkey at naps or night time.  We did pull ups for those times but called them "nightime underwear". 

Regarding the cold turkey.  It's more work on us then them, 1 day won't train them.  3 or 4 this way will.  Just try to keep your patience and be encouraging.  Set a timer and have him try every 20-30 min.  Eventually he will get it.

DS- 11/08,  DD1 - 05/10,  DD2 - 11/11

BabyFetus Ticker
  • My DS just turned 3 and we've been working on this since June.  My advice is go straight to underwear (forget pull-ups, it just prolongs the process) during the day and if you want, use pull-ups for naps/nighttime.  We'd be washing sheets twice a day if we didn't do pull-ups for sleep times.  DS does pretty well with pee, but almost never poops in the toilet.  Pooping is a challenge for most kids, it just takes time for them to get it.  We do 2 M&Ms for pee and a bigger reward like a fun size candy bar or mini Reese's pb cups for pooping.  
    So, I'm pretty sure he'll be daytime trained by the time baby comes.  Nighttime is another story, but he'll stay in pull-ups until he's able to wake up to pee.  Of course, he'll probably regress once baby gets here.  That's super common, too. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic imagephoto Candle_zps6cecf456.png 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • My son is almost 3 and still doesn't want to use the potty!  I am determined that he'll be out of diapers in the next few months.  He's so darn stubborn.
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • Ecomom17 said:

Of course, he'll probably regress once baby gets here.  That's super common, too. :)

That's what I figured, which is why I want to get started asap to get a strong foundation ;)

Thanks ladies! This is so helpful.

• My doc said not to worry about it until my oldest was 3, but with this new...development, I think we're going to start trying to train her.

Otherwise, we'll have 3 in diapers this summer!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker 
  • tourqeyes said:
    I've tried letting him go naked sometimes when we are at home hoping that will make him think twice.

That didn't work. My carpets. ::Cries::
    LOL this was me to a T!

BabyFetus Ticker

• My LO is 18 months, he is showing interest in the potty & asking to sit on it but doesn't go. His interest sparked after spending the day with his cousin who is training.
    I plan to use the 3 day method in which you put LO in underwear & instruct them to tell mommy if you have to go potty. You have to stay by their side for the 3 days & rush them to the potty if you see them going pee/poo. You also check their underwear a gizillion times and praise them for being dry. My plan is to attempt this over winter break
  • In your opinions, are girls or boys easier to potty train?

BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker
  • No advice but we're in the potty training trenches in our house.  It's been a gradual process for us.  DD just started having completely dry diapers one day about a month or so ago, so I'd put her on the potty and she'd pee.  She'd go a full 9 hours dry and then revert back to her diapers.  We cloth diaper, so 2 weeks ago i got some training underpants with animal prints on the inserts and that was a huge incentive for her.  She didn't want to get her doggies, monkeys, or lions dirty.  We also started a sticker chart.  She still isn't telling me when she needs to go, she'll just try to hold it forever, so I just make sure to get her to the bathroom regularly.  She stayed dry from morning to bedtime today :).  

• DD is potty trained during the day.  Honestly we didn't have to do too much- I got her a little potty chair and some undies, and she asked to use them.  One weekend I just decided to put her in undies all the time, she had a few accidents, but had pretty much figured it out in a few days.  We just gave her lots of praise when she was successful. She did go through a period where she would pee just a little in her undies and then run to the potty- so then we started focusing more on whether her undies were dry or not.  Now she's doing great.  I don't think night training will happen for a long time though because she wakes up with a very full pull-up.
    DSC_1342
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers

• We plan to do the cold turkey method with my son over Veteran's Day weekend. I downloaded this Potty Training 3 Day boot camp book and I am going to try to follow that exactly. He goes on the potty at daycare most days, but just pee. He has never pooped on the potty. I hope he catches on quick! We are going to Disney World in January and I really don't want to have to bring diapers! Good luck to all of us!

• We have a potty seat and a little potty and C knows what "pee pee" is (he tells us when he's going and he knows when we go to the bathroom that's what we're doing) but he doesn't want to sit on the potty so we are just letting him go at his own pace. 

Mamas - don't put too much pressure on yourself! Read this hilarious post about how having a potty trained kid is overrated ;-)

• @bzbear2 :D that's a great post!

I'm torn between feeling like that and wanting to save money on diapers.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• DD is 18 months. I will start officially potty training when I am in my second tri. She already uses it sometimes, and she sits on it when ever she sees it.
    BFP - March 31st 2013 - MC on April 6th 2013<br>
    BFP - May 11th 2013 - MC on May 15th 2013<br>
    BFP - June 22nd 2013 - MC on June 30th 2013<br>
    BFP - September 2013 - MC September 2013<br>
    BFP - October 31, 2013 - December 17th - found out baby stopped growing at 7wks - natural MC December 20th 2013

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • moonfaeriemoonfaerie member
    edited October 2013
    bzbear2 said:
    Mamas - don't put too much pressure on yourself! Read this hilarious post about how having a potty trained kid is overrated ;-)

Truth! Having two in diapers is not bad. Having one scream that s/he needs to poop or didn't make it to the potty in time while you're trying to BF, get a newborn to sleep, or clean up a blow out is much more of a PITA!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"