Baby Showers

Wishing Well

My mom plans on throwing me my shower and I'm fine with that. However my mom wants to have a Wishing Well...she's old school. But after reading about books, and diapers blah blah blah I'm afraid to enclose that on an invite.
Thoughts!

Re: Wishing Well

• What is a wishing well?  I'm fairly "old school" myself and have never heard of this.

• Honestly, I've never had a problem with the idea of a wishing well.  I like the idea of letting people (if they so choose) bring a small item that MTB might forget to get or that they themselves found helpful.  Every single baby and bridal shower I've ever been to has had one.  People can participate or not - no one will know because it's not labeled, wrapped, or in conjunction with a raffle.

And yes, I'm one of the biggest "diaper raffles/books as cards" haters out there.

I've never seen or heard of a wishing well, but people often give small items that MTB didn't ask for or think of.  Generally people will include these smaller items with their gift if they want to anyway - they've never seemed to need a specific directive to do so.
  • Loading the player...
  • Can you ask her to change it up? Instead  of having people put gifts in the wishing well, put some index cards or stationary next to whatever she was going to use for gifts and ask people to write advice, words of encouragement, funny stories, etc? That way its not asking for gifts but your mom gets to have a cute activity to fit her tradition.
  • What's a wishing well?  Toiletries for the baby?  People give a ton of that stuff anyway. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • I had a wishing well at my wedding for people to put cards with money in them.  It wasn't an expectation and I didn't tell people beforehand.  It was just a place for them to put them so that the cards didn't get lost.  It's very easy for cards to get lost amongst the gifts or fall under a table.  
  • Thanks Ladies!
  • My BFF gave me a choice of people bringing books to build a library or wishing well.
  • Every shower I've ever been to has had a wishing well - some people bring something for it and others don't.  I've never thought twice about it. 
  • ha!  The things you learn on forums.  Never heard of wishing wells.  Think I'll have one for my birthday, Christmas, anniversary, hmm...what else?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"