Infertility

what determines ...(embryo question)

if an egg makes it to day 5?  I know about cells splitting but what determines or stops that?
Im new to ivf.  i had 5 eggs fertilized and am curious if all or any will make it to day 5.
i also want to get a better understanding of this
  • Iui 1: bfn
  • IUI 2with clomid: bfn
  • Iui 3 & 4 with clomid (same cycle) :BFP! but turned into an ectopic pregnancy. Bled for 3 months 
  • IUI 5 with clomid BFN  
  • October- IVF with ICSI  ER 10/27, 7 retrieved, 5 mature, 5 fertlized
    ET  11/1 transferred 2 froze 2
    BFP!!!!! on 11/11

Re: what determines ...(embryo question)

• Shortest explanation.... The quality of the egg and the quality of the sperm.
    Me: 38
    DX:  Adenomyosis, Compounded MTHFR, PAI-1 4G variant

DH: 34
    MFI due to Testicular Cancer

Married March 2012 <3
    IVF w/ICSI #1
    10 little polar bears
    FET #1 with 2 polar bears ~Nov 6, 2013 BFN :(
    FET # 2 with 2 more polar bears ~March 19, 2014 BFP!!!
    Beta 1= 276
    Beta 2= 662
    4/19/14 ~ baby A became an angel
    5/02/14 ~ baby B became an angel
    5/3/14 ~ D&C
    FET #3 with 1 male polar bear ~October 3, 2014
    October 13, 2014 ~ BFN
    Fur Children:  Memphis 3y, Dutch 3y, Marcel 2y, Meadow 1y

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    January 2015 Siggy Challenge TTCAL
    Animals Interacting with Snow

• Cells continue to grow or stop growing for a variety of factors, not all of which I understand.  In my case, chromosomal abnormalities caused the embryos to stop growing immediately after fertilization. 

Here's a blog I found that gives an overview. 
    I hope yours continue to develop and that you get great results!!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • hmmmm...thanks :)
    • Iui 3 & 4 with clomid (same cycle) :BFP! but turned into an ectopic pregnancy. Bled for 3 months 
    • IUI 5 with clomid BFN  
      BFP!!!!! on 11/11

• I've heard that depending on age and DX and egg quality 15-40% of eggs usually make it to full blast (day five or six stage).  So if you have 10 mature and fertilized eggs, depending on your age and DX you can expect about 1-4 eggs to make it to day five.  That might seem low but remember back when we first started TTC and you heard "A healthy couple has a 20% chance any month even with perfect timing of getting PG"? It's because even young, healthy women have some defective eggs out of the million we're born with.  So even some young fertile without IF issues, if they did IVF would not have all make it to day five.  It's just the nature of creating life.  Survival of the fittest if you will.  

I had seven fertilized eggs and I'm 35.  I had one make it to full blast and a second that made it to early blast but stopped growing before full blast.  To me this makes sense because 15% of 7 is 1.  (25% of 7 is 1.75, and since there is no such thing as three fourth of an embryo the mathematician brain of mine says well one fully made it and one came close).  Maybe if I was a few years younger that would have given me 30% make it, which would mean 2 blasts make it.

:::SHRUGS:::  I don't know if my rambling makes any sense but it helped me accept our numbers.  

TTC since July 2009. Dx MFI & LPD. 
    IUI#1&2&3 (2011 & 2012) BFN
    IUI#4 1/23/13 on 75iu x9 Follistim = BFP then chem preg m/c (Feb 2013)
    IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    BFP! Beta 1:104 @ 10dp6dt, Beta 2:178 @ 12dp6dt,  beta 3:366 @ 14dp6dt
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    JUNE 2014 IVF#2;  5R, 2M, 1F Three day transfer 6/7.  Beta 6/18 - BFN
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• katib77 said:
    I've heard that depending on age and DX and egg quality 15-40% of eggs usually make it to full blast (day five or six stage).  So if you have 10 mature and fertilized eggs, depending on your age and DX you can expect about 1-4 eggs to make it to day five.  That might seem low but remember back when we first started TTC and you heard "A healthy couple has a 20% chance any month even with perfect timing of getting PG"? It's because even young, healthy women have some defective eggs out of the million we're born with.  So even some young fertile without IF issues, if they did IVF would not have all make it to day five.  It's just the nature of creating life.  Survival of the fittest if you will.  

I had seven fertilized eggs and I'm 35.  I had one make it to full blast and a second that made it to early blast but stopped growing before full blast.  To me this makes sense because 15% of 7 is 1.  (25% of 7 is 1.75, and since there is no such thing as three fourth of an embryo the mathematician brain of mine says well one fully made it and one came close).  Maybe if I was a few years younger that would have given me 30% make it, which would mean 2 blasts make it.

:::SHRUGS:::  I don't know if my rambling makes any sense but it helped me accept our numbers.  
    makes sense. thanks
    wish the rate was higher. 15 % isnt a lot.  I am 36 (so is husband). I only had 5 fertilized.  hopefully 1 or 2 will make it to day 5
    • IUI 5 with clomid BFN  
      BFP!!!!! on 11/11

• To piggy back on what @katib77 said. I had 5 embryos on day 3. My clinic pushes everyone to day 5, I had I embryo out of five make it to early blast on day 5 and was transferred. I had another that made it to the compacted stage on day 5, but didn't make it to blast on day 6 for freezing. My first cycle I only had 3 embryos and none of them made it to day 5.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• O2girl said:
    Shortest explanation.... The quality of the egg and the quality of the sperm.
    Here is a LONG article and somewhere in it they explain how up until day 3 it is the mother's DNA that determines if the egg continues, but after day 3 the sperm is taken into account.
    ***WARNING***

TTC Since 12/2008;  DH: 32, Azoospermia     me: 33, DX during IVF #4: Low AMH (Normal FSH) / SER due 
    to IVF Meds (causing failure to fertilize) Recent DX: Hashimoto's, Lupus Anticoagulant, White Blood Cell Disorder 
    High ANA, ATA, & APA, PAI-1 Heterozygous= blood clotting disorder; connective tissue disorder 
    IVF w/ ICSI #1 2/2011     IVF w/ ICSI #2 5/2011    IVF w/ ICSI #3 12/2012   *New RE* IVF w/ ICSI #4  5/2013
    IVF w/ ICSI #5 8/2013 (Natural Cycle- No drugs)- One follicle->one blast. CCS normal. FET 9/10- 6BB blast. m/c @ 5w
    IUI #1 12/23- BFN  IUI #2 Cancelled (ovulated during AF)  Prep:CoQ10 (300 mg); DHEA (25 mg); Melatonin (3 mg), Folgard 2.2, Metformin 500 2x, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Aspirin 81mg w/ calcium, B12,  Vit. D 4000 & Prenate Elite Daily; Cabergoline 1/2 pill 2x week-  Cycling: Estrace Priming; Prednisone 10mg, Lovenox 40mg 2x,  Femera & Menopur   
    IUI #2.1 6/30 & 7/1. 1st Beta: 90 (7/15); 2nd Beta: 226 (7/17); 3rd Beta: 766   EDD: 3/23/2015

**ALL WELCOME**                                    My Blog 

• Smals said:
    katib77 said:
    I've heard that depending on age and DX and egg quality 15-40% of eggs usually make it to full blast (day five or six stage).  So if you have 10 mature and fertilized eggs, depending on your age and DX you can expect about 1-4 eggs to make it to day five.  That might seem low but remember back when we first started TTC and you heard "A healthy couple has a 20% chance any month even with perfect timing of getting PG"? It's because even young, healthy women have some defective eggs out of the million we're born with.  So even some young fertile without IF issues, if they did IVF would not have all make it to day five.  It's just the nature of creating life.  Survival of the fittest if you will.  

makes sense. thanks
    wish the rate was higher. 15 % isnt a lot.  I am 36 (so is husband). I only had 5 fertilized.  hopefully 1 or 2 will make it to day 5
    Try to remember it can be the 40% group.  And there are those that go above the curve.  I've seen plenty of DOR or POF gals that have only one or two fertilized and get PG so clearly that happens.  FX for you for one or more rockstar embies out of your five.

IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    IVF w/ICSI Oct. 2, 2012 - 13R, 11M, 7F, 1 frozen blast 4BB grade - - - FET Nov 15, 2013
    Saw heartbeat twice before missed M/C at 8w3d on 12/27/13, missing my little angel boy
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• **Also remember that was data I was looking for for freeze all cycles.  If you are doing fresh ET they can chose to put embies back on day 3 and I've seen tons get PG with morula's and 6-10 cell embies.  

IUI#5 BFN (April 2013)
    Child Free Now?
    S/PAIFW , S/PALW

My Blog

• I'm 36 and hubs is 37. The numbers we were given at our clinic is that 50% of fertilized embryos will usually make it to day 5 blast. Since we had 4 fertilized, we froze on day 1 and decided to cycle again. 

We figured if 2 make it to day 5 blast (50%) and and at my age 60% are usually normal when you do CCS testing...odds were I'd get one normal to transfer if I moved forward. If I was lucky and beat the odds...maybe 2 of them. And if I was unlucky none. Game over. 

I hope you beat the odds and all of yours make it!
    Me: 36 - stage 2/3 endometriosis, diminished ovarian reserve (DOR), poor responder
    Hubs: 37 - low morphology
    TTC since 2008

Referred to local RE: 6/22/2010
    HSG + Saline sonogram: 8/13/2010
    IUI #1: BFN 09/2010
    IUI #2: BFN 10/2010
    IUI #3: + acupuncture: BFN 12/26/2010
    Laparoscopy: Diagnosed and cleaned out endometriosis 1/9/2012
    IVF#1 (ICSI): Long Lupron + acupuncture = Cancelled 1/11/2013
    Second opinion phone consult with CCRM: 5/13/2013
    ODWU at CCRM: 6/10/13
    IVF #2 (ICSI): Estrogen Priming Protocol - ER 9/28/2013 = 7 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized (banked and frozen at one cell stage for PGD testing with embies next retrieval)
    IVF #3 (ICSI): Estrogen Priming Protocol - ER 1/10/14 = 8 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized. My 4 from previous cycle were thawed at Day 1 to grow to Day 5 blastocyst phase with my 3 fresh embryos. Only 2 embryos made blastocyst and were biopsied for CCS testing. Both were abnormal. Nothing to transfer from either cycle. Told that I should move onto other options.Grieving loss of any biological children with my genes.

My blog: Dreaming of Dimples

• **bfp mentioned**

On our last cycle, we only had 1 fertilized egg, transferred on day 2 at a mere 4 cells and got pregnant. We lost our baby, but it was bc of something totally unrelated. It can and does happen!
    Anniversary

TTC since 2008
    Dh:34, no issues.  Me:31, Endo, slightly hypothyroid, deformed ovary, paracentric inversion.
    4 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone +TI cycles= all BFN
    Lap in 2012 to remove large unresolving cyst discovered endo and double lobed ovary.
     6 Gonal-F, Cetrotide, HcG, Crinone IUI cycles= All BFN,
    1st IVF w/ICSI- June '13 Antagonist: Gonal-F, Menopur, Ganirelix, HcG, Estradiol, Crinone= 7 retrieved, 4 mature, 1 unfertilized, 2 abnormally fertilized, 1 normally fertilized.  2DT of only embryo and our miracle BFP.
    Our beloved baby boy was born sleeping Oct. 13, 2013 due to pROM/IC/Uterine infection.
    2nd IVF w/ICSI- Feb. '14 EPP/lupron/antagonist: Estrace, lupron, HGH, Gonal-F, Menopur, HcG, PIO, lovenox, doxy/dex.=21 retrieved, 16 mature, 15 fertilized!!  5dt of 1 blast/ 6 frozen. BFP!  Beta 1 9dp5dt:83.9  Beta 2: 11dp5dt: 145.2  Beta 3  14dp5dt: 497  Please be our sticky rainbow baby!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage
  • katib77 said:
    **Also remember that was data I was looking for for freeze all cycles.  If you are doing fresh ET they can chose to put embies back on day 3 and I've seen tons get PG with morula's and 6-10 cell embies.  
    My dr only does day 5 transfers
    • IUI 5 with clomid BFN  
      BFP!!!!! on 11/11

• poohniki said:
    O2girl said:
    Shortest explanation.... The quality of the egg and the quality of the sperm.
    Here is a LONG article and somewhere in it they explain how up until day 3 it is the mother's DNA that determines if the egg continues, but after day 3 the sperm is taken into account.
    Just read article ...thanks
    • IUI 5 with clomid BFN  
      BFP!!!!! on 11/11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"