International Bumpies
Options

Baby Boy Abroad

First off I know this is a personal decision that's up to us BUT I'd like to hear some other point of views and opinions in this matter ....

My husband and I are having our first child here in Eastern Europe where my midwife says "we like Shar Peis" meaning circumsion isn't common. It's possible to find a doctor "willing" to do the procedure but it freaks me out to think of handing my newborn over to a doctor who hasn't performed this much! We really want the procedure done but are hesitant now.
I know it's becoming less and less common in the US as well but I don't know if it's worth fighting for...

It's up in the air at this point.

Thanks

Re: Baby Boy Abroad

• Options
    They don't circumise in Australia anymore either. I was told that If you want this procedure done you have to get It done months later and schedule it as a surgery. It's a real hot topic on these boards with people pro and con. We decided not to put our son through it. Before he was born, it bothered me more. Now I'm happy we didn't do it. My opinion is that it's not necessary.
  • Options

In most of Western Europe it is also not done either. Actually it was never common here. I don't think there is really any research left indicating that circumcision is "healthier". I think today it is done generally for religious or for social/cultural reasons. Most people in the States do it because that's the societal norm - same thing in Europe, except Europeans do not do it. This was a huge debate in Germany not long ago.

Honestly I think it is a personal decision . . . I would not have my son circumcised, but perhaps I have been living abroad too long.

TTC: Since July 2013
    BFP #1: EDD 05/27/2014 (D&C 10/17/2014)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We most likely would've done it had we lived in the states. When I mentioned it at the hospital they looked at me like I was a monster which immediately made me realize that I shouldn't try to do it since they are so against it. It was not easy to come to terms with at the time, but it's really no big deal now.
  • Options

We have lived Germany for a few years (dh is military), and our son was born here.

We did not circ, but I would have not done it in the states, either. I don't get it. It's totally not needed. DH is circ'ed, but had my full support with this.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    I live in Europe also -- here are my recs:

1) Look for a Urologist & make an appt - they should be able to do it or point you in the right direction to someone who can

2) Find a Jewish Mohel and they most likely perform these often. Go to a local Jewish temple and ask for one. 

3) Look up on the US Embassy website for your country -- there should be a list of Dr's recommend and you might find some useful info there.

Good luck & congrats on your upcoming arrival!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    In NL they have special clinics just for this. If you happen to find yourself in NL I can give you a recommendation.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Also a July 2013 Mom!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"