2nd Trimester

13 weeks, Braxton Hicks this early??

I am having pain that comes and goes in my pelvis, all the way to my peri area at times. Is this my body stretching, or possibly Braxton Hicks? Good God they hurt! I get them the most when I'm sitting in my car.

Re: 13 weeks, Braxton Hicks this early??

• There are two normal types of pain in 2nd tri:

RLP (Round Ligament Pain), which tends to feel like a sharp, quick "stitch".  It is more of a shooting type pain that can be very painful at times!  RLP comes on quickly, and while you might feel a bit "sore" for a few minutes, it is not a long-lasting pain.

Braxton Hicks tend to be more prolonged and feel like mild menstrual cramps.  Your belly may feel tight to the touch, and you will feel a bit of discomfort that lasts a minute or two.  Some women never feel them.

If you're saying "Good God they hurt!" it is probably RLP.  Braxton Hicks tend to be more, "Ow, that's uncomfortable."  If you ever experience pain that is like severe menstrual cramps, pain that doesn't go away for a long period of time (an hour), or any spotting or bleeding, call your OB right away.

And of course, none of us are your medical professional, so if you are really concerned, call your OB today.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have been having Braxton hicks occasionally and they don't hurt... They're slightly uncomfortable and they just feel tight to me. They do last a few minutes, I don't think they should make you hurt! You can tell if its a BH contraction if your uterus contracts.. your belly just feels very hard.

What does hurt is the round ligament pain the previous poster was talking about. That is occasionally so painful that I can't walk. I talked to my doctor about it and she did say it was normal to hurt that much. I'd say its probably worth a quick mention to your doctor just because it seems to be a concern for you but overall, I wouldn't really worry!

Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • with all my children i have had early braxton hicks..with and without pain, and i almost always dialate early around 71/2 8 months pregnant to 2 cm, and i almost always go in on time...each pregnant body varies
    Mom of 4 plus one more!!!!
  • Yup BH can start in the 2nd trimester.
  • Braxton Hicks can start very early (like 8 weeks), especially for STM. They aren't painful though, just tight and uncomfortable. 

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"