2nd Trimester
Options

2 sacs, 1 baby?

I had a free ultrasound done at a local pregnancy clinic at about 8wks 5days and we saw 2 separate sacs but only one baby in one of the sacs. The nurse said she can't say weather it's twins or not cuz it isn't her specialty. Has anyone had this and ended up having twins? I've read all about vanishing twin, but I'm secretly hoping that's not the case here:-)

Answers

• Options
    I am not 15wks and have my first doc apt on Friday
  • Options
    sounds like a missing twin ...also known as missing twin syndrome...

Mom of 4 plus one more!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ktpaladinoktpaladino member
    edited October 2013
    It could be a vanishing twin, but I had this with my first pregnancy and I would like to share my experience and diagnosis. At first when I went in for my NT scan they told me it was a vanishing twin. However, if it is truly a vanishing twin, the second sac eventually shrinks and disappears. However, my second sac was still visible (and was continuing to slightly grow in size) at my 20 week anatomy scan and the doctor there theorized it was a band of scar tissue with a fluid-filled sac attached. I was later told I could rule this out because I had an HSG done prior to getting pregnant which was all clear and showed absolutely no blockages or scar tissue. So I went the rest of my pregnancy not really knowing what it was. All my ultrasound techs and my OB said they couldn't really know what it was for sure. My OB told me the important thing was to make sure it was removed after delivery so as not to cause any kind of infection. After delivery my OB had a tough time removing it...good thing I had such a good epidural or she might have had to send me into surgery! She determined it was an extra placental lobe. The good news is that DS was completely unaffected by the extra sac in there...except for maybe he had a little less wiggle room! So I would just wait to see if this sac disappears which would most likely point to a vanishing twin, but rest easy knowing that if it does not, it's probably not going to have any negative effects on your baby. Unfortunately if the sac is empty I don't think you have any chance of having twins if that's what you are hoping for :/ GL to you and if you wouldn't mind PMing me, I would be interested to hear the outcome! I have only heard of one other person thus far with a second sac that did not go away!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If I can figure out how to, I will for sure message you! Thanks for the info:-)
  • Options
    now that was very well said 
    Mom of 4 plus one more!!!!
  • Options
    What ever happens I hope everything is ok for you.

Yes I know I'm being picky and I am sorry, but she isn't a Nurse, she is a Sonographer. big respect to both these professionals but they do very very different jobs. Trust me, you do NOT want a sonographer when you need a nurse, they wouldn't be able to handle it! hehe
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    She actually was a nurse. The only nurse they have at that clinic, who also does ultrasounds. It's a small pregnancy clinic that does pregnancy tests and an early ultrasound for free.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"