April 2013 Moms

Scared/hesitant of family

So DD used to go to pretty much anyone, but has been more hesitant with family that she sees every couple of weeks. She just wants DH or I to hold her. When my mom babysat the other night she cried for 45 min after we left, I felt terrible.

The doctor mentioned this at her appointment yesterday, that it is important for her to warm up to others at this age before they just try and hold her or she will likely get upset and become scared. So I mentioned this to my mom today when I went over there and she tried talking to her for a minute and then just took her, DD looked a little scared. My mom acted a little irritated by that, but I tried warning her!

Anyone else going through this with their LO? We are going to visit my in laws next weekend and my MIL was going to watch her when we went to a football game, but now I'm kind of worried about this as she hasn't seen her in a few months.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Scared/hesitant of family

• I think this is a normal thing for babies to go through at this age. I have someone who comes to help out with the baby twice a week for 2-3 hours each time, and she has been coming since DS was just a few weeks old. Within the past week, DS has started to get upset at being held by her and will hold out his arms to me so I will take him back. However, this makes it very hard to get the things done (cooking, washing, cleaning) which are the whole reason I hired her to come help in the first place!
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • We have this prioblem with LO and my dad.  He sees her almost daily...usually just a few minutes (we live on the family farmstead and he stops in before he goes home) but she does not like him.  Even if I am still holding her or last night we were just playing on the floor when he came in, she starts to whine and cry.  Makes me feel bad.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I remember all my cousins going through this, and DD is, too. Totally normal.
    Married July 3, 2009 | Furbaby Trevor July 15, 2009 | Furbaby Darcy May 15, 2010 | BFP August 14, 2012 | DD April 18, 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"