3rd Trimester

Labor questions

So I'm having all the signs of labor. Stronger irregular contractions, more gas, looser bowels, nausea, lost my mucus plug, baby has dropped & is in position, etc. I'm also doing what I can to get labor going, walking and lots of sex! I'm 39 weeks, and I'm only 50% effaced and 2 cm dilated. I've only dilated 1 cm since last week, no regular contractions yet, and no broken water.

So at my appointment my Doctor said she was surprised I haven't made more progress, and with my due date in about 5 days, they are going to do a fluid check and stress test. Then 1 week after that I'll be induced if nothing happens. She's hoping I'll go into labor, because they prefer not to induce at all but she's worried about my placenta.

I wish he would come, my husband and I are so read to have our LO here. I want a natural birth, not an induced labor for several reasons. I've been practicing for an unmedicated birth and mentally preparing. Now I'm worried with an induced labor it will drag out the process and I will have to get and epi to deliver. I want my baby to be fully baked and come when he's ready, but I also want him to be healthy! I'm going to see if they can do a cervical sweep, although I think she already was planning that. (Trying to remember from my appointment) I'm a first time mom and I know its usual to be late, still hopeful he comes naturally before then!

When did you deliver? Natural or Induced? Is a fluid check as bad as it sounds?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Labor questions

• I delivered a week before my due date with my 1st. Contractions came first and I had an epi and tried pushing for 12 hours and then had an emergency c section bc the babies head was turned.. Nothing happened as planned :(
  • With my first, contractions came first. I had been checked 2 days previous and was 2cm dilated. When my contractions were about 2 mins apart and 30+ seconds long we went to the hospital. Expected to be there for a while. Ended up delivering at 1:10am, after 8 hours of labor.

My water broke at the hospital just before they were going to break it for me. I went into labor 2 days before I was set to be induced.

I think the fluid check is an U/S to look at the levels. I had quite a few NST's and U/S at the end of that pregnancy. And don't quote me on this, but I think it is possible to have an induction with out medication. If you are worried about that, give your Dr a call to talk about your fears.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a two cousins in the past year go to 41 and 42 weeks. So just means your baby is still cooking. No reason to worry. Mine came early due to pre-e which meant I needed an emergency c so can't answer the other question. Good luck!

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• When did you deliver?
    DD came at 39weeks 1 day. Med free delivery in four hours.

DS came at 41w2d after a membrane sweep. I made it 10 hours & to 9cm before he was in distress & I started to panic. Got the epidural. It allowed my body/mind/spirit to rest so he could finish dropping etc. he was born two hours later.

Natural or Induced?
    No meds for DD & a membrane sweep for DS.

Is a fluid check as bad as it sounds?
    I've never had one. I can't answer this one.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I had an internal at exactly 39 weeks which showed nothing going on.  Two hours after that I started to have contractions and less than 24 hours later my son was born.  I progressed on my own (the doc did not check on me) until I couldn't take the pain and buzzed for an epi thinking I was only 4cm; turns out I was 8!! and my son was butt down....(so pissed at the practice) so I had a C-section..but I progressed very quickly.
  • J&Jaggies06J&Jaggies06 member
    edited October 2013
    Why would she be worried about your placenta? If they are going to check the fluid they can also check your placenta. If nothing is wrong then wait it out. I delivered at 41w 2 day
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
  • Since I'm 35, I dealt with being encouraged to choose inducement at ny 38 week appointment. I was pissed honestly and stuck to my guns...am I healthy? Yes. Is baby healthy? Yes. Is anything at all remotely looking like it could go wrong? No. Then I will wait as long as the answers to those questions do not change. I only agreed to have induction scheduled ahead of time for a couple days before I hit 42 weeks (obviously that would change if anything startef going south).

I ended up with water breaking at 39 & 2 days. I was gbs pos and they wanted to induce immediately. Again, I knew it didn't increase risk until after 18 hrs from water break so I got them to let my body do its thin for at least 12 hrs. I walked sat on ball etc. Then induced. 3.5 hrs later had a lo. No epi but one dose of intravenous fentanol (sp?).

Ps fluid checks were measured by ultrasound. Not bad at all for me but I dont know if there are other ways they do them.

Best of luck. Decide what you hope for (we do nt always get what we want obviously) and know what is necessary and what can be held off on. If you feel you should hold off and things are looking ok otherwise, stick to your guns. :)

Oh sorry this got long!!

• i was 41 weeks and induced . got the epi and i was 9 cm when i pushed.  before i pushed dr told me i may have to get c section... i was so scared. then he said lets give the pushing a try and i pushedddddd for 30 minutes and boom came out my daughter lol.

they say that tons of walking helps. i shouldve done a lot of those but i started walking last minute lmfao.
  • I was 9 days early with DD1. Dilated to 3 and my water broke but no contractions. Started on Pitocin at noon to help start contractions and had her 11:58pm. No other meds/epi.

I was 4 days early with my DD2. Contractions started, Dr. broke my water at 5cm. 6 hours of labor all natural.

DS1 was 9 days early. Water broke and contractions started immediately. 6 hours of labor and I had the epi. Not sure what was so different about the pain but I couldn't do it.

Planning a med free/ natural birth for this baby but anything could happen my other 3 were all so different. Keep walking, baby will come when he's ready and he sounds ready!

• Checking fluids is done by U/S.  Super simple and you will get to peek at LO.  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"