April 2013 Moms

Returning baby food?!

Do you mom's know if you can return baby food to any store if it carries that certain kind, or if it needs to be returned to the original place of purchase? I'm wondering because I got a little excited and bought a lot of purees for my LO who is 6 months. No way will I be going through it all so I'm looking to return some of it. Of course I don't have the receipt for any. But if more than 1 store carries the flavor/brand, can I just return it there....or do I have to figure out exactly where it came from? I'm just wondering if the bar codes will be different for each store, or if they're all generic. TIA!!

Re: Returning baby food?!

• Bar codes are generic. If it's sealed and not expired, you probably won't have a problem. Wal-Mart is really good about taking stuff back.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Are you sure you won't be going through it all? The jars last a while and sometimes you can use them in other things. I've added puréed fruits to baked goods and veggies to soups sometimes. We also always keep a few jars of prunes around even for my 3 year old, just in case :P
  • Loading the player...
  • We learned that Walmart wouldn't return baby food or formula without a receipt because of WIC.
  • We learned that Walmart wouldn't return baby food or formula without a receipt because of WIC.
    This. A lot of stores won't return baby related items because it could be WIC purchases and parents trying to get cash back.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Why not take it back to the store you purchased it from?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                                                  

Baby on Board - My Blog 

Anniversary

• I thought walmart threw away all the food items that are returned anyways?

But, yeah they won't accept food items without a receipt because people use things like WIC and food stamps to buy food and try to get cash. I know so many people who would abuse that if it were allowed.

• ClandestineXClandestineX member
    edited October 2013
    Grace0609 said:

I'm sorry.  Whether or not you might be ABLE to return a bunch of stuff you bought to a store from which you didn't buy it should not be the question.  It is just wrong.  You didn't PAY that store for the food, so why in the world should they take it back and give you money for it?

Well, I can see where you are coming from with the food since it is usually thrown away anyways, but with non-food items they can resell it at their store if they carry the same brand and if it was the same price. 

The only time they will have a problem with it if you do it often and loss prevention usually has a word with you.

I could see if the store they bought it from is further away than the store that would take it. Example would be being surrounded by walmarts yet the closest target is 40+ miles away. If I bought anything from them that needed returning I would do so at a walmart.

• letranger said:
    I'd donate to a local food bank.
    Yeah this. If you don't have a receipt, just donate it. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Grace0609 said:
    Grace0609 said:

I'm sorry.  Whether or not you might be ABLE to return a bunch of stuff you bought to a store from which you didn't buy it should not be the question.  It is just wrong.  You didn't PAY that store for the food, so why in the world should they take it back and give you money for it?

Well, I can see where you are coming from with the food since it is usually thrown away anyways, but with non-food items they can resell it at their store if they carry the same brand and if it was the same price. 

The only time they will have a problem with it if you do it often and loss prevention usually has a word with you.

Curious... @JSS1002 ...  how do you feel about this?

My opinion is that it is still sketchy to try to return stuff to a store from which you didn't buy it.  Sounds like someone is trying to scam the system.  And I don't think it is fair.

I added a bit at the end. Though I agree it isn't something that you should do often. When I worked at walmart, they took note of all different types of ways that people might try to scam them. Which is why when you return anything without a receipt from a different store, you only get a walmart gift card worth that value.

• Grace0609 said:
    Grace0609 said:

Curious... @JSS1002 ...  how do you feel about this?

My opinion is that it is still sketchy to try to return stuff to a store from which you didn't buy it.  Sounds like someone is trying to scam the system.  And I don't think it is fair.

I had replied already above you.
    Basically,I don't understand when we made the shift, as a society, from "you can return it with a receipt within a reasonable amount of time" to "I am going to return it whenever,whatever,wherever I want and expect to be compensated.

When you purchase something it is a contract between the buyer and the seller. Your receipt allows you to be reimbursed to break that contract. Without a receipt, you're at the mercy of the retailer, who may or may not refund you... but to knowingly return a product from a different place than where you bought it is tantamount to stealing in my eyes.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @JSS1002 - When a product is returned, say nothing has been opened. The store just resells it. When a product is opened, if defective, the manufacturer gives them the credit for said item.. If the packaging is lost and it is/is not defective, then the manufacturer might not take it... they resell it to a resell store. 

Without a receipt, stores usually only give you credit to their store. Thus, any money they give you will be given back to the store. So I do not see how that equates to stealing. The only reason why loss prevention will even talk to someone who does it multiple times is if they suspect someone is stealing something from somewhere and reselling it back to a store. Though technology with barcodes now days is helping combat that.

• I could be wrong...but at the Targets around here if you give them the credit card you used they can look up and see if you purchased the item there...therefore you may not need a receipt.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @JSS1002 - When a product is returned, say nothing has been opened. The store just resells it. When a product is opened, if defective, the manufacturer gives them the credit for said item.. If the packaging is lost and it is/is not defective, then the manufacturer might not take it... they resell it to a resell store. 

Without a receipt, stores usually only give you credit to their store. Thus, any money they give you will be given back to the store. So I do not see how that equates to stealing. The only reason why loss prevention will even talk to someone who does it multiple times is if they suspect someone is stealing something from somewhere and reselling it back to a store. Though technology with barcodes now days is helping combat that.
    Those are some pretty big generalities there, and nowhere near accurate for all retailers. SOMETIMES the manufacturer issues a credit. SOMETIMES the store issues a store credit. I stand by my opinion that to KNOWINGLY return something to a different place than where you bought it is dishonest and sneaky and tantamount to stealing. Somebody pays for that shit.

PP -- yes, Target can look up with your credit card if you bought it there.  This technology was developed as a workaround to the issues outlined in this thread. 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002 said:
    @JSS1002 - When a product is returned, say nothing has been opened. The store just resells it. When a product is opened, if defective, the manufacturer gives them the credit for said item.. If the packaging is lost and it is/is not defective, then the manufacturer might not take it... they resell it to a resell store. 

Those are some pretty big generalities there, and nowhere near accurate for all retailers. SOMETIMES the manufacturer issues a credit. SOMETIMES the store issues a store credit. I stand by my opinion that to KNOWINGLY return something to a different place than where you bought it is dishonest and sneaky and tantamount to stealing. Somebody pays for that shit.

PP -- yes, Target can look up with your credit card if you bought it there.  This technology was developed as a workaround to the issues outlined in this thread. 
    I agree many retailers have different rules when it comes to returns. I am only speaking about walmarts policy.

To be honest, I believe if a store is going to accept returns from another store it needs to safeguard itself. Store credit and making sure the manufacturers give credit or else not sell their shit.

• JSS1002 said:
    @JSS1002 - When a product is returned, say nothing has been opened. The store just resells it. When a product is opened, if defective, the manufacturer gives them the credit for said item.. If the packaging is lost and it is/is not defective, then the manufacturer might not take it... they resell it to a resell store. 

I agree many retailers have different rules when it comes to returns. I am only speaking about walmarts policy.

To be honest, I believe if a store is going to accept returns from another store it needs to safeguard itself. Store credit and making sure the manufacturers give credit or else not sell their shit.

And I think that a store just plain shouldn't accept returns on something they didn't sell. I still don't understand why anybody thinks that isn't dishonest, to try to return something from a place where you didn't buy it. Makes zero sense to me. 

Vendors can't always give chargebacks. That would make it almost impossible for small vendors to ever get into big stores.   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Grace0609 said:

In deciding if this is the right thing to do, one thing I would ask is, if you were honest when you brought back an item to store A and said "Hey, I bought this at store B but I am too lazy to take it back to store B, so I am bringing it here to you to return it", would store A say "Hey, no problem!  Happy to do this work for you!"  I can't think of a single store where that would be allowed or smiled upon.  Every store I can think of would say you couldn't return something you bought somewhere else to their store.  And, actually, if they DID let you do it I would think they were dumb. 

Thank you.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002 said:
    Grace0609 said:

In deciding if this is the right thing to do, one thing I would ask is, if you were honest when you brought back an item to store A and said "Hey, I bought this at store B but I am too lazy to take it back to store B, so I am bringing it here to you to return it", would store A say "Hey, no problem!  Happy to do this work for you!"  I can't think of a single store where that would be allowed or smiled upon.  Every store I can think of would say you couldn't return something you bought somewhere else to their store.  And, actually, if they DID let you do it I would think they were dumb. 

Thank you.
    I keep rereading this whole thread because I'm sort of slackjawed that people actually think it is ok to do this. Highly unethical, people.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ok I didn't expect everyone to get so bent out of shape about this topic...it was just a question! If I can't remember what store I bought it from I plan just giving it to a friend who's baby is younger than my LO. Everyone seriously needs to chill out!
  • nahw said:
    Ok I didn't expect everyone to get so bent out of shape about this topic...it was just a question! If I can't remember what store I bought it from I plan just giving it to a friend who's baby is younger than my LO. Everyone seriously needs to chill out!
    Lol!

Well that was nice of you to give some to your friend.

• Funny bc when the debate started I was thinking maybe she just doesn't remember at what store she bought what:)

Yes...exactly, geez!!
  • edited October 2013
    andertrr said:
    Bar codes are generic. If it's sealed and not expired, you probably won't have a problem. Wal-Mart is really good about taking stuff back.
    I don't know if this is true...I remember trying to return diapers at target once and they wouldn't take some... I guess it's worth a try though.
    I don't know for sure, but maybe it was a brand/size of package that the store didn't carry? I do know that the PLU on any, say, 54 pack of Pampers Baby Dry size 3 diapers is the same (barring the rebranding that they recently did which may have changed it.)
    Grace0609 said:

I didn't realize/think about WIC and baby food.... That turns my stomach that someone would return food for her baby for a little pocket cash. But I just want to say that I had several packs of unopened diapers that we received as gifts that R never got to wear. They were all perfectly good. I took them to the customer service counter at Target and said, "we received these diapers as gifts and my baby can't wear them. Can I exchange these here for a bigger size?" The guy asked me if we're from Target and I said that I wasn't sure where they were from. He took them back to problem, gave me a gift card for the amount, and I used it to buy diapers in a larger size. And actually, I remember several conversations going on in this forum about where to exchange diapers. At no point were those people chastised for being "thieves". Just sayin. I agree that it's good to be honest with the people when you return it, but if you aren't trying to be unethical, there's nothing wrong with trying if it's a perfectly good product that the store can re-sell. Like a pp, I think it's the store's responsibility to have the proper procedures and policies in place to protect itself. There are certainly dishonest people out there, but I don't think the OP is one of them from what I've read here.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • andertrr said:
    Bar codes are generic. If it's sealed and not expired, you probably won't have a problem. Wal-Mart is really good about taking stuff back.
    I don't know if this is true...I remember trying to return diapers at target once and they wouldn't take some... I guess it's worth a try though.
    I don't know for sure, but maybe it was a brand/size of package that the store didn't carry? I do know that the PLU on any, say, 54 pack of Pampers Baby Dry size 3 diapers is the same (barring the rebranding that they recently did which may have changed it.)
    Grace0609 said:

I didn't realize/think about WIC and baby food.... That turns my stomach that someone would return food for her baby for a little pocket cash. But I just want to say that I had several packs of unopened diapers that we received as gifts that R never got to wear. They were all perfectly good. I took them to the customer service counter at Target and said, "we received these diapers as gifts and my baby can't wear them. Can I exchange these here for a bigger size?" The guy asked me if we're from Target and I said that I wasn't sure where they were from. He took them back to problem, gave me a gift card for the amount, and I used it to buy diapers in a larger size. And actually, I remember several conversations going on in this forum about where to exchange diapers. At no point were those people chastised for being "thieves". Just sayin. I agree that it's good to be honest with the people when you return it, but if you aren't trying to be unethical, there's nothing wrong with trying if it's a perfectly good product that the store can re-sell. Like a pp, I think it's the store's responsibility to have the proper procedures and policies in place to protect itself. There are certainly dishonest people out there, but I don't think the OP is one of them from what I've read here.
    Of course to have an honest conversation and return a product is not stealing.  But a lot of these post above sound like scamming the system and sneaking stuff back into a store where you know you didn't buy it, under the radar, because you lost your receipt or something, and I think that's dirty.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002 said:
    Of course to have an honest conversation and return a product is not stealing.  But a lot of these post above sound like scamming the system and sneaking stuff back into a store where you know you didn't buy it, under the radar, because you lost your receipt or something, and I think that's dirty.
    Please point out where someone in this thread said that.

• JSS1002 said:

As I have stated approimately a million times, anytime you knowingly return something to a store where you KNOW you didn't buy it, I think that is scamming the sytem and sneaking things back into the store, and I can't believe that people don't actually agree that this is completely wrong.

Unless, like Pinot mentioned above, you have a conversation like "hey, I'm not sure I bought these here, buy can you take them back?" 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • JSS1002 said:
    JSS1002 said:

As I have stated approimately a million times, anytime you knowingly return something to a store where you KNOW you didn't buy it, I think that is scamming the sytem and sneaking things back into the store, and I can't believe that people don't actually agree that this is completely wrong.

Unless, like Pinot mentioned above, you have a conversation like "hey, I'm not sure I bought these here, buy can you take them back?" 

I know you've said -that- a million times, but I am wondering which posts make you really believe someone is trying to do something under the radar or as you put it "sneaking" items back into the store?

• JSS1002 said:
    JSS1002 said:

I know you've said -that- a million times, but I am wondering which posts make you really believe someone is trying to do something under the radar or as you put it "sneaking" items back into the store?
    By definition, I think that returning a product to a store where yo uknow you did not buy it, without openly telling a clerk that you didn't buy it there, is sneaking and scamming.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Lol... who is telling who to not tell the clerk the truth?

• JSS1002 said:
    The OP. Wasn't that the point of her post?

BFP #2: 11-7-14, CP (BFN: 11-13-14)

BFP #3: 3/24/15 EDD: 12/5/15

• hatroopes said:
    JSS1002 said:
    No. The point of her post was to ask if the stores took returned food.

• hatroopes said:
    JSS1002 said:

No. The point of her post was to ask if the stores took returned food.

Noooooo the point of her post was to ask if barcodes were generic and would work "anywhere" because she didn't know where she bought it.  And then I was surprised to hear/see so many acknowledging this as an accepted practice.  To me it is not. But I might have too much personal investment in this topic. 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @jss1002. Off topic but any chance cartwheel and mobile coupons might be combine in one place one day? People hate me at the checking cause the wifi is sooooo slow and I have to pull up 3 sites for coupons. Shopkick is a bigger pain cause each coupon is seperate but add that to cartwheel and the mobile coupons and I get dirty looks lol.

• @jss1002. Off topic but any chance cartwheel and mobile coupons might be combine in one place one day? People hate me at the checking cause the wifi is sooooo slow and I have to pull up 3 sites for coupons. Shopkick is a bigger pain cause each coupon is seperate but add that to cartwheel and the mobile coupons and I get dirty looks lol.

Probably yes, but I don't know for sure.  Make sure you are using the Target Wifi and not 3G and pull up Cartwheel LONG befroe you get to checkout (I had this same issue last night).

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • cece2682 said:
    Yea I admit there were a few things we needed to return and we knew they most likely either came from babies r us or buy buy baby, so we tried first store and babies r us actually said some did not come from them after scanning the barcode. Now we were honest and said these were gifts, no receipts, could you tell us if they were purchased here. But even if they couldn't tell if it came from their store and accepted them I would say score! Because who wants to go driving around store to store standing on customer service lines. Not this girl! And if I had items and I had no idea where they came from, but knew a certain store sold them, like Walmart, I would go and try to return and get store credit. I don't think that makes me a bad person. But I can see if you work in that field that it would piss you off. You're personally invested. And most are not.
    It isn't entirely about my personal investment though.  I just wouldn't do that. I wouldn't try to return a product anywhere else than where it came from.  Shrug.  Seems unethical to me.

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • NicoleSB80NicoleSB80 member
    edited October 2013
    JSS1002 said:

@jss1002. Off topic but any chance cartwheel and mobile coupons might be combine in one place one day? People hate me at the checking cause the wifi is sooooo slow and I have to pull up 3 sites for coupons. Shopkick is a bigger pain cause each coupon is seperate but add that to cartwheel and the mobile coupons and I get dirty looks lol.

Probably yes, but I don't know for sure.  Make sure you are using the Target Wifi and not 3G and pull up Cartwheel LONG befroe you get to checkout (I had this same issue last night).

Sometimes I take a screenshot on my iPhone of the barcodes before leaving at home. When I remember that I the fastest.

• andertrr said:

If I'm considered dirty for trying to return some diapers that I got as gifts (had an overabundance of newborn size), knowing that they PROBABLY didn't all come from target, then so be it.  What was the worst that was going to happen, they wouldn't take some, and I gave them to my friend, rather than trying to figure out where they came from.  I guess that makes me lazy too.  

This thread seriously cracks me up!  
    Omg for real right?! It's not like I STOLE baby food and am trying to return it for profit. I'm a FTM who got excited about buying baby food, bought it from different stores, bought way to much and didn't think I'd need my receipt, and need to take some back. NO stores give u cash for a return without a receipt! I would just get a store credit. Once again, everyone needs to CHILL OUT! Thanks to the mom's who understand what I'm trying to say and aren't going bananas over this thread!

• nahw said:
    If I'm considered dirty for trying to return some diapers that I got as gifts (had an overabundance of newborn size), knowing that they PROBABLY didn't all come from target, then so be it.  What was the worst that was going to happen, they wouldn't take some, and I gave them to my friend, rather than trying to figure out where they came from.  I guess that makes me lazy too.  

This thread seriously cracks me up!  
    Omg for real right?! It's not like I STOLE baby food and am trying to return it for profit. I'm a FTM who got excited about buying baby food, bought it from different stores, bought way to much and didn't think I'd need my receipt, and need to take some back. NO stores give u cash for a return without a receipt! I would just get a store credit. Once again, everyone needs to CHILL OUT! Thanks to the mom's who understand what I'm trying to say and aren't going bananas over this thread!
    @NAHW, hey, I didn't mean to attack you -- I think this thread got way out of control.  I understand it was an innocent question.  But as a generality, I was asked my opinion on this, and I gave it.  I hope you're not mad at me or offended, because I certainly wasn't trying to call you out -- more just commenting on the general way that the thread went, with people commenting about returning stuff wherever was more conveninent, etc. 

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"