3rd Trimester
Options

Shingles?

Anyone experience during pregnancy? Newly pregnant and fairly certain I have them (again).

Re: Shingles?

• Options
    My ob doesn't even know I'm pregnant yet and I literally just got them overnight. Thanks!
    Anna Kate 10.17.2009 Alexander 6.10.2011 Baby Girl 6.2014
  • Options
    I really do not think you know what shingles is....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why? What in my post makes you think that? I've had them before, diagnosed by my dermatologist when I was 27. I'm not 100% sure they are shingles, but the symptoms feel very similar to last time. I was just looking to see if any ladies here experienced them in their pregnancy.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    OMG! No, you have no idea what you are talking about. Shingles is a virus caused by the chickenpox virus.
  • Options
    OMG! No, you have no idea what you are talking about. Shingles is a deadly virus caused by the chickenpox virus.
    Seriously, is this a joke?!
  • Options
    OMG! No, you have no idea what you are talking about. Shingles is a deadly virus caused by the chickenpox virus.

What are you talking about?

Shingles is caused by the varicella-zoster virus — the same virus that causes chickenpox. After you've had chickenpox, the virus lies inactive in nerve tissue near your spinal cord and brain. Years later, the virus may reactivate as shingles.

• Options
    And I did use the word "deadly" to describe it because there are some serious complications that can arrive from having it as well as the possibility of passing chickenpox onto someone else. That in itself is deadly depending on who the person catching it is. 
  • Options
    Yes, and it can be deadly if you are old and have a weakened immune system, but younger people can get it to . It isn't like MRSA. So what does your copy and paste have anything to do with doubting I don't know what I am talking about?
  • Options
    &milo said:
    Anyone experience during pregnancy? Newly pregnant and fairly certain I have them (again).

My ob doesn't even know I'm pregnant yet and I literally just got them overnight. Thanks!

You have two accounts?

Yup.
  • Options
    Yes, and it can be deadly if you are old and have a weakened immune system, but younger people can get it to . It isn't like MRSA. So what does your copy and paste have anything to do with doubting I don't know what I am talking about?
    You said you had it again which is rare. You said you had it at 27 which is rare. And you DO have a weakened immune system if you are pregnant.
  • Options
    So how does
    You said you had it again which is rare. You said you had it at 27 which is rare. And you DO have a weakened immune system if you are pregnant.

So what does this have anything to do with you being rude and assuming I don't know what I have? You should have just stayed out of the post instead of being rude and trying to stir s*** up. I was asking if other women experienced it. Thanks for educating me through your c&p though!
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    So how does

So what does this have anything to do with you being rude and assuming I don't know what I have? You should have just stayed out of the post instead of being rude and trying to stir s*** up. I was asking if other women experienced it. Thanks for educating me through your c&p though!

It is going to be hard to find someone else that had it while pregnant because again, it is rare in someone less than 60 years old, let alone someone that is also pregnant. Since you are pregnant with shingles (as you say) you are at increased risk for serious pneumonia. You really need to get ahold of you doctor so any risks to you or your baby are minimized.

ETA: And yes, I questioned if you really knew what you were talking about because getting it more than once, under the age of 60, and while pregnant are all rare on their own but then to have all 3 together, while still possible, is very unlikely. It would be more likely that someone was mistaking a name for what they were talking about or misdiagnosing themselves.

• Options
    The virus puts you at an increased risk of miscarriage. Esp in first tri. But since you've had both pox & shingles it may not affect you as much.

It is rare in pregnancy.

You can infect someone who hasn't had chicken pox before. So tell ur OB what's going on, they may not want you in the office.
  • Options

I had shingles when I was 28. I was really stressed and dealing with my son's six month sleep regression. Stress and weakened immunity can bring it on. The only symptom for me was a painful rash. No fever or anything. I took an antibiotic and used a lidocaine patch and it went away. Getting it this young or twice is rare but clearly not impossible. And it is not a "deadly" virus. OP, call your doctor because I don't know if there are any complications with being pregnant.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I had shingles when I was 28. I was really stressed and dealing with my son's six month sleep regression. Stress and weakened immunity can bring it on. The only symptom for me was a painful rash. No fever or anything. I took an antibiotic and used a lidocaine patch and it went away. Getting it this young or twice is rare but clearly not impossible. And it is not a "deadly" virus. OP, call your doctor because I don't know if there are any complications with being pregnant.

This is how it presented last time, nothing serious just uncomfortable and annoying. Thanks for the response. I will, of course, reach out to my office on Monday to see what they say, and well, tell them I'm pregnant. I'm really early so there was no rush to tell them previously. I suspect the medications are probably different or even limited in pregnancy so I'm sure some of it will be waiting for it to just go away. Thanks again for all the reasonable responses!
  • Options
    Again, I'm going to recommend contacting a health care professional, be it your OB, family prac or an urgent care center ASAP; pretty sure there are serious complications with fetuses exposed to the varicella virus in early pregnancy. But now I'm confused about your MRSA remark? Young people can't get it? Or it's not deadly? Or what?
    I was saying it is not like pp mentioned- highly deadly, etc and I was saying shingles is only deadly for the really sick and usually older people kind of like the flu can be deadly for sickly people. I mentioned MRSa because I was claiming it was not like MRSA. Young people can get shingles as you noticed pps. It's not super common, but it don't think rare. I know a college kid that got it. Of course I will be calling ob. I wasn't looking for a diagnosis, just others with experience. Thanks
  • Options
    https://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1110.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=137#close

If you get shingles when you’re pregnant, it’s usually mild and there’s no risk to you or your baby.

HOWEVER, you do want to be evaluated by your OB, like yesterday.  They may need to start you on some medication and give you important medical advice.  You should also call before going in because they may not want you sitting in the waiting room.  You do pose a risk to other pregnant women who are not immune to VZV.  Chicken pox during pregnancy IS very dangerous and if a pregnant women is not immune to VZV, your shingles could give them chicken pox.  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm lurking... Why are you on the 3rd tri board if your OB doesn't even know your pregnant??

It's "you're".

And yes, YOU'RE welcome ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    So how does

It is going to be hard to find someone else that had it while pregnant because again, it is rare in someone less than 60 years old, let alone someone that is also pregnant. Since you are pregnant with shingles (as you say) you are at increased risk for serious pneumonia. You really need to get ahold of you doctor so any risks to you or your baby are minimized.

ETA: And yes, I questioned if you really knew what you were talking about because getting it more than once, under the age of 60, and while pregnant are all rare on their own but then to have all 3 together, while still possible, is very unlikely. It would be more likely that someone was mistaking a name for what they were talking about or misdiagnosing themselves.

Eh, why get a hold of her doctor?  You've done an excellent job of diagnosing her as misdiagnosing herself.  Maybe you are clairvoyant.  How's that for a diagnosis?!?!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Yes, and it can be deadly if you are old and have a weakened immune system, but younger people can get it to . It isn't like MRSA.
    So what does your copy and paste have anything to do with doubting I don't know what I am talking about?

Just a note... In pregnancy, your immune system is weakened as well so it makes it pretty dangerous for pregnant women as well from what I understand.
  • Options
    Actually getting shingles again is VERY common. And Shingles are just as detrimental to young people. And yes, a dermatologist can diagnose them. Many young people only have a small spot or two and assume it is a rash. The biggest issue is valtrex is the most common treatment and is not listed in a 'safe' category for pregnant people. Not to say you can't take it, but it has possible side effects.
    And since when did people feel it was ok to just bash other people? There are some true bullies on this forum.
  • Options
    MrsBartlebyMrsBartleby member
    edited October 2013
    Hi there. Looks like I'm a little late to the party but I wanted to share some information since I was diagnosed with shingles during my first pregnancy. I had a rash and horrendous nerve pain that I can only liken to someone holding a lit match to my skin. Although it's rare, you can get shingles in pregnancy if you've ever had chicken pox since, as someone stated earlier, the virus stays dormant in your body and can resurface as shingles any time in your life (but I want to stress that it's still very, very rare except in the elderly). It's really no big deal besides the excruciating nerve pain, of course! My doctor prescribed me an anti-viral medication and it cleared up just fine. Just to clarify an earlier post, shingles is NOT deadly to your baby! Goodness! But you have the best outcome when you catch it and treat it within a couple of days of onset.  

Edit: BTW - getting shingles after having it once is not rare and since the OP has had it before, I'm sure she knows what she has - it's not really something you can mistake for something else once you've had it. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"