Baby Showers

most important registry item?

What would you make priority on your registry list? I want to make sure I'm not leaving the really important stuff out! Especially nice to hear from 2nd...etc timers!

TIA 

Re: most important registry item?

• What do you mean by "priority"? Just items that we made sure to get on there? Pretty much everything is for us--my husband starts optometry school when the baby is about 6 months old so we're broke--so to make sure we didn't get alot of "wants" and not alot of "needs" we made sure to leave most of the "fun stuff" (toys and unnecessary clothing) off the registry so that ppl wouldn't go for that instead of bottles, diapers, the boppy, etc. After we've gotten all that stuff, we might go back and add more interesting items : ) We did add a few toys like teethers and a couple baby einstein toys, but that's about it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Like the other pp said I would register for "needs".  Big and little things.  Go on the parenting board and ask this question...they've really been through it.  Ask what their "needs" would be....like the top 20 (depending on how big your shower is).  Dont' put on toys, teethers, etc because you will get those anyway.  Some people like to decorate packages with them.  For my niece's shower they asked that instead of cards to make it a book instead.  She had quite a library and quite truthfully the books weren't anymore expensive than a card!
  • Loading the player...
  • This is our second but DS is almost 5 so we don't have anything that we need. I registered for a lot of "needs" with him but found that a lot of people bought clothes and toys anyway b/c they are more fun to shop for. I would focus on the necessities, even if they're expensive- some people will pitch in and give big ticket items together. Also, try to let whoever's hosting your shower know that if anyone asks about what you need to try to hint to them to stick to the registry and focus on the necessities.
  • Extra crib sheets,bottles,diapers and diaper cream along with all the bid ticket items stroller pack n play etc.
  • Ditto pp's on putting the needs on there and big ticket items. I know some people feel bad having higher priced items - but people do go in together on things - so having larger ticket items is helpful (imo).

Some essential items for us:

Boppy with two covers

Bumbo

Extra car seat base

Swing

Bouncy chair

PNP

Onesies in all sizes

Crib sheets

Baby Oxy Clean

Butt Paste diaper cream

Baby Motrin/Tylenol

Monitor

Baby Bjorn

I was also very grateful for the large boxes of diaper wipes that we got

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If you say you won't be "broke" until 6 months after having the baby, you might want to focus on items you'll need then, like a high chair, convertible car seat, and maybe a walker/exercauser even though most of those are like a 4-6 month time frame. Also, limit it to needs and not wants.

I felt like I "needed" everything with my first, and spent TONS of money, but here's was we actually used the most:

-swaddle blankets (bought used while pregnant)

-FP papasan swing

-FP papasan bouncer

-Advent bottles (I bought used and just bought new nipples)

-FP Space Saver Highchair

-Exersaucer (the cheap non music playing one for $30 used)

-bibs, onesies, few pacis, sippy cups, diaper cream, wipes, diapers, forehead thermometer, brush, nail clipper (the smaller stuff)

-nice/sturdy stroller/car seat combo (we got the peg perego pliko p3 and liked it) - but we would have been fine with a graco car seat and the frame stroller (we got this for my mom) and then getting a nice umbrella stroller at 4 months or so

and really that's about it. Didn't use monitor, boppy (pillow worked better for me), bumbo seat, wipe warmer, pack n'play, expensive diaper bag, diaper champ, etc.

And if this is an option, you may want to cinsider cloth diapering. We are doing this with our second and we'll save a lot of money. I've been learning all about it on the EFF board. Not a hippy thing at all like I had thought.....and the only cost at 6 months really, will be washing the diapers! GL!

• imagehopefulmom:
    Like the other pp said I would register for "needs".  Big and little things.  Go on the parenting board and ask this question...they've really been through it.  Ask what their "needs" would be....like the top 20 (depending on how big your shower is).  Dont' put on toys, teethers, etc because you will get those anyway.  Some people like to decorate packages with them.  For my niece's shower they asked that instead of cards to make it a book instead.  She had quite a library and quite truthfully the books weren't anymore expensive than a card!

I think this is just such a great idea!!  I am going to tell my sister-in-law my request for this haha :)

• After the shower is over, I'd go over the list and figure out what you need new (as in for safety reasons) and what you could purchase at a second hand store. You'd be surprised how immaculate some things are at these stores and how willing some owners are to alert you if something comes in that you are in search of.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"