Working Moms

non-profit working moms

I am thinking of moving into the non-profit sector.  I have been in the private and now government sectors.  I really want to do something more meaningful and think this might be a good way to do so.  What kind of things do you like/dislike about your job?  What kind of job do you have?  What kind of degrees do you need to be in your field?  any other info is great.  TIA!

Re: non-profit working moms

• I work in non-profit. I love it but the pay is generally lower and benefits, etc, as well.  Saying that, its a pretty laid back atmosphere and my hours are flexible. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I have worked in non-profits for years and I love it.  I enjoy the 'making a difference' aspect.  I love that profit is not our bottom line.  I love the atmosphere.  I love that my coworkers were drawn to the job because they have a genuine compassion for people.   I dislike that I will, forever, make less money then people with a similar degree working in the private sector.  That being said, I certainly make enough money to support my family.  I'm a Social Worker with a Master's degree and provide case management services to the elderly.

Good luck to you!

• Loading the player...
  • I just got a job working in the non-profit sector, and transferred from a sales position. I start in January. The pay is less, but my hours are going to be more flexible, they are allowing me to work from home a few days a week after the baby is born. I'm psyched to be working towards a good cause, as I've been working for such a superficial one for a long time.

I am going to be allowed a lot more creative liberty at this position, which really excites me. I have a bachelor's in business/marketing, and will be an events coordinator and volunteer trainer, my technical title is "Community Director."

• I work in higher ed, which is a non profit sector. It can be similar to government jobs in some ways in terms of the bureaucracy. The pay will never be as high as corporate, but the atmosphere is so much more relaxed. I love the work I do because I love working with the students. The school I'm at now doesn't have the greatest benefits, but others I've been at have had really good ones, along with vacation & sick days as well as holidays, which can compensate for the salary. I honestly can't imagine working in a corporate environment so it's a good thing I hope to stick with this field for a while.
  • imagellcyr:
    I work in higher ed, which is a non profit sector. It can be similar to government jobs in some ways in terms of the bureaucracy. The pay will never be as high as corporate, but the atmosphere is so much more relaxed. I love the work I do because I love working with the students. The school I'm at now doesn't have the greatest benefits, but others I've been at have had really good ones, along with vacation & sick days as well as holidays, which can compensate for the salary. I honestly can't imagine working in a corporate environment so it's a good thing I hope to stick with this field for a while.

My DH is in higher ed.  We actually met while working at a university (I worked for corporate food services, so it really was the best of both worlds).  I miss it so much.  :( I had to leave when we moved for his job.  I've not been happy since I left. 

• I'm a writer for an international NGO.  I have worked in the non-profit sector my entire career.  I have an M.A.

I love what I do and when I get frustrated for whatever reason (lower pay, regular work annoyances), it is tempered by the knowledge that I am helping people.

Although the pay is lower, the benefits are excellent:  flexible hours (I now work p/t), generous vacation, 403b match, highly subsidized health insurance, smart & dedicated colleagues, etc.

• I work in a non-profit as a social worker.  I have an MSW and state license.  (However, there are many jobs within my agency that don't require this).  Honestly, I'm a little down on the non-profit world right now... In addition to poor pay, the benefits SUCK (they just stopped paying into our retirement... and they weren't contributing much to begin with, I have friends in both the govt and private sector who get more vacation time) the flexibility is not always there... my employer was very flexible and family friendly a few years ago... now they have much more of a business mindset and really aren't family friendly at all (no flexibility on maternity leave time (and it's all unpaid, mind you, so could I please have 2 more weeks?), we are switching to basically a time-punch-clock system - even for salaried professionals, workload demands are crazy, etc.). 

It could be just my employer but really, I don't think it is a great time to be in a nonprofit - with funding concerns come greater demands on a smaller workforce.  And depending on the type of nonprofit, the workload can be stressful (high-risk populations like abusive families, substance abusers, homeless, etc.) - but that depends really on the field.  Sorry to be so negative but I want people to realize it can be tough!  One good thing about the field is that there can be a lot of opportunities to grow and develop professionally.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"