C-sections

Mother/Baby Friendly C/S

I am having a RCS in April. I have seen a few things on the Internet about a Mother/Baby Friendly C/S. I love this concept. Has anyone actually had this experience with where the baby was placed on your chest immediately after delivery? Was your dr open to the idea? I read this can increase your chance of breastfeeding successfully and decrease your risk of PPD. I struggled with breastfeeding and PPD last time so I would love to try this.
happily married since 2009, SAHM
diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016

Re: Mother/Baby Friendly C/S

• I delivered 12 days ago. My baby was placed on my chest within 2-3 mins after she checked out healthy. I got to do skin to skin all while they were stitching me up. My husband carried her from OR to recovery, and I got to breastfeed then. I was very happy with the hospital that I delivered at.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think I would have trusted myself to have my babies on my chest but they were given to DH right away and I was able to touch and kiss them. They rode out of the OR on my legs and I breastfed in recovery. When I gave the ok they were taken to the nursery to be weighed and cleaned up. I was very happy with my experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD2 was placed on my chest a few min after a quick check...and I held her all the way to recovery and was able to breastfeed.  After I was done in recovery I had my husband go with them to clean her up while I was taken to my room.  I was very pleased with how things went.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I semi had that. Both times my girls were brought to the warming table first to be wiped down and checked but both of them were on my chest in my arms within 5 min of being born. I was able to hold them for a few min and get some photos and then they were taken to the nursery for weight and checkups. I was taken to recovery and both times my girls were back with me within 20 min and I started BFing in recovery room. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had an emergency c section but asked about this and they said no. However I was able to nuzzle LO when DH brought her over I could kiss and talk to her. Then while I was getting stitched up DH did skin to skin with her and I started BFing in recovery room. Not ideal but it ended up working very well and LO had no problems with BFing

-My step-daughter is 12 years old.

-BFP #1 on 9/2/12, D&C 10/18/12 no heartbeat on US @ 10 weeks.

-BFP #2 on 1/7/13, R was born on 9/22/13 via C-Section

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you everyone for your input. I am going to ask my doctor at my next appt 1) if this is even a option? & 2) if it is, how does it usually work? I would love to do this as long as it safe to do. :)
    happily married since 2009, SAHM
    diagnosed with unexplained infertility, regular cycles
    Baby #1: ttc naturally for 3 years, 6 yr old daughter
    Baby #2: ttc naturally for 2 years, 2 yr old son
    Baby #3: ttc naturally since August 2016
  • Mine was close- they checked her quickly and swaddled but told DH to hold her next to my cheek for some skin to skin. I would not have been comfortable with her on my chest with still on the table. Once I was on stretcher, I held her as the moved me to recovery. LC was waiting there, she was nursing within 20 min of birth. Never left my side. A lot has to do with hospital- some are more family friendly than others.

• . DH and I didn't want the drapes lowered when DD was delivered. So my Ob carried her around so we could see her, then DH went with DD to the corner of the OR where she was checked by the neonatal team then they brought her back and put her on my chest. The whole thing took about 3min from delivery time to baby doing skin-to-skin. At that point they untied one of my hands so I could hold her and told DH to hold her the entire time she was on my chest, I was way too out of it to be responsible for keeping her safe. We stayed about 30min in the OR while they were wrapping up the surgery. Then DD went in the bassinet, DH pushed her to the recovery room. She came back on my chest and nursed. Then she got some skin-to-skin time with DH while we were waiting in recovery.
  • My first was a ER-C/S and I didn't get that mommy/baby time. I spent 2 hours alone in recovery while my husband and baby where in the nursery. I was young and unfamiliar I wasn't happy about our experience at that hospital or w. that doctor.

My 2nd I had a new excellent doctor and different hospital. I explained to them how i'd like my RCS to differ from my 1st and they assured me it would. Baby was born, dad cut the cord, took her to the warming table and helped clean her up ect. I got to hold her w. my husbands help as they finished the surgery and he pushed her in the bassinet back to our room. They did a few more quick routine things and she spent the rest of the afternoon skin to skin w. me & nursing, she spent a total of 15 minutes away from me after birth and only left my side once in the hospital for a quick trip to the nursery for routine blood work, my husband went w. & never left her side :)

I have the same doctor and hospital again this time around w. #3 and hope to have the same experience. I even requested the same anesthesiologist this time again since he was amazing! (and it's only been 15months since I had #2, so he's still there!)
  • Our hospital actually encourages this whenever possible. I wasn't able to hold mine right after delivery but that was due to having twins via c/s who had trouble breathing initially and then I was having lots of nausea with the meds. DH held them up close to me though and we had "face cuddle" time while I got stitched up. My hands were unrestrained within minutes so I could touch them too. They were put skin-to-skin and started nursing as soon as I was moved into recovery less than 40 minutes later.
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • My first C/S was scheduled and I initially asked to at least see her before they cleaned her up and ideally hold her first. My OB was on board and I told the the attending pedi in the OR how important it was to me when she introduced herself. She was awesome and as soon as DD was out they put her on my chest and cleaned her there. A few minutes later they moved her to the warmer and wrapped her up and then brought her back to DH. Unfortunately my hospital won't do newborn care in the OR because they say it's too cold, so DH went with her to the nursery. They brought her to me in recovery within 45min to BF, but she had some blood sugar issues so after I fed her I didn't see her for a couple of hours. I already told my OB I'd like to request the same pedi for my RCS in Feb.
    photo d55cd10d-0c40-4454-aba7-d1fb776cb4ff_zpsd847719c.jpg

Married my love 6/11/11 | MMC 10/11/11 | Eliza Frances born 9/18/12 | Rhett Garland born 2/24/14 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• They did this for me. I was feeling nauseous so I didn't enjoy it. The staff was taking pictures and you could tell I wasn't comfortable. I hope my rcs in 21 days goes better. Good luck!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"