July 2013 Moms
Options

Hip dysplasia

Well, Ian is in a brace for his minor hip dysplasia. I'm bummed, but I'm thankful that we have good insurance and we can get it taken care of while he's young. Anyone have any experience with this? Especially how to dress him!
Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Hip dysplasia

• Options
    No experience, but hope it's only needed for a short time!
  • Options
    DD has this. She was put into the brace for 23 hours a day at 2 months. When we went back 4 weeks later, her hips were corrected so we are night use only. We go next week and I am hoping to be done for good. I was lucky that DD was in the brace during the warm weather because dressing her in warm clothes was going to be tough. They told me to dress her in outfits that I could do diaper changes without taking the brace off so no pants or footed pajamas. She wore short sleeve and long sleeve onsies when she was in it full time. For bed, I do a long sleeve onsie and a sleep sack over it. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Penelope just got out of hers yesterday.  In terms of dressing for colder weather, we just made sure to put a blanket over her upper legs whenever we went out.  We had to take the brace off every time we dressed her.  When it was put on originally, the guy marked where the straps covered the plastic rectangular "loop" parts (I attached a couple of pictures that better show what I mean) so that we'd be able to undo the arm and front leg straps and redo them.  We were told not to touch the back leg straps.  At her second appt. w/the ortho. we asked for a second brace, since it's hard to keep it clean, and with her only being allowed out of it for an hr. a day, and it having to drip dry, we basically needed at least two.  Also at her second appointment, we found out one side was completely healed, and the other was almost there. :)  At her last appointment, she was completely healed, but he wanted us to wait 'til she had been in it 6weeks 'til we took her out.
  • Options
    My older dd had dysplasia and was in a brace 24 hours a day for 6 months.....as far as dressing, what type if brace is it? My dd was in an abduction brace which was hard plastic with a metal bar as her left hip was completely dislocating......

Being diligent with the bracing is key.....it's hard to have them in it, but hopefully it will correct quickly. My dd is now a fantastic little gymnast with great flexibility and no foreseeable issues with her hips. Good luck

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD has this. She was put into the brace for 23 hours a day at 2 months. When we went back 4 weeks later, her hips were corrected so we are night use only. We go next week and I am hoping to be done for good. I was lucky that DD was in the brace during the warm weather because dressing her in warm clothes was going to be tough. They told me to dress her in outfits that I could do diaper changes without taking the brace off so no pants or footed pajamas. She wore short sleeve and long sleeve onsies when she was in it full time. For bed, I do a long sleeve onsie and a sleep sack over it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks. I think since the weather is getting colder he might end up in a sleep sack for a good portion of the day! We still swaddle his arms, so this is really going to be an adventure.
    Penelope just got out of hers yesterday.  In terms of dressing for colder weather, we just made sure to put a blanket over her upper legs whenever we went out.  We had to take the brace off every time we dressed her.  When it was put on originally, the guy marked where the straps covered the plastic rectangular "loop" parts (I attached a couple of pictures that better show what I mean) so that we'd be able to undo the arm and front leg straps and redo them.  We were told not to touch the back leg straps.  At her second appt. w/the ortho. we asked for a second brace, since it's hard to keep it clean, and with her only being allowed out of it for an hr. a day, and it having to drip dry, we basically needed at least two.  Also at her second appointment, we found out one side was completely healed, and the other was almost there. :)  At her last appointment, she was completely healed, but he wanted us to wait 'til she had been in it 6weeks 'til we took her out.

Great idea about the second brace! Did your insurance cover the second one? I'm so worried because Ian has horrible reflux, so that thing is going to get covered.
    Mom to Jacob, Henry and Ian Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Laurendag said:
    No experience but thankfully they are correcting it. Somehow I went 15yrs without them catching it. They probably never would have if I hadn't collapsed from pain at school one day.
    That's awful!  One of d.h.'s co-worker's wasn't caught either and I think she's had two hip surgeries.
  • Options
    No experience but thankfully they are correcting it. Somehow I went 15yrs without them catching it. They probably never would have if I hadn't collapsed from pain at school one day.
    Oh goodness, can they fix it now?
  • Options
    Mrs JillBMrs JillB member
    edited October 2013
    My older dd had dysplasia and was in a brace 24 hours a day for 6 months.....as far as dressing, what type if brace is it? My dd was in an abduction brace which was hard plastic with a metal bar as her left hip was completely dislocating...... Being diligent with the bracing is key.....it's hard to have them in it, but hopefully it will correct quickly. My dd is now a fantastic little gymnast with great flexibility and no foreseeable issues with her hips. Good luck
    It's good to hear a success story! Thanks. Eta because it posted before I was done. He's in a pavlik harness, so it's fairly soft.
  • Options
    You poor thing! It does make me feel a little better that we're getting on this at such an early age.
  • Options
    Mrs JillB said:

Thanks. I think since the weather is getting colder he might end up in a sleep sack for a good portion of the day! We still swaddle his arms, so this is really going to be an adventure.

Great idea about the second brace! Did your insurance cover the second one? I'm so worried because Ian has horrible reflux, so that thing is going to get covered.
    Have you tried the Halo sleep sacks?  They have cotton and fleece ones.  You can swaddle with arms in or out.  

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  Glad they were able to catch it.  Hopefully everything gets better quickly!
    After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
    Born 7/30/13
  • Options
    Mrs JillB said:
    Yup!  I was worried about d.d. spitting up too.  There were times when d.h. would be going to hand her to me for a diaper change and he'd be like, "O no!", and I'd say, "What?" and look, and there it'd be.  Then one of us would be dashing for the burp cloth we forgot.  We learned to keep a burp cloth on us during diaper changes after feedings.  After we got the second brace it wasn't that big of a deal.
  • Options
    Hopefully he can wear mostly regular clothes under the harness, I don't have any experience with that brace.....my only thing to keep an eye on is to make sure that clothing does not get bunched up in one area, you don't want any pressure areas.....this was an issue with our brace because of how it fastened over her legs......
    @laurendag.....that's terrible that you had to go through all that.....I think that they didn't use to screen babies like they do now, I'm sure I had dysplasia as I already have osteoarthritis in both hips.......

Karen - 36      DH - 39

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Stina2012Stina2012 member
    edited October 2013
    No experience but a long sleeved onesie and leg warmers would be super cute. Poor Ian. Give him some extra snuggies!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Poor little guy - hopefully he won't have to be in it for too long!
  • Options
    Dd2 didn't get her hips dysplasia found until she was 15 months. It was caught "early" in terms of those of you who didn't have it found for years. Yikes!
    dd2 was in the rhino brace. It is a harder plastic that went around her waist/hips. I was so mad it took them that long to find it as dd2 had JUST started walking. She did learn how to walk in it, so that was good.

Dd2 is now nearly 5 and her hips are much better! Dd2 was able to wear dresses and such. I don't know what you would put a boy in.

Could you try sweat pants a little bigger and stretch over the brace? That's so tricky.
  • Options
    No experience but I wanted to tell you I'm thinking about you. It's great that its getting taken care of now!

Baby girl #1 7/11/13

Baby girl #2 4/30/15

Baby Boy Due 2/16/19!

• Options
    rooter84 said:
    Dd2 didn't get her hips dysplasia found until she was 15 months. It was caught "early" in terms of those of you who didn't have it found for years. Yikes! dd2 was in the rhino brace. It is a harder plastic that went around her waist/hips. I was so mad it took them that long to find it as dd2 had JUST started walking. She did learn how to walk in it, so that was good. Dd2 is now nearly 5 and her hips are much better! Dd2 was able to wear dresses and such. I don't know what you would put a boy in. Could you try sweat pants a little bigger and stretch over the brace? That's so tricky.

So far I've just been putting him in a long sleeve onesies and then putting a sleep sack over him. Trying to keep him warm is hard!
  • Options
    I've got a DD who's in a pavlik harness as well. She's been in it since 3 weeks and we go next week (15 weeks) to hopefully reduce our hours (23.5/day currently). We just went through our winter here in the Southern Hemisphere so I always kept her in long sleeved onsies with blankets. I generally went up a size as well so that the leg holes weren't as tight on the brace. If you can manage to get a second brace I would. Between spit ups and poop its impossible to keep clean for long but our ortho ok'd us having it off for longer periods if need be since we couldn't get a second brace from the hospital (public healthcare). Hopefully you little one has a smooth transition. If you have any other questions, hth
  • Options
    JuDanzy.com sells baby leggings for fairly reasonable ($5 on sale) and they make diaper changes a dream.
  • Options
    michwalk said:
    JuDanzy.com sells baby leggings for fairly reasonable ($5 on sale) and they make diaper changes a dream.
    I bought from here last week and love them!  
    TTC since 2008, our little miracle arrived July 2013!

photo fe6a27e4-de39-4f30-81f0-14bbf2fc509c.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommend on the leggings. We have lots of babylegs, but I can't put them over the brace with the way the straps are and since he's really only supposed to be out of it to bathe, I don't want to put them under in case he gets warm. So far I'm sticking him in sleep sacks all of the time and they're doing a good job of keeping the straps of the harness dry too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"