Alabama Babies

Natural/Med free birth in Dothan, AL-Looking for a midwife or doula!

mommasteelemommasteele member
edited October 2013 in Alabama Babies

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has used a midwife or doula in or around the Dothan, AL area. I'm currently using Flowers Hospital and even though I love both the hospital and my Dr...I'm worried about what my birth will be like. With my first pregnancy, I was not allowed to get out of the bed and my Dr (I've got a new Dr now) and nurses strongly pushed an epidural on me. With this pregnancy, I want a natural/med free birth. I'm going to talk to my new Dr and see if she is different than the Dr that delivered my son. Hopefully she'll tell me that I'll be able to move around the room and use a birth ball...BUT, if she doesn't, i'm going to start looking for a midwife or a doula. Please let me know!

P.S. Please ignore my signature and badges...I have NO IDEA how to change/delete them!

Re: Natural/Med free birth in Dothan, AL-Looking for a midwife or doula!

• I delivered VBAC at SAMC and they let me walk around, use a ball and stuff.  I wanted to go med free, but the nurse and my DH told me an epidural wouldn't slow my labor since I was already at 7cm dilation..I wanted them to tell me I could do it!!  haha..but I'm in the same boat - wanting to find a midwife.  I've been told it's illegal to deliver at home in AL but you can have a midwife and deliver in the hospital.  I just can't find anyone in Dothan that's a midwife!
  • tshores90 said:
    I delivered VBAC at SAMC and they let me walk around, use a ball and stuff.  I wanted to go med free, but the nurse and my DH told me an epidural wouldn't slow my labor since I was already at 7cm dilation..I wanted them to tell me I could do it!!  haha..but I'm in the same boat - wanting to find a midwife.  I've been told it's illegal to deliver at home in AL but you can have a midwife and deliver in the hospital.  I just can't find anyone in Dothan that's a midwife!
    I've heard that about SAMC but I'll be delivering at Flowers and it's kinda late for me to comfortably switch Dr's now. I know my mom will happily tell the Dr and nurses to leave me alone but I dread the thought of being stuck in a bed the WHOLE time I'm in labor. I go back to see my Dr on the 24th so here's hoping that when I talk with her...she'll settle my nerves about the whole situation and tells me that I won't be stuck in the bed.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think they would make u stay in bed if you're going med free..that wouldn't make sense lol.  Have you typed up a birth plan?  Write out what you do and don't want during labor and delivery and make copies..have a stack for the nurse and in coming nurses in your room.  Discuss it with your doc before you deliver.
  • I talked over my options with my Dr and thankfully she supports my decision on a med free birth and she will make sure her staff knows my wishes! And she told me that as long as there are no complications that I will be able to be up and moving and not stuck in a hospital bed. YAY!
  • What doctor are you using?  I'm considering a switch..
  • Dr Johnson at the Women's Center in Flowers Hospital. I absolutely love her! She's not one of those 'stuck in my ways' or 'I'm always right and you're just the dumb patient' type! 
  • Houston prenatal clinic behind SAMC has midwifes. I like them.
  • 'Hi,
    Do you all know which Drs support VBACs in Dothan? I am hoping to have one for my next delivery.

• Just hopping back on here to say I found a doula for this pregnancy!  www.mamasfriend.com We just finished our Bradley classes with them, and it's been fantastic.  I'm due in June with #3, but this is the only pregnancy I've felt so confident and prepared.

@nhgreen - I don't know a list of doctors supporting VBAC, but I am currently seeing Dr. Phillips with Dothan OBGYN - and she's all for me attempting my second VBAC.  In fact, she had two VBACs herself!  She's very low-intervention minded if that's what you're looking for.  The other two docs in her group (Middleton and Robinson) are on board with VBACs, too.  As long as you didn't have an emergency c-section, I think most docs are ok with it.
  • 'Hi,
    Do you all know which Drs support VBACs in Dothan? I am hoping to have one for my next delivery.

I really think most OBGYNs here support VBACs, assuming you're having a normal, healthy pregnancy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"