Pregnant after a Loss

AW: Mother Vent!!!

My mother has always made things about her to gain sympathy or attention. When I had my MC last Dec she posted on FB that "she didnt know how she could go on living knowing that her grandbaby was in heaven" and for people to pray for her. I had already told her that I wanted to keep this personal and that when I was ready I would discuss it with who I thought would be understanding. Nope. So that was the straw that broke the camels back. I broke off all ties to her until Friday.

My best friend has been trying to get me to talk and clear things up. So I invited her out with me to go shopping. All was good and then on Sunday I invited her to a movie since my hubby left for training. When I went to drop her off she asked me if she could be in the delivery room. I told her that I had decided to just have my OB and Doula because I wanted to avoid any extra stress. (she is inconsiderate and makes comments when its not what she wants and stress me out).

Then she asked how often she was going to be able to watch our little girl. I told her that DH and I had decided that we didnt feel comfortable with her watching her alone due to her medical issues. (3 strokes, bad thyroid and diabetic-but drinks Pepsi like its going to run out!) Not to mention that she constantly asks my family to come "help" her because shes too weak and cant lift 5 pounds for more than 20 sec. Well she flipped and said that it wasent true and that im keeping her grand child from her.

I had to leave at that point. I was furious! I had told her she could come over and spend time with her at our home with one of us present. (shes a hoarder and doesnt clean up after her cat and dog-filthy home!!!)  Nope thats not even it! She called half my family to tell them I wont let her see our little girl, and was then criticized for my decision. What do I do?!?!? I have legit reasons why I have made these decisions and its with LO health and safety in mind. I feel I need to just cut the ties completely and have zero contact because she makes me so angry!

Sorry for the long rant. Getting off work and having 4 mean voicemails about my decisions sent me over the edge! Enjoy some fall goodies!

My hubby and I have been together since 2008. Married 5 years in Dec. DX with PCOS and annovulatory hypothalamus. TTC for baby #2 for 10 months BFP on May 29th 2015

imageimage

Re: AW: Mother Vent!!!

• Sorry you are dealing with this! Big ((hugs)).
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BFP 4/17/13, MC began 5/2/13 @ 6 weeks
    EDD 12/27/13
    TTC since 2/2013
    BFP#2 9/23/13 EDD 6/8/14

My FF Chart

imageimageimage
  • ((hugs)) So sorry that you have to deal with this. I would just give it some time to sink in for your Mom and see if she starts to deal with coming to your house. Hope things get better.

BFP#1 05.2005- didn't know I was pg until m/c.

BFP#2 11.01.11 EDD 07.15.12  m/c 11.26.11 @ 6.5 weeks

BFP#3 03.12.12 EDD 11.26.12 mm/c 04.29.12 @ 8 weeks

BFP#4 10.08.12 EDD 06.08.13 m/c 11.29.12 @ 8.5 weeks

cp on 03.27.13 BFP#5 09/10/13 EDD 05.25.14 Induced & Emergency C-section 05/09/14 

Lilypie - (7skc) 

• Loading the player...
  • Oh the joys of family! I can totally sympathize with you- she sounds like she's well-meaning but a pain in the a$$ like my mom. I say life is short- try to keep the peace. I can see why she'd be offended but understand your reasons too. Good luck!
  • So frustrating. We are oing through something similar with mil. She doesn't get around well and smokes like a chimney bu thinks we will let her keep our baby... At the end of the day we are our childrens protectors and guardians. Their health and safety take priority over hurt feelings. ((Hugs))

married my best friend 10/04/08, TTC since July 2012
    BFP#1 Thanksgiving 11/22/12, mo-mo twins(one sac), traditional EDD 7/27/13, EDD due to risk 6/15/13
    mmc Angel 2/7/13 @ 15w3d, mmc Aubrey 2/13/13 @ 16w2d, D&E 2/16/13

BFP#2 9/21/13, EDD 6/2/14, DD born 5/17/14 

imageimage image

All AL always welcome in my threads!

• It's family fun posting day today :/ If you don't feel safe having your mom around LO alone or in her home you have to do what you feel is best. Unfortunately this is going to be one of many tough choices you have to makers a parent. You don't have to 100% sort anything out until LO is born so take your time to think on it.
  • Im glad that someone can relate to me even if I don't wish this irritation on anyone! I was so irritated that I called my father (they are divorced) and talked to him. He told me that God has intrusted us with our children's lives and its our responsibility to protect them. He even told me he is going to call and have a chat with her because of the stress she is causing me at a really hard time. With DH leaving in a few weeks for deployment I am already stressed enough that I now have a twitch in my left eye!
    My hubby and I have been together since 2008. Married 5 years in Dec. DX with PCOS and annovulatory hypothalamus. TTC for baby #2 for 10 months BFP on May 29th 2015

imageimage
  • Oh I am so sorry you have to deal with this. I totally agree with your dad. In the end you need to do what is best for you and your LO. ((Big Hugs)) 

"Go in peace! I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evil." -Gandalf 
    m/c #1 01/10/12
    BFP #2 01/18/13. EDD 09/10/13. Missed m/c 02/18/13. 
    BFP #3 5/1/13 My rainbow DS born 1/13/14
    BFP #4 11/11/15 spontaneous m/c 12/28/15
    BFP#5  Praying for another rainbow in February!

• I am so sorry about this! You're doing the right thing by protecting your LO first. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

TTC since July 2011

BFP # 1: m/c at 7wks (EDD May 2012) 

BFP #2: c/p in Nov. 2012 

BFP #3: July 24th, 2013 (EDD April 4th, 2014)

*PgAL / PAL Always Welcome*

My Ovulation Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

• *HUGS* brutal :S
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
    BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
    Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • Sounds so stressful, maybe after time she will realize that you are right. Maybe the next time she asks for help she will realize she couldn't watch a baby.
  • sjelwood said:
    At the end of the day we are our childrens protectors and guardians. Their health and safety take priority over hurt feelings. ((Hugs))
    This.  You need to do what you feel is best for your little one.  She's lashing out, calling your relatives because she's hurt, but I hope she will come around and enjoy time with her granddaughter at your house.
    This!  Hang in there.  {{{hugs}}}

We can't wait to meet you, our baby surfer GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary

IMG_0517
  • I'm sorry you're dealing with this. Mmmmm... pumpkin roll.

BFP#1  9/5/12, MMC, MC confirmed 10/9/12,          
                D&C 12/12/12
    BFP#2 7/30/13, EDD 4/12/14, DS born 4/14/14

imageimage

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Goodness. That sounds horrible.  I agree with several of the pp.  You are a mama now and make the decisions for your baby.  She should respect that, but doesn't.  Stand strong with your decisions because they sound like totally rationale and well-reasoned ones.  

I also agree with the pp about keeping the peace.  Sounds like you have already been doing that by reaching out to her after she hurt your feelings.  Maybe just reach out to her and keep being the bigger person.
    Married 8/4/12
    BFP #1 EDD 12/5/13, MMC
    BFP #2 EDD 4/27/14- Our rainbow arrived 5/1/14!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • (((((Hugs))))) I'm so so sorry.

mean_girls_35345Image and video hosting by TinyPic         PAL Sep challenge George Takei image
    Started dating in 5/9/05, Married 6/25/11
    Started TTC Feb 2013, BFP #1 3/4/13 EDD 11/10/13. MMC 4/9/13 D&C 4/22/13.
    BFP #2 7/17/13, EDD 3/29/14 ended in a CP on 7/22/13.
    BFP#3 8/19/13 EDD 5/3/14 Nerdling was born 4/29/14, welcome little one!
     All AL welcome.

image   Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Holy crap what a nightmare.  I am pretty feisty and unforgiving so this is what I would do if it were me:  "Mom, here are my reasons for feeling uncomfortable with you watching LO alone (then you mention the strokes, the fact that she needs assistance lifting things, calling people for help--give lots of examples so she knows you're not just "overgeneralizing" or "being dramatic").   You have two options.  You can respect my decision as a mother to this child to do what is best for my child and you can see LO with another individual present on a weekly basis (or whatever time you feel comfortable with--less, more, etc.).  Or, you can not respect my decision and then you will not see LO or be a part of LO's life.  It is totally 100% up to you."

As for everyone else judging or taking your mom's side, F them.  Whoever would believe your mom or take her side over yours is clearly F'ed in the head and I wouldn't worry about it. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 

BFP #1 6/28/11 ~ EDD 3/7/12 ~ m/c 7/15/11 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/29/11 ~ EDD 5/12/12. 4/25/12: Our take home baby is here!
     BFP #3 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/11/14.  4/27/14:  Our second take home baby is here!

• Thanks ladies! I think I really needed to hear from others that I wasent out of line reacting the way I am.

imageimage
  • You are not overreacting at all. I can't imagine going through all of what you have been through with your mum. I am so sorry that she is taking that kind of attitude with it and not seeing things from your perspective. I will be just as protective over my LO when it comes out and have family that I don't want him/her to be alone with for reasons as well. You are only doing the best thing for your LO. I hope in time she can see that too.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#1 BFP 26/May/2013 EDD 27/Jan/2014 MC at 5 weeks, 2 days 
    #2 BFP 04/Aug/2013 EDD April 18th, 2014. Baby M born May 2, 2014.

• I can totally sympathize and apologize you are going through this.
    The people who truly know your mom will understand your reasoning and likely be rolling their eyes at your mother's FB post thinking, "good for Tink"...
    Your mom sounds like she's maladjusted, selfish and likes drama. I'd remove myself from her incendiary comments, you have other priorities now. I know it's easier said than done but, you have to not give in to her requests, it may not even be worth rationalizing to your mother. She can either accept your choices or not...
    I had a very similar situation that forced me to cut ties to my mother (even before I found out I was pregnant--the 1st time or this time), and now, she has coerced her family members to badger me to get me to be on speaking terms with her (even though my mother is in the wrong, I'm supposed to be the one to permit her unbalanced behavior). It's been tough.
    T&P for you and your LO.
  • So sorry that you are going through all that stress (along with what you had going on anyway!), and that some other relatives apparently don't understand your mother's, um, let's say "peculiarities" and let themselves get manipulated into her drama and into being rude to you.  

PPs and your dad have expressed so well how valid and important it is for you to make decisions you know are right to protect your baby's well-being.  As for cutting ties or reaching out from time to time to keep the peace - every family and person is different.  If you feel there's a chance that you may later regret missed opportunities to spend time with your mother despite her not so lovable qualities, or regret not seeing her in the grandmother role with your baby, then inviting her (not too often) for well-structured visits, ideally with a Plan B in place (someone who can just happen to arrive (on call) to take either you or your mother somewhere very important) if things aren't going well, might be a good idea, especially if you can do them at times when you'll have more of a support system around (DH home, or plans with a good friend the next day, or whatever is your best relief).  But if you really have reached the point where you are comfortable cutting off ties due to her hurtful behavior and also are comfortable putting up with or ignoring relatives who take her side, and know you will not regret it later, then cutting ties is a totally legitimate choice for you to make.  You have to keep yourself and your own new family healthy!  

hugs and best wishes.
    Me: 39  DH: 44  together since 2000 married 9/2004 TTC #1 since 2/2012
    BFP #1 6/5/2012  m/c 6/15/2012 about 5w3d   BFP #2 6/?/2013 m/c 7/1/2013 5w 3d
    BFP #3 8/25/2013  EDD 5/7/2014    DD A. born 5/8/2014!!  Love!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"