April 2014 Moms

What does it feel like?

To the STM+ and/or mommas who are further along than me, what do flutters feel like?!? And how does the sensation differ from actual kicks? I know we have a ton of clever and eloquent ladies in A14 so I'm looking forward to your descriptions :)

I gently pushed on my belly last night out of habit and I swear I felt an arm or a leg wiggle! I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow.

Re: What does it feel like?

• They feel like bubbles traveling upwards.
    photo ee249d6c-880a-4eb4-bc43-d6ab1f9fe662.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • No bubbles here. To me it feels like the baby has a paint brush in their hand and they are painting the inside wall of your stomach. I felt my first LO at 14.5 weeks and it felt like he poked me with his finger. After that it was the paint brush...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yup like little bubbles or twitches. Later on the weirdest feeling was when DS got hiccups!
  • I started feeling Skippy at 16 weeks, and it felt like popcorn, or a fart in the wrong place. Eventually, as he got bigger, it just felt like someone rubbing my insides, or bumping me in the belly. It's weird, but so fascinating. This time, I have an anterior placenta, but I am feeling little scooches on the base of my uterus and bumps directly under my naval - I'm picturing him jumping like he's on a trampoline in there. Our sonographer showed me yesterday where the baby's head and feet were during my ultrasound (which wasn't pregnancy related, but he gave us a sneak peak anyway), and those fluttery sensations are exactly where the baby's head and feet/butt are. He's really big for his age already, too - measuring almost 15 weeks, but we know exactly what day I ovulated, so my ticker is right.  :D

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • Eija3014Eija3014 member
    edited October 2013
    I know this sounds stupid, but I didn't even consider that it could feel different to each individual. Wow my FTM level of experience is showing :\">

What I felt 1) scared the crap out of me because I was not expecting it and 2) felt like when someone brushes up against you by accident. But it felt like a tiny person and it was inside of me.

I've never had gas pains or anything like that. Does it sound like indigestion or gas pains could have been the culprit? (It was not painful at all)
  • To me it felt like bubbles popping it made me giggle a little.
    My Alice in Wonderland Baby Shower 3/30/2014
    Instagram photo by sassijae - Baby shower time... #laylascoming #sisterinlaw #aliceinwonderland #teaparty #cantwaittilltiffgetshere

October 30, 2011
  • I thought it felt like someone waving their hand underwater near you, or a fish swimming by your leg, its there and then gone. Like a little blip.
    Married my keeper ~ 7.14.07
    Furbaby joined us ~ 9.21.07
    First BFP ~ 7.4.11
    DD Born ~ 3.14.12
    Second BFP ~ Feb 2013 ~ EDD ~ 10.19.13
    Angel Baby born ~ 5.1.13

imageimage
  • Like a goldfish flipping around, deep inside and lower than you expect.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can only explain it as a twitch.  Like the feeling you get when your eye lid starts twiching.  It is odd, but clearly different from a gas pain.

Our baby boy,Logan, was born still at 19w3d on 7/1/2011
    Our 2nd baby boy, Mason, was born still at 20w3d on 1/31/2012

After a much needed sanity break... we are praying for our rainbows

((BFP 7/29/13))  ((EDD 4/12/14))  It's BOY/GIRL twins!!!

• I'm a FTM, 14w3d and I THINK I've felt the baby a few times. To me it's almost like getting tickled from the inside...but I may be wrong and I'm incredibly ticklish so who knows.
    ~Chrissy 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Eija3014 said:
    I know this sounds stupid, but I didn't even consider that it could feel different to each individual. Wow my FTM level of experience is showing :\"> What I felt 1) scared the crap out of me because I was not expecting it and 2) felt like when someone brushes up against you by accident. But it felt like a tiny person and it was inside of me. I've never had gas pains or anything like that. Does it sound like indigestion or gas pains could have been the culprit? (It was not painful at all)
    Sounds like baby movement to me!  My midwives told me I would feel the movements earlier this time because I know what to look for.  Last time I would have written the movements I've been feeling off as gas or something else.

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The paintbrush comparison is close to the first movements I felt with DD at 18 weeks. I said it felt like a little bug running across my belly, it tickled a little. Not long after though, the kicks started. They're unmistakeable!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic

~Amanda
    All are welcome in my posts

• I like the paint bush one! I always explained it as someone very lightly tickling me
  • Nijay714 said:

I agree with the bubbles, and fart in the wrong place.. Lol.. Wait til you're further along and your baby is positioned on one side of your tummy then rolls to the other side! To actually see and feel that is the coolest experience ever!

FTM with twins here 14w3days but I swear I can feel them when I lay down or on my side and it's like they just move there and you can feel the hardness in the area, they almost shift for a second and settle... This happen to anyone else or maybe just cause there are 2?? I haven't felt flutters though.. Sometimes gas bubble movements but it could be my gas ha
  • For me it felt just like bubbles. I never had the paintbrush sensation.

• I have not felt anything yet. I barely even feel any hardness. I think i have too big of a fat layer. Does that make everything harder to feel?
  • With my first, I felt them barely at 14. Now I'm 12 and it's early but I'm almost sure I've felt something. ( your uterus is a little softer after you've had a baby, plus you know what it feels like)

If you lay on your back and relax and put your hand on your stomach low, above your pubic area you can feel your pulse in your belly. First flutters are a lot like your pulse but not in rythm like your heart, then the further along you get the stronger and more obvious they will get !!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Ya i also looked pregnant, like 6 months. My belly has always been the only thing that was really fat on me till i stopped eating gluten, then my belly went way down. Now that im eating lots of bread again i know i have wheat belly bloat. Im just praying i dont gain the weight all over!
  • Xxooxtina said:

I have not felt anything yet. I barely even feel any hardness. I think i have too big of a fat layer. Does that make everything harder to feel?

The first flutters you don't feel from the outside, you feel them from the inside, so your "fat layers" won't make any difference in feeling those first flutters!

But be patient,some women don't feel anything til they get near their 20th week ultrasound visit! Every baby is different and every woman's body is different!

But let me courage you, one day soon you will be sitting there, minding your own business and you will feel a sensation that will surprise you and you will know for sure that was your baby moving! :)

Pregnancy Ticker

• I cant wait!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"